Thursday, June 01, 2006

Nancy Drew

No really, Nancy Drew the sleuth.

Years ago Zoe finished the whole collection of Nancy Drew books. I think there are sixty five books in all. A while back she brought them all upstairs and boxed them up. She needed the space on her wall to wall, ceiling to floor bookshelves. The space was filled up quickly enough. Anyhow, normally I take the books up to the elementary school library. Last haul I took, I was told to take them in to the library. I took them in and thought it would at least warrant a "thank you!" Not.




I was happy about giving books to the school over the years, but with no appreciation, I was pretty done! We gave them several hundred books over the years. I should have been giving them to a needy school instead. This time with a full set of books in hand, I thought why not put these on eBay? They have been sitting in the garage and need a home. I thought maybe we could make a couple of bucks on eBay. Apparently, that is about all they are worth!




I went to Amazon.com to see what they were going for. Little did I know the books go up to more than 175 currently! I thought the writer Carolyn Keene was real too. Apparently that was a pen name and there have been and continue to be several writers for the Nancy Drew Series. So, we no longer have a full set of books. Neither does my friend Jana. She has 56 books that she read when she was a girl. I called her and she is now giving away her books as well. Used books are going for up to about two buck each. New books cost about eleven bucks these days. By the way, all the new books, which come out every other month or so, are in paperback. We have hardcovers. The books looks are updated, but that is to be expected for something that has been ongoing since 1930!



Here is a link if you want to read all about it. Nancy Drew

The first book shown is number 2 of at least 175. Then it shows a Gameboy game of Nancy Drew. Also shown, the newer look, is book number 134.

7 comments:

zbjernak said...

nancy drew...
those detective kiddie story book...
i read a lot of it..

but is in MALAY language..translated... heheheehe

alan said...

I read all of those I could find back in grade school. Somewhere I have my summer reading card from the "Friendship 7 Summer Reading Club" all covered with little Mercury capsules...

Somehow, I know the new ones just aren't the same!

alan

Heidi said...

I never read Nancy Drew books,only watched the TV series.

It's their loss now /the library..I would feel the same way..It takes 2 seconds to say "thankyou".

for_the_lonely said...

You'd think that the books would be worth so much more....I know that if you listed on Ebay as a lot, that you would more than likely sell it!!! Wishing you luck!

Love ya,
Sarah

Jaded said...

Going to the library every Saturday morning to pick out a new Nancy Drew book is one of my favorite childhood memories. I read one that the library had, and I re-read the ones I really liked.

I had no idea that the author wasn't actually a woman named Carolyn Keene, nor that the books have continued!

A Flowered Purse said...

I have never ever read those! i may check them out!
thats awful that they give you no appreciation or thanks.
My aunt used to run a library down in a low income neighborhood and the books were so appreciated
Hugs and have a wonderful weekend nancy
Love
dianna

Carie said...

my daughter read all the old ones and some of the new ones, she reads everything, alls she ever asks for is books for holidays or gift cards for the book store lol...I am always trying to find great deals on books for her, I never thought to try ebay

we have donated alot of books over the year, we give them to the marjorie mason foundation here (safe place for abused women and their children) or to the red cross, we tried her school but the books never seemed to make it to the kids that needed it...

Ashley has over 2000 books in her room 4 book cases full and then stacks lol and she has read all of them multiple times...I have a book addict and I am so proud of her :)