Sunday, March 05, 2006

Patriot's Day Parade

Friday after school, we set up a booth sale for GS cookies. We sold 96 boxes in less than two hours. Not very much foot traffic for some reason. Back again in less than two hours for another booth sale downtown.

Yesterday was the Patriot's Day Parade and a dozen of us sat inside a restaurant to watch the parade. This was the third year we have done this. The quantity of people increases yearly. It is so much fun though. Even without bloody marys, mamosas and margaritas! When we were done about eight friends came in and we let them sit with us and we left, purposely leaving the big table to them. They got the table without going thru the front, so it was kind of sneaky, but worked out very well. Trevor, our waiter was not the least bit upset. Maybe because he was happy to see seven 12, 13 and 14 year olds leave! Actually, I think he enjoyed waiting on all the girls, who were having a blast, we just paid the bill.

One of our local theater companies in town does a lot of tongue in cheek and out and out jokes about things that happen in town. Our town didn't allow the Minutemen into the parade which made big news here. They have been protesting the local labor area in the canyon too. I don't see any American's out there day in and day out, in all types of weather looking for work. Anyhow, the No Square Theater made fun of the incident by dressing silly, as always, and singing a song about the Minutemen and handing out green cards, with the theater info on the other side.

This was the first year one or both of our daughters were not in the parade. They could have been, with many different shops in town or the girl scouts as well. It was kind of nice to sit without having to go retrieve a child. It was also so cute to see all the little kids who are now walking with the band, chorus, theaters, scouts, Hobie, boys and girls club, etc., they were sooo little. I miss when I had little tiny girls, but then I remember how much I love and enjoy them now as teenagers too. The time goes so fast, as it was told to us over and over again. Only to really realize it once it has gone by. Slow down, take the time to enjoy the NOW.

4 comments:

alan said...

I know where there is a Statue that has etched on it "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses". Somehow the groups that have forgotten where their ancestors came from and think they are entitled to decide who else gets to share our lives irk me no end!

Would love to have seen your theatre groups skit!

:o)

Glad you had a good time!

alan

Dr. Deb said...

I love this time of year...that spring is near AND that it's girl scout cookie time. I love the Samoas and of course the chocolate mint. Picked up three boxes. Sadly, I may be the one that eats them all. LOL!

It does pull at your heart when you see the little ones. I know what you mean. But I agree, having your girls in the moment now is so precious too. I feel that way about my little girl (almost a teeneager).

~Deb

zbjernak said...

it is always better to watch then to involve...no?
heheheheheh

Lois Lane said...

Amen Sista!
A couple of my elderly friends at the historical society talked me into being Lady Liberty in a parade. Although it was fun, I would much rather watch it go by. :)
Lois Lane