Saturday, July 29, 2006

Does this offend you?

See here

It does not offend me in the least! Whoopee a breast. I was a discreet breastfeeding mother of two children totaling 25 months. If they needed to eat, that took priority over everything else. If somebody got a glimpse of my breast or didn't like what I was doing, too damn bad!

We are taught that breastfeeding is the best for our babies. Why is it so disturbing for people to see a breast? The photo on the cover is of a sweet baby looking up at its mother. I remember that loving look. How can it be a problem to put this on the cover of a magazine with people thinking it is gross? Are breastfeeding mothers supposed to stay out of sight and only come out when they know their child will not be hungry? That is totally unrealistic. They eat on demand, they eat different amounts at different times due to growth spurts, among other factors. It is impossible to feed a baby and expect he/she will be content with full tummy for a shower, let alone a trip to the supermarket!

We live in a culture of teenagers and young women with their thongs or cracks hanging out of the back of their pants and that seems to be acceptable everywhere we go. I find this trend disturbing a lot more than a baby breastfeeding. I hope my daughters grow up and breast feed comfortably and without shame and if it helps now to "put it out there" so to speak, then I am all for it!

5 comments:

Carie said...

I breast fed Ashley as well, they say it gives them so much more nutrients and helps fight off and the bad things...I was young so I was way shy about it...if we went to the store I would sometimes go to the car to do it or go to the restroom, lol but I never withheld from feeding her...and I wasn't ashamed, not of feeding her...just a scared kid lol...I think its sad that this has become contriversial (sp) when its so natural and right...if I were to have another baby I would nurse them as well...its a beautiful moment between mother and child

Heidi said...

No big wup to me..I'm part of the 83% so fdar that said it's fine. ( I took the poll)

I agree with Annie..Beautiful, Natural and Right.

for_the_lonely said...

I have never had any hard feelings towards breasts or women that care to breast feed their children. Nuf said. LOL :)

Love you and hope that you are doing well!

Sarah

alan said...

My wife breast-fed both of ours, despite my Mom's interference; my daughter-in-law fed all 3 of the grandkids.

My own thought is that Madison Avenue is responsiblez; if they can't make it taboo and "disturbing" somehow then they couldn't use them to sell things...

alan

A Flowered Purse said...

I saw that and it didn't offend me at all. I think people just need stuff to complain about! It's ignorance on their part. i read above about all your hits! too funny and glad you solved the mystery scooby!!
love
di