Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2007

I like the sound of 2007. I think it will be a good year. So far what I remember most is that we have had very little rain and every couple of days we have cold Santa Ana winds! Boring. I want winter. Our lower yard is a good twenty five feet from our upper deck. We had winds so crazy last week that one of the umbrellas went from the top deck to the lower yard like an arrow. It is still upside down in the grass down below. I did put the other two up a couple days ago, but last night, it felt like they were going to take flight again. Down they came. This time they are laying down. Last week when the umbrella that went to the yard below, it was also down, however not laying down. I am not sure how much time one can get for using an umbrella for a weapon, but I don't want to know. And knowing how I feel about creepy neighbor guy would not help my case!

Isn't is amazing how we think our houses are cluttered and then we take out the tree and decorations and it looks huge? I love that! I had to get the tree out two days after Christmas because it was so dry. In fact I got all the decorations and the tree out of the house, vacuumed too and not one child came upstairs. Zoe was sad to see the tree gone. Katharine was a bit sad too. I just wondered if anybody would notice. We gave away two cats to a place that keeps them til they are adopted, years ago. The kids didn't notice for weeks.

I cut off the top part of the tree and stuck it in green waste and the bottom went to the city where they have huge bins. We let them take the stand off the bottom. I am telling you, this was one of the prettiest trees we have had in years. Of course, it was real and the past five or so years we have used the fake one. But the fake trees are easier. No needles all over the place. No fire worries from the dry tree. Still, I think I would do it again. We used colored icicle lights that were on the house last year, for the tree. It was the best kept secret in town. There are three times the number of lights as a regular strand and the pieces that come down as icicles are great because you may push them into the middle of the tree. The results were stunning and gorgeous. So much color. I think I would even put it on a fake tree if I go that route next year. Seriously, next year, remember to use icicle lights for your tree, you will be pleased.

School's back in session tomorrow. The girls are sad, of course. Vacation went fast. As I told them, they only have seven or so weeks before they get another week off for ski week. Then they get a week for spring break and then it's June. Vacation did go fast though. David worked though. He works so hard. He did get some time off though.

I am not doing the resolution thing again. I don't play that game. I did quit smoking last year and it has been almost 11 months. I didn't resolve to do it. It was something I had to be ready to do and I did it. Period. Now I would like to lose weight this year, but I am not making a resolution to do so. I think instead of being an incentive, it is a hindrance and puts too much pressure on me if I don't make it. Better to do things when I can, if I feel I can. No need to beat myself up about it by starting a perfectly good year with a list of things to do. I know what's on the list already, no need to publicize it!

Happy 2007!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, my sister-friend!

It's always nice to find you here; a bright spot in my day!

I looked at some LED lights this year, but figure next year they'll be half as much. A lot less of a fire hazard on our real tree.

Poor tree will be deparing our house tomorrow. It has lasted well, but it is time. Dottie will put the decorations away tonight, and I will unwrap the lights, then tomorrow it goes off to the recycle point and hopefully I'll be catching some fish from over it later this spring with a grandchild or two!

I do feel guilty every year, and Zoe naming yours didn't help me in that regard! But my wife loves the real ones as they remind her of home, along with the Vermont balsam wreath I got her this year that's hanging not on our door, but behind her chair, lol!

I love the season, but would love to tone down the "rush" a bit!

alan

Heidi said...

Happy New Year Nancy..Maybe 2007 be healthy and happy for you and your family. Hugs~

Dr. Deb said...

Wishing all good things to you.

for_the_lonely said...

Best wishes to you in 2007!

Love,
Sarah