Friday, May 12, 2006

Happy Mother's Day



I know this is a couple days early, but the lull in my hectic day of mostly running around to and fro, makes this the ideal time to write this.

Being a mom is the best. Not always easy by any stretch. Worth the job and the best job on earth? Absofreakinlutely.

As a mom of now teenagers, I see babies and try to remember when my girls were that little. I wrote a lot of things down. I took zillions of photos. Not nearly enough videos. I do remember many things, of course, but I don't remember more than I do remember I am afraid. There is just too much to remember. When something happens or I hear a story, I remember something from when the girls were little. I hadn't really forgotten it, I just hadn't thought about it in a long time.



I guess what I am trying to say is for those of you with young ones, take the time and make those videos of those adorable little voices just beginning to speak or saying or doing funny things. Take videos of those creative, colorful outfits that they put together themselves that a photo will not do justice to. You need to get the whole picture with words, signing, music, songs and dances. You can pop those in the machine when they are teenagers or just when you want a warm loving feeling in your heart. Just to remember.

Same thing goes for your mother. Do you have videos of your mother? I don't. My mother died seven years ago last month and I don't have any way to hear her voice. It makes me very sad and I hope that you will get that video cam out this weekend and film your mother with her kids and grandkids. I hope your husband, partner or child will film you as well.

Motherhood for me, has me beaming with pride, as usual. Zoe just got a letter informing her she got into Honors Chemistry next year! David said, "I never took Chemistry, I cannot help her." He, by the way, is the smartest person I have ever met, so I am sure they will both be taking Chem next year. I have no doubt that Zoe will excel at Chemistry all on her own. The other night they had an award ceremony at the high school and Zoe got two awards. One for Outstanding Student in Biology and one for Outstanding Student in Geometry. I am so proud of her. She is very smart. I would say she works hard, but she will disagree with that statement. It comes to her, she just gets it. In case you were wondering....I stopped giving out math help about fourth grade!



Katharine tried out for Narnia. They are putting it on in a one of the local theatres. It seems all her friends, well several, are trying out for the play. They did call backs on Wed. We could not go to the Thursday call back because Katharine had a showcase in LA. The showcase was from one of her acting classes. She has been going to two acting classes on Sundays. Anyhow, there was a casting director there to see the kids perform. It was also our second time up there this week. We met and are going with an agent we met on Tuesday. Very energetic and a good fit I think. Now a manager and an agent. Apparently, she will have a tag team. Agents for specific jobs. TV, movies, print and commercials. Anyhow, it all seems so real when we are up in LA with all the new or up and coming actors.

Being a mother right now seems to be mostly a taxi and cook position. I don't mind at all. I mind the gas prices, but I don't mind driving 65 miles, one way, twice this week. This is what we signed on to do. I was not happy with the schedules at school this year. Middle school and high school are off just enough for me to go up and down the hill four times a day instead of two. I figured it out though. The schools are about a mile apart. One is higher on the hill than the other. But there are only two roads that lead in and out. If the schools got out simultaneously, it would be a worse nightmare than it already is. So, I get it and I accept it. Zoe has journalism on Monday and Wednesday, so she could call for a ride any time from 2:30 til 5:30. Katharine has dance and guitar two different days as well. Lots of driving, but I am honored to be able to do it for them.



Happy Mother's Day to all you who eat that broken egg, or have to clean up the cat's hair ball or dog's mess, because your children gag at the thought. Also, to all of you who cry (without being noticed) when your child wins an award or scores a goal or brings home awesome grades because you do not want to embarrass them! And those you who fight the school boards/districts and or teachers to better the situation for years to come, long after your child has moved on. Finally, Happy Mother's Day for those you who are just there!

I hope you all have a wonderfully lovely day!

17 comments:

Grumpy Old Man said...

Kudos to the mostly unsung heroism of Z & K's mother, and all you other mothers out there.

the bright one said...

Humph, I'm not embarrassed that easily.... Happy mothers day mommy!!!

Carie said...

Happy Mothers Day :o)

author said...

Happy Moms day to you Nancy

alan said...

The Happiest of Mother's Days to you; may a hundred or so more follow in succession!

alan

Cathy said...

Happy Mother's Day, Nancy! What a lovely post; I do not have a video camera, but this has inspired me; maybe some day. xo

Cindy said...

Happy Mother's Day! It's supposed to rain all day, and if that kid of mine ever gets his butt out of bed, we're going shopping.

Hope your day is good!

Jaded said...

Happy Mother's Day! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Heidi said...

Happy Mothers Day Nancy! Hope your having a great day. :)

A Flowered Purse said...

Aw I enjoyed all the pics!
Hope you have a wonderful mothers day and you are right about the taxi cab and cook.
Man i am there too
Good luck to your daughter
Love
dianna

Jan said...

Great post Nancy.
Happy Mother's Day!!

Dr. Deb said...

To all the Mothers and caretakers, I wish you all a wonderful day.

Playground In My Mind said...

What a sweet post:) Thank you for the lovely wishes. I hope that you enjoyed your day, too.
I had to move my blog because a monster found me and I changed the address, though not the name. Take care, Nancy...Renee

zbjernak said...

tht beautiful featherless chick is so cute.....

err... happy belated mothers day to u

A Flowered Purse said...

Haven't heard from you
hoping all is well!!!
love
Dianna

Heidi said...

Just checking in...Hope all is well with you Nancy.

for_the_lonely said...

Thinking of you...hope all is well!

Love,
Sarah