Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Where's Winter?

It rains 98% of the time on Katharine's birthday, Feb 6th. It didn't rain this year. It hasn't rained significantly for months. February is supposed to be our wettest month and the TV forecasters don't see any rain until about nine days from now and they say it looks like a 20% chance. The northwest is getting all the rain. I would like them to share it with us!

It is not even 6:30 yet and it is already 68 degrees! Holy crap, it is winter and it could hit 90 today! UGH

Our rain accumulation is tragic. Last year was a record year with 30 inches courtesy of El Nino. Now we have La Nina and only a couple of inches of rain since last July!

We have a red flag fire danger in place. We have had a fire here in OC that is still burning. No structures, but about 4000 acres of chaparral. Lots of smoke. This is not supposed to be our fire season either! It is dangerous, especially living on a canyon with dry vegetation! I just heard that there is another fire in the Santa Monica Mountains and that Malibu Canyon residents are getting nervous. The fire department told them they should be ready to evacuate if asked. Temps near 90 and 40 mph Santa Ana winds are expected!

The one thing we have going for us is goats. There are couple of herds of goats in town who eat the vegetation that surrounds our town. This has turned out to be a very economical way to get rid of the overgrowth near homes and other structures. It does look like Lebanon when they are done and there are the people who disagree with the goats eating native plants. It all grows back eventually, in time for the goats to consume it again.

Katharine just came up with a new sweater on that she got for her birthday and I mentioned it might hit 90 today. She replied, "It is February!" Now she is changing to a cooler shirt.

I want sweater weather and rain. Is that too much to ask?

Somebody please do a rain dance for us!

17 comments:

sttropezbutler said...

Oddly true here in TEXAS as well. We've had fires and red flag days galore!

Global warming? Nah.."they" keep telling us it doesn't exist. Well "they" are wrong.

I can't imagine what the hurricane season is going to be like this year!

I'm dancing..as fast as I can!

STB

Jaded said...

Same here in NJ. It's back to being seasonably cool... 40's... but last Friday I had the windows open a bit because it was almost 70! Most of January was in the mid to upper 50's. And no snow! I'd like just 1 good snow storm this winter. Nothing dangerous or horrible, just 8 or 10 inches of snow. Or even just cold enough for it to snow, lol.

Grumpy Old Man said...

Some (like me, a minority of one in the family) like it HOT!

Heidi said...

Happy B-lated Birthday to Katherine :)


I just heard about the Fires and I thought of you..Scary indeed..Here's hoping for heavy rain.

zbjernak said...

is the heat swell for us here in malaysia too..
and this gonna last till end of march...

clear clear blue sky we have... no wind, no rain...
heheheheehhehehe

winter and is 90...
wht about summer then?

Anne said...

what global warming, stb?! ; )

norcal has had about 150% of rainfall now-maybe more.

alan said...

Here we've been much warmer than usual so far, and much drier. I'm wondering if that drought circle from Texas and Oklahoma is heading my way, and wondering what summer will bring as well. The fires are scary everywhere. In the summer time here they usually burn parts of the Flint Hills so they stay in grassland; I've driven for several hours seeing the flames on both sides of the highway at night, and that's when they are under control! I can't imagine what a drought will do!

I remember Santa Ana days as well!

Good luck, and happy belated birthday to Katherine!

alan

for_the_lonely said...

I would be happy to ship cargo planes full of snow o you...by the time it gets there, it will be nice and melted enough to contain some of the fires! :)

My girl won 2 lovely Grammy's last night...I could've banked on all of the people that said she wouldn't win them! LOL Today is a great day for me! LOL

Love you,
Sarah

Dr. Deb said...

I did a rain dance, but I think it malfunctioned. We are expecting a huge nor'easter this weekend. Ugh, I can't do anything right!

~Deb

Playground In My Mind said...

It is snowing here today. You may have all that you like of it:) Renee

Jaded said...

I jinxed myself with the last comment. We're expecting a foot of snow, or greater. UGH! A week ago it was 70, and today we're getting a blizzard.

author said...

We have snow in Georgia today !
sadly we are supposed to go on the Riverboat in Chattanooga for a renewal of vows ceremony for friends.
I don't think it will be possible.
It's been a stragly warm winter here as well. Until today.

Thank dear hubby for the advice.
I will be getting my last check since I made payment arrangements for my hospital bills last week. Thanks for being so kind Nancy.

I'll pray for rain for you.

for_the_lonely said...

Just checking in to make sure that you survived the slumber arty last night! LOL :)
Have a great Sunday!

Love,
Sarah

Blogzie said...

Very warm here on the Central Coast as well. Near 90 a couple of days this week and today we have those hot and dry Santa Ana winds which always make me feel spacey.

But then what else is new...

I would love some rainy days. I would love to be able to wear a jacket at least once this winter!

x0x0x

Phoebe said...

We are enduring the second largest snowfall in New York since the started keeping records. The winner is the Blizzard of '88--that's 1888--when all you could see in downtown (Wall Street) NY was the tops of the telegraph poles! We've had almost 23" of snow so far in Central Park.

I get the day off! Yay!

BonnyT said...

You want "sweater weather' Nance? How about parka-touque-mitties-scarf-boots-shovel-salt-chapped lip-rosy cheek-dangerous driving weather?

I'll trade ya...but I have to admit, I'd only trade ya for about a week or two. I would miss the 4 true seasons too much...

Cindy said...

Our winter has been pretty mild, except for this last week. There has actually been some snow.