Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day 2007

I am very blessed to have two wonderful daughters. Both healthy. Both smart. Both beautiful. Both loving. Both funny. Both sarcastic, one a bit more than the other...They each have very bright futures. I have no doubt they will each become whomever they want to become, unless some loser guy leads them astray! Joking....hopefully.

Everybody is still asleep. I hear the chirping of Tivo downstairs, so I think the hub is up. The girls wanted to make breakfast in bed for me, but I get up at five and they get up around ten. I can eat at the table with them. Just being with them is the best.

I don't know if it's hormones or depression, but these past couple of weeks have been hard on me. I have been letting things build up inside me until I finally exploded the other day. I felt horrible after and went to bed. Had a good cry, apologized for snapping. I felt like the worst mother in the world. I know I am not the best, by any stretch, but I felt horrible. I know mothers are not perfect. We do the best we can and hope they find a good therapist when they grow up. Or sooner, as it is more socially acceptable now days.

It is difficult to let them make their own mistakes when we know what to do. We must let them make their own mistakes though. These are important lessons. Yesterday, while in the car with the girls and a friend, I mentioned that they cannot get away with anything. Their grades and attendance are posted online and checked by the hub often. Not because he is concerned they did anything wrong, but because he is proud and curious. I used to steal the cut notices out of the Saturday mail every week! My parents didn't have a clue. I told the girls it was too bad they cannot get away with anything. They asked why, as they don't want to get in trouble. I told them it is just sort of a right of passage. I learned a lot growing up the way I did. It showed me another side to things. I think it makes me more rounded (no pun here) as a person and especially as a mom.

My mother died eight years ago and I miss her. She died to soon. Alzheimer's. Horrible horrible disease.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you wonderful Moms.

8 comments:

Grumpy Old Man said...

Which one do ya think is more sarcastic?

alan said...

You can't say you aren't a good Mother when you've raised two such wonderful girls!

We all have our moments in this life, and when hormones kick in then you are excused and understood! It's not your fault when your body's in the driver's seat!

Right now Dottie's asleep under the window unit on her side of the bed with it set on 66 or so. She might be under a sheet, but no more than that. When I go to bed I'll be under a sheet and two blankets, and sometimes I have to slip the sheet up over my balding head to keep it warm.

It's not her fault or yours!

Just another rite of passage!

Happy Mother's Day!

alan

author said...

Happy mothers day several days late!
The sign of a good mother is one who is willing to apologize when they act human. You did that.

Green tea said...

Oh Babs,
Mothers day has been hard for me ever since my mom died.
Nov. 2nd 1994
I posted about my Mom, hoping it would help, but to be honest, it still took me to this past weekend to get out of my funk.
I should be OK, until November and then back to my funk till the holidays are over.
Even Rosie mentioned she was in a mood all weekend..
Hang in there, and if it gets too bad, have a Hot Fudge Sunday.
Works for me..*smile*
GiGi from Rosies Buddies

Green tea said...

Sorry Nancy,
I wrote the wrong name...LOL
GiGi

Dr. Deb said...

Hey, Nancy, just dropping in to say hi.

for_the_lonely said...

Wishing you a wonderful Monday! I hope that your Mother's Day was beautiful! Do know that I think of you!

XOXO,
Sarah

A Flowered Purse said...

Hope you had a good mothers day.
Hugs and lots of love
Dianna