Sunday, December 11, 2005

Scrooge Is Our Neighbor!

Our new loser neighbor is Scrooge! I actually thought Scrooge was gone, I was wrong. Here is the story. There has been an old man at the end of the street down below for years who caused all sorts of problems for the neighbors. He called the police on kids in the street with skateboards or if their ball went into his yard and they retrieved it. He let the air out of the neighbor's tires. He finally set up a video camera to prove that the kids were crossing a line by going into his driveway. Well, the good news is that his wife had his ass hauled off with a court order. Then she put copies of a restraining order in all the mailboxes. In case he was seen around her house, call the police. Finally, the kids can play in the street without the mean old man getting in their faces.

Along comes our very own loser neighbor. You have heard me complain about all his remoldeling without permits. Jackhammering concrete for weeks on end. Tearing out walls, cabinets, floors, and all the landscape and concrete in and around the house, putting in new, and replacing basically everything in the itty bitty house. I am not complaining because he did all that. That is fine. He could have waited til 8am or even told us that we would not be able to talk on the phone that day because of the noise. And he could have gotten a fricken permit for all the work he did. Now he asked the lower neighbor to take out some of his trees. And to top and thin out others. The neighbor said he would do it and along comes loser neighbor, who from now on will be referred to as Scrooge. Scrooge went over there with a guy from the city. Powerful guy he told the neighbor. He could get rid of the historical trees, while others in town cannot. I heard the "powerful" guy ask, "Are there any neighbors that may give us problems?" I believe that would be the neighbor on the other side of him and yours truly. We live in an historical Eucalyptus grove and we like it that way. He comes in and notices last weekend he can see the ocean...Wow, take out the century plus trees so Scrooge can see the ocean! He is the most narcissistic person I have met in a very long time.

It appears his mother is staying with him. I could be wrong, she could be his older, much older wife. We have tried to get Charlie/Steve to not bark at Scrooge, but how can we blame him for barking at such a miserable man? I have one of those cans of air for electronics. I spray it or reach for it and Charlie/Steve cries, but does not bark. I have been doing this for a couple of weeks, every time I hear his door open or his chain leash approaching. Charlie/Steve can be in a dead sleep in the sun on the deck or on the couch in the house and he hears Scrooge's dog's leash. He comes hauling ass out to bark at Scrooge's dog. People walk by all day and Charlie/Steve sometimes barks, but usually when there is a dog attached to a person. He stops once they pass our house. I have the mismatched beach towels up so we cannot see Scrooge and he cannot see us. But, I cannot stop my dog from barking at Scrooge. I assume when I am not here he barks to his heart's delight! Who could blame him, he is a DOG!

Right now, I am shaking. I am so fried I cannot even express how angry and upset my stomach is. We have been putting up the rest of the decorations and the ornaments on the tree and I came out here to untangle something with my glasses. I heard Scrooge and the old lady and I got the can of air. Charlie/Steve barked first. I squeeze the trigger on the air and he stopped. Then I hear the old lady say, "Shut up, you bad dog!" I had steam coming out of my ears! I told the old lady, that I could not see behind and down from my mismatched beach towels, that he is not a bad dog. They both got into it with me. Grandma said, "He is too a bad dog." Then I told her that he was protecting his territory. Scrooge, hiding behind grandma's skirt tails says, "He is too bad, he makes too much noise." I told him, "Why don't you just move out?" "You are the one making all the noise with your jackhammers, saws and all your other unpermited construction!" I told them it was nice up here til he moved in. I cannot remember much else, my heart was pounding in my ears. Katharine came out, David at the kitchen table looked shocked. I asked him if he heard what they said. He said, "No." But, he told me that Katharine was surprised to see me lose my temper this way....I told her what happened and she said, "He is a dog!" Out of the mouths of babes.

I poured myself a scotch to calm myself down. I am still pissed, with a knot in my stomach. If Scrooge was the kind of person, who would listen, I would talk to him like a normal human and tell him we are trying to get Charlie/Steve not to bark at him and maybe he could get a quieter leash! But, that will never happen. The war has begun, unfortunately. Not talking was okay with me, but I am not sure I will be able to hold my tongue now! That train has left the station.

