Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Perfume

You know how you apply perfume or cologne and think how strong it is? I do this and I know that the smell will grow faint in time, to where only I can "really" smell it. Then I'll get the compliment from somebody about my perfume. Or the question asking what I am wearing. Of course this brings up the question of whether I am wearing too much or not. I put it on this morning and even I can barely smell it after a couple of hours.

Today at lunch, the waitress came over and asked which of us (three) were wearing the delicious smelling perfume. She literally smelled all of our necks and then couldn't figure out who was omitting the scent. She tried two other tables full of women, finally said it was stronger at out table. I told my friends jokingly, it was me, to which one replied, "It probably is, you always smell good." Again, I wonder if I am over doing it and nobody has told me. I know how awful it is to be around somebody who is overwhelming the air we breath with their scent. I don't want to be that person. On the other hand, I am a lot like the waitress when I smell something I love. I want the name and I cannot wait to wear it.

Well, it turned out to be me. She asked to smell my wrist and that was the scent she had to know the name of. She came from across the room and asked which of us smelled so good. That meant it had to be strong right? Not good, especially when people are trying to taste their food and not my perfume!

We did have a nice lunch. One friend, P, had her birthday the first part of December. We have tried to get together for her birthday lunch since then. Our other friend A and I gave P her birthday gifts over the holidays, but P refused to open them until her birthday lunch. She said otherwise we wouldn't have gotten together and she is probably right. I told her when she opened her gift that I had forgotten what I gave her. Plus, she brought her gifts to open. It was pretty funny.

It was a different sight to see so many people with sweaters and scarves on coming in and get a table near the fire at the restaurant. We have had some cold weather this winter with less than a couple inches of rain, until last night. We got about an inch. Still, we are way behind where we should be. Every storm seems to stop north of LA county and we are south of LA. Holding out hope for some more precipitation before winter goes away. I have been wanting sweater weather and it is truly here for us Californians. Most would laugh at this being only 52 degrees. But, that's okay, it was such a beautiful cold day. At one point during lunch I asked my friends to look out a window at the picturesque view. Relentless fall colored leaves still hanging on the trees, wet from the rain, with a mix of dark clouds and blue sky in the background. So striking. It is lovely to stop and smell the roses, but it is breathtaking to gaze at such beauty and remind ourselves how lucky we are to live where we do.

3 comments:

alan said...

I remember wearing my dress blues to walk line watches in San Diego and flight deck watches on the Ranger just because they were a lot warmer than our dungarees!

There seems to be no happy medium for anyone weather-wise of late; my fear is that it will grow worse much more quickly than anyone imagines!

Glad you got to "smell the roses"!

alan

Blogzie said...

Okay, I'm dying to know, what is name of the perfume?

x0x0x

Eric said...

Ah….the sweet, smell of perfume! Today's market is flooded with hundreds and hundreds of different fragrances ranging from floral to woodsy. Most women love the smell of perfume, wearing it even when going to the grocery store. The problem is that perfume allergy for some women, is anything but nice.