Saturday, May 27, 2006

TV

Here is the new one


As you may or may not remember, our TV has been busted for months. For a while it was on all the time because the on/off switch was broken. Just left it on. One Sunday morning, power failure in the neighborhood. Shit, the TV! Of course, it doesn't come back on. We push the button every so often hoping...Nope, doesn't work. Even though it sort of reminded me of Lost. You will not understand this unless you watched them pushing the button every 108 minutes in the hatch on the show.

I have been researching for weeks. The TV, officially dead for weeks too. Our TV is about six years old and Plasmas have come a long way since then. Lots to research. LCD? Plasma? When spending that kind of money it is good to do lots of research. At least know what the hell you are talking about when you step into the store. Right? Well, yes and no.

Consumer Reports rates Panasonic as the best Plasmas this year and last. I was all set, armed with new knowledge of big screens, which changes often by the way. We walk in, see the Panasonic and it sucks. The picture truly is the worst of the dozens of TVs we look at. Salesman says that Consumer Reports picks always suck. We see a Samsung, 42 inch plasma. Beautiful picture. And no tuner box like our old plasma. All the buttons are on the TV like our little LCD in the bedroom. One less box will be nice.

While ringing us up, I see the TV next to us has a crappy picture. I mention it and the salesman tells me it is because he has to use one cable for all the TVs in that row. I begin to wonder. Did they do that to the Panasonic so we would buy something else? Perhaps some other TVs they got better deals on and need to get rid of? Or they want to save the Panasonic's cuz they know that CR's says they are the best, those will surely sell after the holiday weekend.

I begin to feel quite manipulated. Much more so when I got home. So much more so, that I went online and read reviews for the TV we brought home with us. The reviews were encouraging. I wonder if I am on the edge of a good 20/20 story. It would make sense for then to show a poorer picture if they didn't want to sell a particular set that day. Or to make it beautiful to sell a lot. Manipulation.

We will know more when we get it on the wall next week. I could do the wiring myself. Putting up a 75 pound TV on the wall would not be wise. Towel racks and toilet paper holders fall down when I put them up. I use the screws that come with and I should use bigger stronger screws. Anyhow, for something that costs this much, a professional is in order.

Have a nice weekend.

10 comments:

Jaded said...

Congrats on the new TV!

I think that you might have been manipulated if the set you bought actually costs more than the one you'd intended to buy. Most electronics salesmen work on commission. The more you spend, the more they earn. If the one you bought is about the same price or less, he might have just been giving you an honest opinion. If it was considerably more, he might have just been padding the paycheck this week. You can always return it if you don't like it.

Heidi said...

It looks very nice! Goodluck and hopefully no problems.

alan said...

My favorite review site is Epinions.com- so far it's done well by those I've sent there.

Technology changes so quickly now I'm sure if you liked the picture in the store, under the fluorescents, etc., you will love it at home. The mechanics of it will be light years from the last one so it should last until they decide to change broadcast HDTV to something else so they can sell us all another round of sets!

Enjoy!

alan

Cindy said...

You know Nancy, they probably did manipulate you...you should call someone. I'm glad that you have a tv though, I would have surely gone nuts by now.

Carie said...

congrats on the TV :) I want a TV like that lol my set is 15 years old, but for now its all I need lol ;) I never even thought to do research on a TV, I think its cool you did and I hope its what you wanted

Dr. Deb said...

What a FABULOUS piece of technology. Wow!!!!!!

Hope you, GOM and the girls get much enjoyment from it!

A Flowered Purse said...

I love that TV and
LOL On pushing the button I am a total LOST Freak LOL
Too funny!
Have a great week
Love
dianna

for_the_lonely said...

Congrats on the new tv!!! I bet it is so nice to have a brand new one, and one that does not have a mind of its own! LOL

I love you bunches!

Sarah

author said...

wow it's beautiful
I get the lost reference completely.
We are so addicted.

I would definetly get a pro to install. Many people are having to open up walls and add support framing.
Cant wait for your review.
Hope you are well otherwise.

zbjernak said...

samsung?
42 inch lcd?
lovely
good buy
lcd is always better than plasma...

i used that same TV for abt 1 month.. when i was doing the audit for the samsung products....

cool