Honestly, as I am typing this, I hear dogs barking all over the place. Charlie/Steve is not barking right now. He is playing with his toy, quietly in the house. How the hell am I supposed to keep my dog quiet when he has a deck to protect and run the length of while doing so. I will not put up screens to block him from looking out. And, I have truly been working on keeping him from barking at Scrooge and his dog in earnest. He can hear me tell Charlie/Steve not to bark, to sit, stay and good boy. Scrooge can hear all these commands. Does he appreciate it? No, he doesn't realize that keeping a dog quiet is no small feat. Unless, one has a dog like his that seldom barks, but barks at me plenty when I am out here at midnight. Charlie/Steve can care less at that point. Scrooge's dog barks when Scrooge is not home. His dog was barking when he and the old lady went into the house tonight, not mine. Mine only barks when he hears somebody coming near our property. It is not big, trust me. Once past our house, he goes about finding something else to do.

I am so angry right now. I am angry that when Scrooge told David that we should have our dog trainer call him, a couple of weeks ago, I didn't speak up and tell him to shut up and deal with it! We have such a great neighborhood, well we did til the twenty something narcissistic Scrooge moved in!!!! Scrooge needs to live in an association with CC&R's. Not up here in hippieville. We don't act like the stuck up stickybeaks in other areas. Most of the people up here are new families, with dogs, or the older people who have lived here for thirty years. We have had a great ride for eight years here. It is sad to think it is coming to an end because of Scrooge.

I am sorry this is happening. I wish he would sell his place now that he has fixed it up. He took one of the smallest, and the cheapest houses in Laguna Beach and made it it nice. I don't think he would be able to recoup what he put into it, because it it is so tiny. Unfortunately, he seems to like it here and he works from home! This truly sucks. We live so close to one another that we can hear everything each other says. I am not being nosy when I hear conversations. In fact, I usually turn up the radio, not to hear the conversations. But, the fact is, we know each other's business. Fact of life when you live viturally on top of one another.

So, I am asking for advice here. Should I be doing something differently? I am trying to keep an animal from barking due to one lousy complaining neighbor. We have had Charlie/Steve for a year this month and never has anybody complained before Scrooge moved in. How do you make a dog not bark? Is is possible to make a rat/fox terrier not bark at passing dogs? Or will he just protect his territory? Because at this point, I really don't want to hamper him barking at Scrooge anymore. I just want to let him bark til Scrooge has passed our house and let it go...But, to keep the peace, I will continue to try and keep him quiet. Is this dog abuse???

15 comments:

Babs said...

Man, I feel your anger and frustration in your post. RE: the trees, if he can get some "power" person to trim trees, I suggest a petition around the neighborhood to stop them. If there is documentation that these are historic trees, as far as I know, and except where a tree endangers persons or property, they cannot be removed. We just had a lady stop a very large town from cutting down what she thought was an historic oak tree. Turns out it wasn't what she thought, but the media coverage as to the ridiculousness of the situation to remove the tree kept the tree alive. You should definately contact the media as you do your petition to protect the trees. He bought the house with the trees in place, it's not like they sprung up overnight to block his "view" As for the dog barking...hopefully your town has a pet and/or a noise ordinance. Check and get a copy. Our town has the obvious leash laws and a noise ordinance for no "loud" (which is left to interpretation I would suppose) noises after 10pm. If your town has these, get copies and post them on that fence facing said scrooge. Unless you have a neighborhood association that governs you with a codicil that says that dogs aren't allowed like some communities that don't allow campers and such in driveways, etc. (and it doesn't sound like you do) you can own a dog and it can bark to its heart's content till the noise ordinance kicks in. We had a friend whose neighbor called the Humane Society on them because their dog barked during the day when he was leashed up outside. The Humane Society came, checked out the situation, there was a dog house for shelter and plenty of water...no problem, they told the caller basically to deal with it.
It sounds like you do everything you can to avoid the dog barking excessively and for long periods of time, so even if scrooge got it in his shorts to call authorities, he'd look like a jerk.
Hope these suggestions help.
Good Luck! - Get that petition rolling and save the trees - while you're at it, petition everyone's right to have a doggie too and while you're at town hall, report the unpermitted work, at the least, they'll make him get permits and inspections, at the worst, they'll make him tear out all improvements and restore the house! (my brother in law had to remove an unpermitted shed once, even though it was a play house for his kids, the town decided it could be used as a shed - who said our elected officials were smart? LOL, I know, I won't mention the White House!

Nancy said...

Our trees are in fact historical, Babs.

Many other neighbors have had to go through design review to get rid of trees, and then they were at the mercy of the neighbors. Scrooge is trying to eliminate that.

Everybody has dogs here. Our dog in so not a nuisance. He barks like the dogs I have encountered all my years of walking the girls to school at the end of the street. They just bark!

I am so angry right now, I am trying to find ways for Scrooge to move. It is not going to happen though. We got rid of the old Scrooge, and now we have the younger version and he is simply poison!

