Thursday, December 22, 2005

Is This Rude To You?










The other day I needed to get a box of buttercream milk chocolate candy from See's. My neighbor's annual gift from us. She loves this stuff and can use the calories.

I had driven past See's twice and thought I needed to hit that store when it first opened to get in or find a place to park! Tuesday, the girls and I got there a little after 10:00 am. They didn't have the buttercreams already packaged, which meant we had to order them from the case. We got there behind three women.

The first woman ordered a couple of two pound boxes and she selected every single candy to go in them. She then decides that she needs another box for the day after Christmas and may as well get them at that time as well. Now there are eight people behind her. She picks each candy for another two pound box. Then she decides to get four separate pieces. The woman in line in front of us, walks out. The other woman, being helped by another woman in a white with black trimmed See's uniform, was not quite as bad. She ordered a two pound box and picked out each piece too. When the saleslady weighed the box, it was about two and a half pounds. She asked the saleslady to remove some, which of course, the woman chose herself. Then she was over by less than a buck over what two pounds cost, and she said, "Oh, that is fine." Saleslady asked her, do you want this wrapped?" Of course she did. This whole process took about a half hour between the two women and there were a dozen people behind us! Finally, it was our turn. I asked for a pound of buttercreams and was asked if I wanted it wrapped. I told the saleslady, "Just toss the paper in the bag please, and I will wrap it myself." I didn't have to hear it, but I knew that those in line behind me were applauding me! LOL

I think next year I will revert to ordering a box online. It came very fast last year!

When I am at the deli at the grocery store, I don't order a ton of items when there are people waiting. I think it is just rude. I go shopping and come back when it has cleared out. Many people are ordering a sandwich for lunch or one or two items, like I did. But to continue to hand pick each piece and ignore the line behind me, would make me feel bad.

In other news, we are in for another 80 degree Christmas this year. I know those of you who are freezing may think we are lucky. But, it feels more like Christmas when it is cooler out. Zoe asked if we could get a log for Christmas and Katharine pointed out that it will be 80! I told her we have a log and we can put it on if they get up early enough!

Also, we are having the biggest surf we have had in years. A swell all the way from Hawaii!

Surf's up

I cannot believe that Christmas will be here in three days. This year has gone by so fast!

Happy Holidays to you all!

12 comments:

Heidi said...

"Just toss the paper in the bag please, and I will wrap it myself.""

I would have done the same thing..lol

btw..I have a friend who lives in LA. A few yrs ago she sent me some of the See's Chocolate that she always raved about..D-LISH!

Nancy..I am sending you some of our 41 cm/ 14 inches of snow though through our blogasphere..Hope u enjoy :)

Merry Christmas to you and your family we have gotten to know.
Hugs~

CrackerLilo said...

Oh, I want to be there!!!!!

I love surfing!!!! :-)

And I *don't* love people like the woman at See's!

alan said...

Working the night shift, most of my shopping gets done during "off peak" hours if I can, 3AM works real well for me! :o) If I have to go somewhere I know will be crowded, I try to get up at 10 AM or so and hit it before lunch, but after the initial rush.

My grandmother used to terrify me when we took her shopping on our trips to Texas in the summer; she had grown up in the era when you went into a store, even a grocery, and they got each item for you. We would take her to Wal-Mart and she would open the jars of hand cream to try each one out before deciding what she'd buy; she would feel no guilt at calling a salesperson to ask about something that hadn't been made for years, and so on. She was in her late 80's at the time, still living on her own, and I could never bring myself to correct her; I'm sure she made people feel exactly the way all of you in that line did, and I still feel guilty about it...

Beautiful photo from a beautiful friend; thank you for brightening my days and may your Holidays be as wondeful as you are!

alan

Nancy said...

Heidi, Thanks for the snow offer! LOL

Cracker, I would love to watch you surf!

Alan, I excuse elderly people for most anything. I figure they should get whatever they want and be first at doing so...They have earned it. These women were not old...Good suggestion to wait til after the ten o'clock rush.

Carie said...

it will be 66 here I think...wooohooo

I love See's candy, I hate the holiday lines lol...people get so grouchy in there, and the people who order tons and hand pick make me so freaking mad....

but when my grandma goes in to order and may take an extra few minutes (any grandparent or elderly) I am way more patient...but even so I do not do See's here in our town, I order on line lol

sjobs said...

It is going to be a balmy 30 here on Christmas Day. This year we actually have SNOW!! There have been years when it is a brown Christmas and that is the worst for me.

Happy Holidays....

Mary

zbjernak said...

hahaha...funny weird neighbourhood u have

in case i aint login to the net during the weekends...
merry christmas to u and wishing u all the best...

cheers

for_the_lonely said...

You and I are like two peas in a pod..I would not hold up a line, either! I just think that it is plain rude!

Ahhhh...See's Candies..one of the doctors that I used to work for would give us all boxes of See's candies, with our Christmas bonus checks..I don't think I have ever had finer chocolate! LOL

I wish you a very Merry Christmas, Nancy! You are greatly loved!

Love,
Sarah

Playground In My Mind said...

This may sound crazy, but I do not believe that the women were being rude. That See's outlet should have staffed for the holiday rush-they know that there is one.
It isn't the shopper's problem at the deli either-store management has to staff for "peaks." It's a money saving thing. I say, tell management that they should have staffed for it.
We will have flurries and a high around 35 for the next few days. I am sending you white Christmas wishes...by the way, when the surf is up, it churns WHITE:) hehehe I'd trade places in a heartbeat. I miss home that much. Merry Christmas:) Renee

BonnyT said...

Yes please....need my address? :D ;)

Jaded said...

I think it was a combination of those ladies being thoughtless and the store being understaffed. Had the store been properly staffed, you wouldn't have had to wait in line so long. But on the other hand, they were paying for a specific assortment of candies and were entitled to get what they wanted. However, had it been me, after seeing the store was short staffed, I'd have simply ordered an assortmen, made mention of what flavor or flavors I didn't like, or which were my favorite, and allowed the rest to be chosen by the clerk. Now I think I'm going to have to order some See's chocolate on line. I've never had it and I'm wondering why it was worth waiting in line for half an hour!

Merry Christmas!!

Babs said...

We have the same type of place here in CT called Munsons. Fab-u-lous chocolate! But I remember when one of my vendors sent See's. Far and above anything Munson's made. Yummmmy! I miss those freebies!
Happy Christmas!