Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Three More Days

Three more days of school! Half days as well. Finals this week too. Doesn't that just suck? Last week of school and three days of finals. Last year they had three days of finals and the last day was basically for yearbook signing. This time, they will be busy for the final three days. It lessens the excitement of the end of the school year for the kids. Zoe isn't feeling the excitement and when I picked up Katharine and a friend yesterday, they concurred.

Actually, Katharine, who is in middle school has two days of finals and one day of yearbook signing. She will have fun on Thursday afterall. They will get their yearbooks and spend the half day signing each other's books. The way I think it should be.

These kids work very hard. Much harder than I did when I was in high school. The amount of homework is insane. I realize that the teachers don't have time to go over everything in the curriculum, but to send it home every night is rough on the kids. As in years past, the teachers have spent the past couple of weeks cramming in the remaining work that was not done thru the year. This is very hard on everybody. The teachers also have to keep the grades up to date on the computer for students and parents to get with a click of a key. You can bet there are parents who call the school if the teacher has not updated the site in a day or two! While handy to have all this information, it is more work for already overworked, underpaid teachers.

Had this technology existed when I was in school, I probably would have been a better student. Well, that would also have depended on whether my parents would have used the technology. We got cut notices in the mail every Saturday like clock work. I got them before my parents did and destroyed them every week. The school did not call either. It was pretty lame. We had minimal homework given. Nothing like today. And we had a blast the last week of school. Ditch day, off to the beach daily after school. No finals the last week! We got to be kids and I wish my kids could be feel the excitement of how the last week is supposed to feel. I know they have in the past, maybe as they get older, things are just different!

In other news....31 years ago today I was having a baby. 6:51 AM, June 20, 1975. He is 31 today. If he is still alive. I hope he is and that he is having a wonderful birthday celebration with his family!

9 comments:

author said...

I didn't know that about your son.
What a gift you gave to someone and to him. Bravo Nancy.
Had you posted about it before I came along?

Glad the girls get their yearbooks before school is out, ours don't get theirs until the next year. For graduates it is impossible to get anyone to sign them.
Hope you are ok...

Just Jan said...

wow school goes on long out there. Schools here have been out for 2 weeks!!

Cindy said...

I got a letter from the school yesterday, they are holding Anthony's report card hostage until his lost book is paid for. $45

They did say that he passed all but one of the five Ohio Graduation Tests, this is good. He has 2 more tries.

He also does not get his yearbook until the first day of school in the fall, the most stupidest thing I've ever heard of........but I guess we're not alone.

Jan said...

I just went back a year ago and read all your entries about
"choices". Thank you for sharing a difficult time in your life with us. Happy Birthday to your son.

Thanks for the reply on my blog...not that I have udated. It's is great to have 2 days off to be with Annie and family.

Playground In My Mind said...

Wow. I was catapulted back to my senior year in h.s. when we were signing yearbooks.
I hope 31-year old is celebrating, too. God bless you; this was a heart-warming revelation. You are so strong. Renee

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday to your son Nancy.
Hugs~

Last night I went with a friend to pick up her son at his graduation party..OMG I felt so old..Brought back so many memories...I think they had more fun than did..lol

alan said...

Happy Birthday thoughts Mom!

If he's anything like the ones at home, he's something special!

Thinking of you and yours...

alan

Keasty said...

Gday Nancy... just called in... so thought I'd say HI.
I'm an Aussie travelling through Canada (USA again soon.)
Enjoy school hols! And yes, they should ban homework!

zbjernak said...

i have never know abt this too...

have u seen him before after that?

anyhow...summer holiday now...
is time to party and to celebrate.. no?

is time for all the chaos with the kids at home... no?