Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter and Passover

Seems like Christmas just got over and here it is, already Easter. This is the first year we didn't dye eggs. I am okay with it though. In a year or two, I may miss it, but who's to say we cannot dye them in future years? The girls are older, 13 and 14, but even last year they wanted to dye and then search for eggs. There is no age limit.

I look to my childhood to gauge how long to carry on traditions with my children. I don't know why I do that. I always over do and exceed what I had in my childhood. It just seems my girls are younger than I was at their age. They verbalize wanting traditions to continue. I never did that. When it was over, when the Easter bunny stopped coming to our house, it was over. I didn't put in a request for the Easter bunny to keep coming. It never occurred to me that it was an option. Which continues to show me how smart kids are today. Younger than I was, but absolutely smarter. Or maybe it was part of their early Montessori teachings, use your words that enabled them to speak up when they want or need something from us.

The girls are still getting baskets this year, not large and not overly full. A few chocolate items, some jelly beans, a mini stuffed bear and bunny respectively. I have learned from the past that the candy in the baskets lasted at least til the next holiday and we ended up tossing what was left. These baskets should be devoured in the next week or so. That will be perfect.

Zoe asked me if she should wake Katharine to see her basket. I told her, "Absolutely not, let her sleep as late as she can!" I didn't buy hair supplies, pens, pencils or any other goodies to go into the baskets this year. It will take a mere five seconds to see it is about sugar this year. They will appreciate it.

I made a turkey yesterday. It was in a bag already cleaned and seasoned. All I had to do was put it in the oven. We made mashed taters, stuffing, green beans and had a very nice dinner. We will have leftovers today, but I will throw a ham into the mix. Personally, I love ham on Easter. Dinner will be simple and lovely, just because we are having dinner together as a family.

Happy Easter and/or Passover to you all.

6 comments:

zbjernak said...

interesting and nice...
i never know about eggs hiding before this...
i only know bunny and eggs.. but i do not know wht the bunny do to the eggs...

now i read it from your blog and musingofamummy....

interesting..
and indeed is a fact...kid now is smarter than we were...
my nephew and niece, they are way smarter than i was,

traditions is something we must preserve it...never to let it become 'extinct'....

cheers and happy easter sunday...er easter monday here to you
hahaha

Heidi said...

All my best wishes to your family..Happy Easter/Passover :)

for_the_lonely said...

Your Easter dinner sounds like it was yummy!! :)

I hope that you had a great Easter! Hugs to you!!!

Love you,
Sarah

alan said...

Simple and lovely; absolutely the best!

As are you!

alan

Dr. Deb said...

Wishing you GOM and the girls a Happy Easter-Over. That's what we call it in our home.

~Deb

A Flowered Purse said...

Everything sounds wonderful!
Happy Late Easter
Love
di