Friday, March 10, 2006

I thought I was so smart!

Back in November I bought an extra turkey while the prices were so low, which I thought was pretty smart! I put it into the freezer as soon as I got home from the store. I took out the turkey on Monday and popped it into the fridge to defrost. When I took it out and opened it yesterday it smelled funny. I didn't put a slit in the wrapper as it thawed. My second mistake was telling David that I thought it smelled funny and that I was going to toss it in the trash.

He came home to drop off Zoe and I told him after the turkey aired out for a bit, it smelled fine. He didn't seem convinced that it was okay. I told him I would never cook a spoiled turkey! It is like when the milk smells funny. Once you ask somebody if it smells funny to them, it may as well be bad, cuz the seed has been planted.

We had the turkey dinner and it was quite delicious. An hour or so later, Zoe told me she had an upset stomach. I was thinking it was psychosomatic. She asked if the turkey was okay and I assured her it was. Anyhow, I immediately felt bad. I wondered why Katharine and I didn't feel bad. Then David came home and said thanks for the plate I had out for him. I suggested he eat something else, cuz Zoe was not feeling well and it could possibly be the turkey. He agreed that once the question of quality was raised, the turkey didn't sound very good.

So, Zoe got sick a few times last night. Said her tummy still hurts. She is on the couch and is staying home today. Did I give my child food poisoning? I don't think so. I still think it is psychosomatic....Although, I do feel bad. Needless to say the turkey is not in the trash.

She is lying on the couch in front of the TV I never want to turn off again! It is a Plasma TV that was very expensive when they first came out. There is a short in the on/off switch. I am just sick about it cuz I would love to fix it myself. Just a matter of soldering a circuit that my father could have fixed in a heart beat! However, he died almost eight years ago. So, I had to call around to TV repair places.

The first guy was very honest and I have used him before. He told me it could not be fixed in the home. Since it is only 4 inches wide, they would have to remove layers and layers of circuit boards to find the right one to fix. He suggested I get a new TV set cuz this was going to cost no less than $650.

I called another place and they wanted $95 for a service call, $500 labor and he didn't know how much the parts would be yet. And, the labor fee could increase, that was the minimum cost of fixing the plasma TV. They only cost a couple grand now, much cheaper that four or five years ago. We checked around at pricing. I still want to get ours fixed. The stupid thing would not turn on and it was Academy Awards Night. Later it worked. Then the other day it wouldn't turn on again! I can tell when it is not going to work. The red light blinks rapidly. Hours later, it stops blinking so rapidly and the TV will go on. Now, I am afraid to turn it off for fear it will not come back on!

I really don't want another TV and to have to reconfigure all the wires with the theater system, cable box, Tivo, and TV. It gives me a headache that I may have to do that again! I can do it though. I just get a bit crazed and used to take many smoke breaks! Can't do that anymore. I have never gotten a new TV where it was wired the same was as the current one that I had. Ever! So, I don't expect it to happen this time either. All is well if I just leave it on until the next thing goes wrong with the TV. It doesn't take very much electricity. Lots less than the older versions did. In a perfect world, it would just work and come back on each and every time I clicked the button.....

6 comments:

for_the_lonely said...

Jenn and I are the same way with things that we think is spoiled. We actually quit buying meat from one of the local grocery stores ebcuase not even two days after you being home meat, it goes bad ( if left in the frige). What's worse is that Jenn does not have a knack for smelling rotten food, so she'll bring the raw meat to me to have me smell it. Can you say "AG city"?? LOL I'll dry heave for about a half an hour afterwords..I sometimes wonder if she does it on purpose !LOL

When we first got our cable, it would sometimes not kick on when we turned the tv on, so for the longest time, we left the tv on 24/7, so I can totally sympathize with being worried about it not turning on! Isn;t it crazy how much technicians charge to fix your tv? My parents had a big screen tv, and the fuse went out not too long after they purchased it. The technicians told her the same thing as you..that after all is said and done, they might as well buy a new tv....sheesh...

I hope that you get your tv fixed, or can find a new one at a great price! I hope that you and Katherine get to feeling better!
Have a great weekend!

Love,
Sarah

alan said...

Buy an extension cord with an on/off switch in it (like the heavey duty outlet strips), or make one, and plug the TV into it. Wait for it to cooperate, then start using the cord to turn it on and off...

Been through this with one that wasn't nearly so nice, lol!

alan

Dr. Deb said...

I agree with the spoiled milk example. I hate the dry heave experience too!!!!!

zbjernak said...

poor zoe...
but i think i agree with you... is all in the mind ... hahahaha... if only u hv not tell them about the funny smell, well zoe might not have the tummy upsets. But the again, it could be other food tht zoe might hav consumed...

talk abt tv... the labour charge itself is $500??!!?? tht is super expensive... really... didnt u call back the TV manufacturer? i am sure they have service centre which will be more professional... no?

anyhow... u hav a nice weekend yah..
cheers

Heidi said...

I hope Zoe is feeling better..Do u think she will be turned off of Turkey now?....If I get a bad reaction to certain foods I won't be able to have them again...But that's me and my neurotic paranoid self.. ;)


Have a good weekend.

author said...

wow, that is expensive !
I would hate to have to unwire our entertainment center too.
I recently redid our office/art studio and the wires for two computers, TV VCR, two phones, cell chargers etc... you get the picture.
Gave me a major headache literally.

I think I would leave it on too.

Sorry about your sick baby girl.