Saturday, January 20, 2007

Spell check

So, I was writing a note the to the PE couch so Katharine didn't have to run the mile on Friday. She stubbed her toe and then reopened the injury with the corner of a door...Ouch.

I write the note and immediately question the spelling of one word that I wrote. No spell check in sight, I go to the computer and click dictionary. Check the word and it is correct, but while I am there, I decide to check a couple more just in case. Second guessing my spelling is something I rarely did before spell check, because I have always been a good speller and had confidence.

I have never gotten into using speed dial due to the trap I am now in with spelling. I wanted to remember the numbers and I was proud of the quantity of numbers I could store in my brain, for most of my life for some numbers. I didn't want to lose the ability by using speed dial.

Here I am, do I stop using spell check so I remember how words are spelled and make myself think? I actually do the best I can with spelling still and think I do a pretty good job as I always have, but with that little click of the button so easily accessible, I will double check my spelling every time. Except when I am handwriting something.

Now calculators are a completely different story. I would die without one of those! They have made doing math by hand, obsolete. Sad really, but then, I never thought I would need all the crap I learned in high school!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's knot whys to rely two much on spell checking soft wear.

Heidi said...

I'm known to my friends oline as the " typo queen" :X

Anonymous said...

I get by fairly well without it most of the time, though every now and then I'll blow one that makes me think I need to find some of those brain cells I was busy frying 30 years ago...

:o)

alan