Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Imports

I just read that our country is buying more imported cars than domestic, for the first time ever. I say let's make it cool to buy American made cars again. We can make a difference. Shaming people who buy foreign cars won't be so hard. We did it with smokers, fur owners, SUV owners all for the greater good. Why not do it for our country? Why is it that American cars are for the most part, ugly? Not all, but many models are just matronly looking. Missing some blinds in the back window is all! For the record, I don't smoke any more and haven't for seventeen months. I don't have any furs, once had a sweater with a fur collar that I really liked though. I drive an American SUV. I would like my next car to be an American hybrid. Now, if only there is one I like.

We have hit the one trillion dollar mark for spending for this war. I have nothing nice to say so I won't.

On a lighter note, an old woman in a Camry (foreign!) pulled out in front of me yesterday. She had to be ninety. My first thought, after I honked at her, as did the person behind me, was that she really shouldn't be driving any longer. I honked at her not because she pulled out in front of me, but because she was going zero mph! Seriously. No gas. She was looking at a house under construction as she was going nowhere. There were four unhappy people in cars behind me. The elderly woman rounded the corner and when she could manage the wheel with one hand, she flipped me off!!! I started laughing so damn hard. She could see me laughing too. I didn't flip her off, I just laughed. As we rounded the next corner, she turned onto the first street and honked as if to tell me "Screw You" and I followed her. I was turning as well. I am sure when I turned she thought I was a woman with road rage and maybe she shouldn't have flipped me off. I stopped to drop my daughter off at her friend's and the woman drove on. Still, how funny that this elderly woman flipped me off. I suppose if I am lucky enough to make it to that age, I would do the very same thing.

8 comments:

alan said...

Being an American autoworker, I've seen this coming for almost 30 years. No matter how productive we are, as long as they have national health care and we don't, it's not going to change.

We are building a Saturn hybrid that will "knock your socks off", and a Malibu is soon to follow.

Imagine what that trillion dollars could have done had we spent half on education and half on health care?

Somehow I bet Granny was afraid you were going to debeak her bird!

alan

Dr. Deb said...

OMG, THAT must have been funny after the anger subsided!

Heidi said...

I can't help but laugh..but that is too funny about the elderly woman..lol

Carie said...

I want a hybri car as well, but it needs to be big enough to hold 4 large dogs and Ash and her friends lol...good luck for me right lol but we do drive an american made gad guzzler :)

ok about old people flipping the bird...my grandma is one of those slow drivers lol, she is so silly, we were downtown and she was going maybe 5mph and people were honking and freaking her out, but then this tiny little old man on a trik (3 wheeled bike) went peddling past and flipped her off...my grandma pulled over and nearly wet herself at the fact that the old man on the bike was going faster than her and flipped her off, that was the day she hung up her keys lol...but man does my daughter love telling her friends about that day ;)

Jaded said...

Hybrids are only good if you travel on the highway. Travel in town runs on gas, just as a non hybrid car does. If you do a lot of driving on the highway, a hybrid is a good thing, otherwise, it makes no difference.

That old lady was probably pissed that you were laughing at her...too too funny! Oh, and I drive an American car!

zbjernak said...

we should fight for immunity amulet for 90+ years old ppl...

the reason, if you live past 90, you are entitle to do everything possible!

for_the_lonely said...

I hate to say it, but I always get a good laugh out of elderly people that flip others off. They always seem to sweet to do such a thing! LOL

Hope you are well!

Love ya,
Sarah

Phoebe said...

Months behind the times, but here goes. What is an American car? I have a Honda CR-V. I checked on the lot at the dealership and some of the identical cars were made in the UK, in Japan (as mine was which makes me believe it has better quality than any of the others, but I'm sure that will infuriate some), in Canada and the US. The parts are made all over the world--as are the parts for GM, Ford and the other so-called American cars. Many models of American brands are made in Canada.

For Ford and GM to ever get my business again, they are going to have to make cheaper, more reliable, more interesting cars than they currently make. Haven't driven an American car since the 60's when I had a Chevy Nova convertible.

Come to Kent and drive near the PO and the supermarket. There are little old ladies who never go farther than those two destinations and church. Watch out when they back up! Give them plenty of room and remember that in a few more years, we will be them!