Monday, May 22, 2006

HELLO OUT THERE

I haven't been here in so long that my auto speller in the browser window didn't work and I actually had to type out the whole Wifebear.Blogspot.com! I have gotten a couple of emails asking if I am okay. The last time I posted was Mother's Day...

I am fine. Super crazy busy. End of the school year, after school activities. Life. Girl Scout Registration which is my new volunteer gig. I am the new Registrar for our service unit here in town. I had a training class on Saturday because the Girl Scouts are moving into the new millennium and finally doing a pilot program to put all registrations online...Woohoo. Just think of the possibilities! Boring to you perhaps, but it is fun for me. Especially since I can use my Mac with Safari and was told it would have to be done on a PC...Wrong!! I would have been bummed if I could not do this because it was not Mac compatible.

I love paperwork and forms and things like that. When I was a kid I wrote on everything I could get my hands on. I would fill out those bothersome subscription cards that fall out of magazines. I would fill out the front of the school district's books. Any scrap of paper in range had "Nancy was here" written on it. When anybody in my family had a form to fill out, there I was! To this day, I enjoy the act of physically writing. I also enjoy typing. Typing I learned when I was eight. My father had an Army manual that showed where the home keys were, etc., and I practiced without a typewriter. Finally, my mother got out the old Smith Corona. I loved it. I got a Brother portable typewriter for Christmas that year and you would have thought I won the lotto...My brother (not the typewriter) mentioned how obsessed I was back then and I told him of my new position with GS and he laughed and said it could not be more perfect. I still wonder why my father had the Army manual that taught typing of all things. Odd. Looking back, learning to type at eight was no big deal. Kids today all learn early to become computer literate. Back then, we learned in Jr. High. I loved my typing classes, hated the teacher. Mr. Cox, military issued glasses, they had to be. He made me put my bubble gum on a board with my name under it for the whole day once. I was embarrassed, which was his point, he made it.

There was a dinner and award event tonight at a local Mexican eatery. Yummy. Margaritas were good too. I have not had much to drink since I quit smoking 93 days ago. It is to the point now that I forget exactly how many days it has been. I had to look it up. But, I didn't want a smoke at all and I was nearly ecstatic about that. It used to be that I would love bars where I could go out and have a smoke or I would start craving a smoke and would want to leave so I could get in a smoke between the bar and the car! All that is gone and it is such freaking relief.

I started walking with my neighbor a few weeks ago. We have lots of hills around here and they are not conducive to walking with my twice broken, shattered each time, ankle. We now go downtown after I drop off the last girl at school and walk on the flat lands and at the beach. It is nice to walk in the mornings, even with the fog and drippy low clouds we have hanging around this time of year. We actually got more than a half inch of rain last night and today. It is the first time since the 1920's that it has rained on this day. Exceptionally rare to get rain this late in the year, especially a winter storm or what passes for one here in So Cal.

Okay, lots to tell, lots going on. I am beat and want to go watch Prison Break! I finished, actually I am all caught up with Lost. Love that show. Our plasma still is not working. Nor have we replaced it. I use my computer and watched all of Lost. I have now downloaded Prison Break to see if I would like it and after three shows, I am hooked. I can watch til the wee hours of the morning.

Hope everybody is well and I have missed reading all of your posts! Be reading you soon. Nighty night.

10 comments:

Grumpy Old Man said...

I was playing this on iTunes. Maybe it's unconscious, because you asked me how to spell Smith-Corona:

"I pawned my Smith-Corona
And I went to meet my man,
He hangs out down on Alvarado Street
By the Pioneer Chicken stand.

"Carmelita, hold me tighter,
I think I'm sinkin' down.
And I'm all strung out on heroin
On the outskirts of town."

Go, as Kurt Vonnegut said, figure.

Cindy said...

Glad all is well with you. Prison Break? Might have to check that one out as well. Ant and I are currently watching season 1 of The Shield.

Heidi said...

Phew! New post...If there wasn't one you would have seen an email from me this morning..Glad all is well.

Never seen Prison Break..I'm a 24 fan...Looking forward to AI tonight.

for_the_lonely said...

It's great to see you post again! :)

What a great story about your first typerwriter! I, too, love to fill out forms...as a matter of fact, Jenn gives all of her medical forms, etc to me to fill out for her! LOL Go figure! Although children today are much more technology advanced, I heard somewhere that their handwriting is becoming more and more illegible to read, as they do not have that much practice in handwriting anymore. Sad, huh?

Tonight is AI...I'll be tuning in. Oh, and did you catch the winner of American Inventor? If not, I won't tell you who won, but I will say that I cried! LOL

Glad all is well!

Love ya,
Sarah

alan said...

Glad to hear from you...

Tie the whirlwind down and catch your breath if you have to!

alan

A Flowered Purse said...

Is LOST not the best show on TV OMG it drives me nuts though cause i have so many questions! i can't wait to see why the plane actually crashed tonight! its a busy TiVO night. I so know what you mean about end of the year activities, I have one graduating from grade school and the other graduating from Middle!
Good luck on the walking, I hope you keep your bones in tact though.
Have a great summer and take care of yourself!
YAY on the 93 days, that such an accomplishment!!!!!
Hope you get some free time to post!
love
dianna

Jaded said...

Glad to hear you're doing ok. It's hard to find time to read blogs OR post on my own lately. I've been up to my eyeballs in stuff for Jadette's case against the school district. It's overwhelming sometimes. Oy.


I love office supplies. I always have. When I was a kid, my dad would take me with him to set up his classroom at the end of each summer, and I LOVED all the books, papers, pencils etc. Running my own business keeps me happy 'cause I get to buy supplies!

Idol final results tonight...can't wait!

Unknown said...

u can still smoke indoors there?

Here everyplace in non smoking, and u have to smoke 25 ft away from any doors or windows. It seems a little over-zelouse even for me, a non smoker, but surprisingly there hasn't been mutch backlash.

Dr. Deb said...

Wow. that is really funny that you had to spell everything out. I guess blogger missed you!!!

I know I did!
~Deb

zbjernak said...

they say it is good to have a 'training buddy'
hehehehe...

they can provide support... and motivation... to be doing it together...

having someone to chat with make the sometime slow excercise time faster...

a 30 minutes walk a day is good...
i m trying to do that too...
within my apartment's compound...

cheers to you on the girl scout thingy..and take care...
will drop by later again