Babs said...

maybe by reporting him to the town for unpermitted work will get him to move...i'd do it either way...he should not have done renovations without a permit and should be held to the law...the person that buys his propery might be bamboozeled and then be responsible for work he did without the permit. Light a fire under his butt. It's also for the safety issues. And I'd still do the petitions. Let him know that he is not the king of your neighborhood.

Babs said...

PS
Like I said before, we have a beagle. Barks and bays. I'm sure we so annoy the neighbors at time. The only time we had a problem was when he was just a puppy and my hubby fell asleep after letting him out at night and the neighbor from hell that we have called us at midnight to ask if we could bring him in. I must admit, it was our mistake and they were perfectly within their rights to ask us to stop the noise. They have not complained to us since, and Barney has been out many days protecting his territory during the day. They can't do anything about it unless there is an obvious case of abuse or something that the Humane Soc. can charge us with, and if you met our "box of rocks" you would know he is far from abused. I would not fret that the dog barks. That's what they do. Don't get your feelings hurt that they think he is a "bad dog" they are bad people. get that copy of the ordinance and let charlie/steve bark away! Maybe that will get them to move too!
(oh darn, that alter bitch-ego of mine is showing again.....lol)

Cindy said...

Nancy,

If it were me, I would encourage your dog to bark, bark loudly and often. I would do just about anything I could think of to annoy Scrooge and his grandma, mother, girlfriend!

I'll be watching for you on COPS!

Just Jan said...

let charlie/steve be the dog he is and protect his property..your neighbor is an ass...report him for having work done without permits....let him know you aren't intimidated by him.

alan said...

I don't have any good advice for dealing with your neighbor; I would probably report the work wirhout permits and try to save the trees as others are suggesting.

When people really get to me, the one thing that saves my sanity the last few years is knowing that Karma will come back to them at some point. I don't have to be there to see it, or even hear about; but it will. I would hate to imagine what this person has coming their way!

alan

Dr. Deb said...

This is the same neighbor you've written about before. Sheesh! It can sympathize with your situation. We had bad neighbors too and it was such a disheartening experience.

~Deb

Heidi said...

Nancy I am so sorry this is happening... I wish there was something i can say or do..I hear your frustration.

I agree with others to have him reported for the permit...But then again he might make the situation worse..ugh! I dunno.

Thinking postive thoughts for you but not him!

for_the_lonely said...

I'd let Charlie bark 'till kingdom come...seriously...only because your neighbor's "high horse" apparently makes a lot of noise too! Trying to get your dog not to bark is like trying to get a baby with colic not to cry...it isn't going to happen! I hope that he turns a new leaf soon...maybe the holidays will cheer him up some!

Hope that everything else is well ! :)

Love you,
Sarah

zbjernak said...

i couldnt offer much advices for neither i m not a dog owner... nor i understand rules in the states..

i would just say...
do what u think is right..as in report to the authorities about his illegal works done...

abt tht dog... well cant do much
dogs bark more at stranger and people they hate

Carie said...

dogs bark, I have 3 and any time someone walks past they bark, all the neighbors have dogs that bark...as long as they don't bark after 10 (law here is that any disrupting noise after 10 is a bad bad thing lol) now my neighbor is also a jackass...he has 4 small dogs that live outside day and night...all my dogs are in by 10 and walked out after for emergency potty breaks...

he yelled at me the other day...told me my dog barked all night (dogs are in the house, never ever bark at night) I told him he was wrong and why...he then said he wished mine were like his rats (ugly mean things) made me very mad...we argued, all my other neighbors stood up for me...the neighbors and I do not talk still and his little dogs howl all damn night in the freezing cold...hes a rotton neighbor...but a dog barking has never ever bothered me, a dog barks, its thier job...let him bark...let him be a dog...I hope you neighbor moves so you can have a peaceful time again

Jaded said...

Dogs bark. Period. In my town, the only way a dog barking is considered a problem is if the dog barks for long periods of time, like 15 minutes or more, continuously, on a regular basis. And that's pretty much only if the dog is left outside alone all day.

Maybe you could speak with your other neighbors about not allowing this idiot to trample over your rights and wishes in order to accommodate his own. If you make a loud enough noise about not wanting the historical trees to be removed, people will jump on the bandwagon to protect them.

As for the permits, you know that I'd have turned him in right away. Serves him right. Call the building inspector and the tax assessor. The work was done without permits or inpsections, and it has greatly increased the value of the house, thereby raising its tax rate. That ought to shut him up.

for_the_lonely said...

Just checking in to see how you are, and if your computer has been fixed yet! I hope that all is well!

Love ya,
Sarah

the bright one said...

Scrooge wasn't mean though, he was just not nice either. He's way worse.