Tuesday, January 10, 2006

"Mommy can even make the dog feel guilty!"

Apparently, I can make anybody at anytime feel guilty. A gift? I think so! To those I make feel guilty, maybe not so!

Tonight, Charlie got a hold of an expensive tie of hubs. Hub had it nicely folded on the kitchen table. Not lost on Charlie as a meal, he took it out to the deck where Zoe and I were writing thank you notes. We tried to retrieve it, but he would have no part of it. We finally got it away and the tie was ruined. Zoe hung it on a light to show David when he got home from chorus. He saw it and was none too happy. Maybe putting things away would work?

Charlie takes paper towels, food and anything else on the counter that he can get. This includes dollar bills, so far, only ones. We have almost learned to push things back so he cannot get them. Sometimes we fail. You would think the dog grew up with a bunch of other dogs and never got his fair share. We got him at eighteen weeks, and they even called him chunk a monk. He seems to eat everything in sight as if we are starving him, which we most certainly are not!

After Charlie growled at me for trying to save the tie, which I don't tolerate, he let go. No, I didn't smack him, although I did yell at him. I went to another room and I heard Katharine say, "Mommy can even make the dog feel guilty!" I cracked up hearing this and when I came back, I told them, "I have my next post!"

I am not Jewish, but I am an honorary Jewess, according to my sister in law. I don't mean to use guilt as a weapon, but it certainly works. Funny thing is that I truly don't even try. For instance, somebody, of course, unnamed, was going on and on about her day. When I spoke, she cut in. I stopped talking. She told me to finish what I was saying. I declined. She told me that I do that all time and it isn't fair. The way I see it is, if I, or anybody else is talking, the considerate thing to do is listen and then talk. If I am interrupted enough, I finally quit! Not a Jewish thing at all, just a matter of common courtesy.

The stubborn part of me says, " I am so done" and I am. No matter what cries come from anybody. I am just done! If I am not worthy of hearing the first time then, well you know!

12 comments:

alan said...

I try about 3 times then walk away or quit; most times unnoticed...

If you were to put some tabasco on a paper towel and leave it where the dog would grab it, after 3 or 4 times he might think better of it. Not nearly so harsh as a shock collar or some of the other things I've seen over the years. It also might not work, or he might decide he likes tabasco, but most of them don't.

A year or two ago I heard a variation of that on NPR when they were talking to someone about keeping squirrels out of bird feeders. They had figured out that soaking the seed in cayenne pepper didn't bother the birds a bit, but since squirrels don't have salivary glands they have to immediately find water, and will leave that feeder alone after they get in it just once!

alan

Heidi said...

Too funny abot the jewish guilt..I can relate..lol

Now Charlie is another situation..Not sure what advice i can give..Hmmmmmm..

Grumpy Old Man said...

Why can't you be like the bitch next door?

Don't you know you're giving me agita?

Grumpy Old Man said...

When I drop dead, you'll have to get your own kibble!

for_the_lonely said...

hahahaha on the Jewish guilt..as you know, my mother is Jewish..I believe that she is the queen of guilt trips..she used to tell me " you'll regret ( fill in the blanks here) when I am dead!" LOL!!! I was always a sucker for that line!

I am sorry to hear about David's tie! I'd be really upset too!

I hope that all is well in sunny California! Love ya!

Love,
Sarah

zbjernak said...

nancy's tag-line :

"You won't like me, when i am angry"

hehehe

Carie said...

my daughter cause it moms lethal weapon

my dog goes for the garbage when ever we leave, we just have had to learn to pick it all up off the floor when we leave...never taken stuff off the table, the cat does that

Lois Lane said...

I'm sorry, did you say something? LOL! Just kidding. I say be proud of your gift and your funny kid. Bad Charlie indeed. Think he was a goat in his past life?
Lois Lane

sjobs said...

My brother's golden ate an entire pound of butter once, wrappers and all. Needless to say, he spent a lot of time outside the rest of the day.

Good luck with remembering to push things back.

Mary

Playground In My Mind said...

Sometimes dogs eat everything in sight when they have worms. I hope not, but it is a thought worthy of consideration. Jewish guilt. Catholic guilt. Mea culpa. I can't like that.;) Renee

Dr. Deb said...

I am a honorary jewess too via marriage...

So hard when the dog misbehaves, isn't it.

~Deb

Cindy said...

Thank you my friend for the smile! I so needed it today!