Sunday, January 15, 2006

We Do Have A Cat

Yesterday Charlie went for a bath and a pedicure. While he was out, we brought up Patric the cat. No k, just Patric. Zoe gave him the name and the spelling.

Patric is a big furry orange cat. He used to have free rein of the house. Once Charlie got too big for his crate, which he slept in at night, Patric took to the lower level of the house, where all the bedrooms are. We were sad for him at first, but he has all the comforts he needs. He is an indoor cat. We have coyotes around here.

I don't have a photo of him on my new computer cuz the photos didn't migrate with the rest of the stuff. I am sure somebody in the family will send me a photo to upload. I will also learn how to get those photos before the old laptop goes to the boneyard.

Patric used to sit under a plant and try to get the birds around their feeder. We made sure he had a bell on his collar so he would scare the birds, but not eat them. He loves to hunt.

While Charlie was gone yesterday Zoe brought him up and he sniffed everything single plant on the deck. He was very nervous and listening for the dog. Charlie was supposed to be gone for hours, but Patric didn't know that. He smelled the dog all over the place. He was having a good time checking things out. His tail was wagging. He was so happy.

Then Hub called. He and Charlie were on their way home. Zoe got Pat the cat and took him back downstairs. He let out a couple of cries and we felt sorry for him. He came back upstairs and went out onto the deck again. About that time, Hub arrives with a clean Charlie. I shut the open door to the deck. Patric knew Charlie was home and freaks. Charlie saw Patric out on the deck and just looked, didn't bark. David and Zoe tried to get Charlie into the bathroom so Patric could go back down to his domain, which is gated at the bottom of the stairs.

When the attempt at getting Charlie to chill in the bathroom failed, Hub just held the leash and I opened the door. Patric came in and went to the stairs. He was unsure if he would go down until we let Charlie off the leash.

Once Patric was downstairs, Charlie went all around smelling every where the Patric had been.

Zoe was hoping that Patric would have enough fun upstairs that he would confront his hate, I mean fear, of Charlie and come up more often. Who knows, it could happen!

13 comments:

Grumpy Old Man said...

Here are two pictures of Patric the cat, and a link to a disturbing image of a demagogue posing as one.

Jaded said...

Cats have such attitude, don't they? My dogs are friends with the cat, but she still stays upstairs all the time. My mother swears we don't even have this cat, even though we've had her for 9 years. That's how frequently she'll grace us with her presence downstairs, lol.

Nancy said...

Jan was nice enough to send me a photo of Patric from my archives! How sweet is that?

I tried to upload the photo and Blogger is having some problems at the moment. I will try again later.

Thanks Jan. David too.

Heidi said...

I just saw the picture..I'm not a cat lover but the Orange is beautiful!

zbjernak said...

charlie and patric dont mix well with each other?

you had them since young at the same time?

i have a fren...who has a dog and a cat..both stay indoor..sharing bed and food... awesome ... no?

for_the_lonely said...

Patric (no k) kitty is a beautiful cat!!! Thanks to David for the pictures! :)

I hope that he makes it upstairs sometimes soon..who knows, maybe Charlie and Patric will be the best of buds after a while! :)

I hope that you are having a great weekend! Love ya!

Love,
Sarah

Just Jan said...

You're welcome Nancy. I like the photos that David linked better than the one I found....you can see Patric better. Hope blogger works for you soon. I always love the photos you share with us.

Playground In My Mind said...

Our cats have ignored Bessie, our Basset for two years. Pepper finally goes nose to nose with Bessie and they smell each other, but Salsa won't have anything to do with Bessie. Salsa is the matriarch-the upper kitty, upper dog and sometimes teenager of our home. She rules all. Yes! All bow down to Salsa...except Bessie of course. Renee

Dr. Deb said...

The pictures of Patric on GOM's blog are so beautiful. He is a gorgeous cat.

~Deb

lightfeather said...

I love cats! They definitely own you, not in the reverse.

Loving you,
Lighty

sttropezbutler said...

Perhaps one day we will all get along.

STB

Happy MLK Day!

Carie said...

aww hes adorable ( I followed the link) my cat loves the dogs...well except for my littlest dog, she thinks she is a mouse or something to destroy, so we have to watch her lol...the cat weighs 16-20 pounds, the dog weighs 4 pounds lol

Karen said...

my dog and two cats get along like brothers --- best friends one minute then beating the crap out of each other the next ! most of the time they all get along very well. who knows, maybe Patric and Charlie will warm up to each other :)
the pics of Patric are adorable--what a pretty kitty !
hugs,
Karen