Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Finally, Brokeback Mountain




After all the hype and anticipation, I finally got to see Brokeback Mountain yesterday afternoon. Was it worth the wait? Yes. Was it the best love story of all time? No.

Brokeback Mountain is a beautiful film. The characters were somewhat painful to watch. For me, it was particularly agonizing to watch how life was forty years ago, for the cowboy lovers. It could have been written with an interracial or interfaith couple as well. There was no tolerance or understanding back then. If there was, only a few voiced it and not vociferously. One thing is clear, we have come a long way in the last half century. To be open and out, to be free to express love without reprisal, was just a dream back then. Sadly, even today, there are some who just don't get it. No doubt we have a long way to go, as ignorance which breeds intolerance, is still alive and well.

The acting was excellent on all levels. It was directed brilliantly. The setting was absolutely spectacular. The movie was a bit slow in spots, but I think necessary, to let the viewer get to know the characters more profoundly and see where they came from.

All in all, in was a good movie and I would definitely want to own it on DVD.

I went to see this movie with my friend Amy and three of her friends, whom I had never met. After the movie we moved to a nearby restaurant and were met by yet another of Amy's friends. She had seen the Brokeback Mountain already and wanted to hear our take on the movie. The six of us discussed the movie and it was nice. Like a book club, but a movie club. We are considering having a movie club. How fun is that? It was also interesting to see what stood out to some and how some noticed things others didn't. Or just a completely different take on certain scenes.

I am not one who would normally feel comfortable going out with a group of people I don't know. I sit in the aisle seat, in case I need to flee. David knows this and always makes sure I get the outside seat. I have had panic attacks in the past, at plays and other events. I quietly slip out and get air and calm down. I don't know why I have the dreaded panic attacks, but I have learned how to handle them and still be able to attend shows, as long as I can get out in a hurry.

This was a terrific group of women and I am glad I met them. They were fun, lively and all very intelligent. I cannot wait until we do it again!

10 comments:

alan said...

Glad you had such a wonderful time, and the idea of the movie club is delightful. Here one of the "art houses" has a "discussion group" at a coffeehouse once a month. Of course, working nights keeps me out of it, but someday...

Someday I'll tell about my one time need for aisle seats...time to get ready for work again!

alan

Heidi said...

Nancy..Thanx for the review.

If I ever make it out to Laguna Beach we should def do a movie/lunch. :)

Grumpy Old Man said...

As the Duchess said, "I don't really care what people DO, so long as they don't frighten the horses."

However, like many men, I have no interest in seeing a gay romance unfold on the silver screen.

On the other hand, Zoƫ and I went to see "End of the Spear" about first contact between American missionaries and Amazonian Indians, violence, death and forgiveness. An unsung jewel of a movie, with beautiful scenery and aviation photography.

Clandestine said...

i'm the worst pen pal! i wrote you a letter a week and a half ago, but just haven't mailed it yet :(

i'm sorry!!

Jaded said...

Thanks for the review. I don't really have any interest in seeing the movie. I don't have any problem with the idea of a same sex relationship...I support same sex marriage. The thing that I find offensive is the idea that I'm supposed to find it to be this beautifully tragic love story. It's a story about deceit and infidelity at its most basic level, and I don't see the need to glorify that. Nor do I like the implication that if I don't like the movie, I must be homophobic. There doesn't seem be an in between with this particular film. Of course, my perception could be totally off since I haven't seen the movie. I have no doubt that it was wonderfully acted and directed, and that the cinematography was beautiful. I guess I just don't like to see movies where I'm expected to feel one way or another because it's the politically correct thing to do.

I am glad that you had such a great time with your friend and her friends...well, now they're your friends too! A movie club sound like so much fun!

BonnyT said...

Sounds like a great idea....

I'll be renting the movie (through the mail...my new discovery and such a fantastic idea!!) mostly because I don't know when I'm going to make it to a move ever again....LOL>

If I could just put in my 2 cents to j&o's comment regarding it being a film about deceit and infidelity. Sure, it ends up being about that (or so I understand), but it is also about the painful journey that a lot of gay men go through as they discover who they really are. I think it is worth watching, simply for that reason....for understanding.

A Flowered Purse said...

thanks for that review nancy, i am still on the fence about the movie, however for fun i have been singing the brokeback cowboy to the tune of rhinestone cowboy and it has been very catchy
Have a great thursday
Love
Dianna

Nancy said...

I went to see this movie mainly because of how terrific I had heard it was.

Of the six of us who watched the movie, three thought it rated a five or lower.

I thought it rated higher. I thought so because it was a beautiful movie, the acting was superb and it was well told.

I did not see this movie to be politically correct. I am often not politically correct!

I saw this for a few reasons and I liked it for several reasons. I didn't feel that I would be a homophobe if I didn't like it. I found it very sad.

I do or don't see movies because it may have affairs glorified. Whether it is a gay couple or not. I see it for what it is for and I make my own decision.

I don't agree with affairs. I may watch them on the silver screen though. That does not mean I agree with what transpires in a movie is the be all end all of what movie should be seen.

I don't agree with bank robbers, killers and many other characters, but I may still want to see the film.

Playground In My Mind said...

I didn't read this too far in because I haven't seen it yet:) Glad you liked it. hugs, Renee

sttropezbutler said...

Take the time to read the "novella."

It is worth the read. Really.

STB