Thursday, April 20, 2006

American Inventor

I just watched two episodes from last weeks Tivo'd reality show, American Inventor. I was not going to watch this program when it first came out, but it hooked me. Some of the inventions were so lame or funny that I couldn't resist watching it again the next time it came on.

Last week four judges narrowed it down from 50 inventors to 24 then down to 12. I absolutely balled my eyes out watching these twelve people as they were told they were getting checks for $50,000 and they were going on to the next round. After listening for an hour to the sob stories and then watching them win, I was glad nobody was in the room with me while I cried about a reality show. It is bad enough when it happens from other stories on TV or in movies, but this caught me totally off guard.

What is amazing is how much these people put into their inventions. Money, lots of money and in some cases their life savings and homes in foreclosure. Watching the man who invented a different kind of car seat after his daughter was killed in a car crash was so very sad. He has a very clever and potentially life saving idea. Another very clever idea which is small and nobody died, was a clamp to hold shut bathroom doors in public places. The woman who invented it made it the width of a small bag of tissues, the kind for a purse. The clamp can go on the tissues very nicely until needed. It goes on top of the door and slides to the side and locks the door for those often broken latches on public bathroom doors. I would buy one. Simple and smart.

There are other inventions that are both okay and not so wonderful, but the passion and drive of the inventors is something to really see. Especially for those who have literally given up everything they own in pursuit of becoming the American Inventor and winning a million dollars.

This is the last show I ever thought I would shed tears over, but it really touched me in a big way. There are two episodes on tonight and I cannot wait to watch them.

11 comments:

Clandestine said...

oh man i watched this last night, and i was totally hooked! i missed the last 1/2 hour, though, because 'the office' was tivoing!

Unknown said...

What station is it on? I havn't even heard of it...i need to switch the dial off CNN once in a while....:)

A Flowered Purse said...

you know i didn't watch this cause i didn't know how it would be. Ill have to see if can catch re runs!
Have a wonderful weekend nancy
Love
dianna

Heidi said...

I've heard of this new show but have't tuned into it yet..I think I'll tape it tonight..Thanx for your input. Have a great weekend Nancy.

Heidi said...

oops..I see I'm a day late..No need to set the VCR.

for_the_lonely said...

OMG..I watch this too..and shhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I cried as well!!! Totally cried when they were telling their stories! LOL I was upset last night though, as the guy that invented the shovel that can scoop and drop items directly into a bag used only $20,000 towards his invention, and the rest on himself...that wasn't cool. I thought that he had a great idea, too, but I think that he was so stubborn that he totally blew his chances by using the money the way that he did!

Can you tell I love this show too? LOL

Can't wait for next week's show! LOL

Have a great weekend! Love ya!!!

Sarah

Dr. Deb said...

I never saw it, but alot of people have been talking about it.

alan said...

I've been trying desperately to cut down my TV time to have time here and in the gym, but this was one I thought about watching. Glad you did and enjoyed it!

alan

Green tea said...

Now I'm mad at my self..I watched the first episode and it made me cringe so never turned it back on..guess I'll have to check it out again.. GiGi

author said...

I watch, Jan and I cry our eyes out too.
I disliked simon cowell well most of the time, until I found out he is the brains behind this touching show.

The guy with the sandbag filler made me so mad this week, I rooted for him until this week when he refused to upgrade his invention and spent the money on himself instead !

zbjernak said...

the door lock seems to be good...

reality show...
is much of planned-reality show
hahaha