Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Fruitcake




Tis the season for the fruitcake. I used to wonder, as I am sure you did as well, if there was one fruitcake. One fruitcake that got passed around year after year. Seriously, since nobody really eats these things, who would know if you regifted it?

This fruitcake never got eaten, nor unwrapped. It was used as door stops, paperweights or on display for the cute little tin it came in.

Yet, year after year, these fruitcakes make the rounds. They are everywhere and they are not cheap either. I wonder if that is because they have gotten more costly to make or they sell less, so they mark up the price. Who in their right mind would go into business making the butt of all jokes, fruitcakes?

The only person I know who eats fruitcake is my hubby. I laughed when I first found this out. And he has a favorite. I had forgotten about fruitcakes all together until the other day at the store. For the size of a pack of Hostess donuts, you can pay upwards of six bucks for a fruitcake. Of course the fruitcake weighs a lot more than a pack of donuts.

Yesterday, I got an email from the famous Collin Street Bakery, to remind me to order my fruitcake now, so I will receive it in time for Christmas. Already they are starting the last minute emails. It is the sixth of December. Nineteen days til Christmas. That used to be all the time most people had before sales began. Now, right after Halloween.

But, I don't think I will be getting hub a fruitcake this year. Even the small one, is not cheap and once opened, they truly do not last forever!

11 comments:

Lois Lane said...

The only fruit cake I like is the Fruit Cake Lady on Jay Leno. You an find clips of her online. She is a hoot!
Lois Lane

Carie said...

lol I didn't know people really ate them lol...

A Flowered Purse said...

you know I can't stand fruit cake, but I haven't ever tried it! I have heard all the jokes and such and never ever tried them.
Nor will I
LOL
Love
dianna

SassyFemme said...

Ewww, just looking at it grosses me out! LOL

Grumpy Old Man said...

Fruitcake. What's not to like?

It's delicious and it's also nutritious.

And the famous Collin St. Bakery has branched out to apricon pecan cakes. MMMmmmmm . . .

Cindy said...

I don't think I've actually eaten fruit cake. I think I'll probably continue that tradition.

Dr. Deb said...

The re-gifted fruitcake. LOL.

I never liked the taste of the fruitcake, blah.

~Deb

Heidi said...

If I was stuck on " Survivor Island" and FC was the only thing to eat..I would pass and go for the bugs..lol

for_the_lonely said...

I think that David and I are the oddballs here...oh yeah, and Jenny too..we all like fruitcake...I am not sure that it would be ok to get her a fruitcake for the holidays though..she might get mad! LOL

Grumpy Old Man said...

I like fruitcake.

Sweets to the sweet.

Jan said...

You guys can get me fruitcake for the holidays.....I love fruitcake!!