Friday, January 27, 2006

Random

I watched Oprah with James Frey yesterday. It was very uncomfortable to watch. She was embarrassed. He is a liar. His answers made no sense for one who is such a good fabricator. I have not read A Million Little Pieces. I wonder what possesses somebody to do what he did. Did he actually make all that stuff up to make the book better? Did his publisher push for him to make it more sensational? Did they actually think they would not be found out? My impression of James Frey is that he is simple. I wonder who really wrote the book. I cannot believe they are going to release another batch of books with a disclaimer. Why didn't they just call it a work of fiction? What do millions of people feel who have read his book, now that they know it is not a memoir? I give him credit for going on TV in front of millions of people and enduring Oprah's wrath. On the other hand, one reason I think he is simple, is because he has gone on TV to say that he didn't lie and not only to Oprah, but to Larry King as well. What will he do with all those millions he has made, thanks to Oprah? What are the chances of him every penning another book and getting it published? Probably pretty good. He can come clean again, this time about lying and the dark secrets of publishing companies.

Finals this week for the girls. They have gone pretty well. Today is the last day. It has been a busy couple of weeks and by yesterday an ailing Katharine needed to just stop! No lunch with a friend. No going to the school to see a talent show rehearsal. She needed to stay put on the couch and do absolutely nothing. After about three hours of this, she was better. Her throat still hurt and she was still coughing, but she had some energy back. She had to study, do some laundry and pack for a weekend in the mountains with her girl scout troop. No rain here means no snow there. Except for the man made stuff. It is cold enough for that at least. I am sure they will have a good time.

We never made it to Brokeback Mountain. We have all rescheduled for Monday. Monday is a day off school. I would like to see some more Oscar contenders before the big show.

Local NPR is doing their fund raising, it is annoying me. I know they need to do it, still, it annoys me. I need to go to another radio station for the next two weeks. Thankfully, they do not have their fund drives simultaneously.

I finally got the incentives (prizes) for the nut sale for girl scouts, which was back in October. Talk about slow. I now have them in troop order and really want them out of my house! I have received too many emails from troops asking for them. As if I got them and stashed them until I felt like giving them out! And 8 items belonging to five troops are on back order! What a pain in the ass. To top it off, cookie sales have begun! Only the preorder right now. Nobody really likes the preorder part. I guess the scouts do it so they know how many cookies to have baked. Still, people like instant gratification. Pay for cookies and receive cookies. That begins in a few weeks. You will see them all over. Booth sales outside stores and other locations, only lasts two weeks. After being bombarded every place one goes, two weeks is plenty long. Until next year.

Katharine will be 13 next week and is still stressing about what she can do for her birthday. Apparently, her friends want her to have another sleep over. She did that the past two years. She is still undecided. Now we will have two official teenagers in the house. They are good kids.

Last night I had a beautiful dream that our garage was clean and piles of laundry were all washed and put away. Then I woke up.

Happy Friday.

7 comments:

alan said...

They are good kids because they have the best Mom!

Good luck getting to a movie, I've been trying to for a couple of weeks now, nothing works out like I plan! I did two loads of laundry last night when I came home, got to bed at 5, up at 11 and started another before I go to the gym, just trying to get ahead on that for the weekend!

Here we have 3 public stations; they all do their drives at once...makes me crazy!

alan

Heidi said...

Nancy..Frey does have another book about..I beleive it's about a friend of his. I wonder how the sales will be.

Have a great weekend~


Btw..Hope your Dream comes true very soon.. Goodluck. ;)

Cindy said...

I didn't watch Oprah, but there was enough news coverage to get the drift. I don't think I've ever seen her quite so angry!

Jaded said...

Let me just say that I covet your new vacuum, and I have more laundry to get to than I care to admit.

I don't give the guy credit for showing up... he really had no choice. And it makes me so annoyed to hear people saying that Oprah was too hard on him, and now they feel sorry for him because his lies didn't kill anyone. (of course, every road leads back to the President with some people) A lie is a lie is a lie. I think what he did was wrong, and it makes me sick to think that he made such a hefty profit from it. It didn't take courage for him to show up because it didn't matter what he said. It's not like he has to give a single penny back.

I pre-ordered my cookies from one of my students. Can't wait to get them! And I'm sure Katharine will have a lovely birthday no matter what she chooses to do.

Long comment, sorry. I haven't been around much, and now Jadette is VERY sick. Sinus infection, bronchitis, etc. Poor thing. She's been in my bed since 2PM yesterday. She looks so tiny in the middle of my king size bed.

for_the_lonely said...

Yea!!! You survived "finals" week! I hope that you all have a great time at the movies! You'll have to tell me if Brokeback is worth renting! :)

Have a great weekend!

Love,
Sarah

sttropezbutler said...

Laundry and lying.

I am amazed that no one makes the larger connection in terms of what has transpired with the Frey book. We seem to be surrounded by lying politicians, moving us in directions based soley upon lies. We have corportations which were and are based solely on lies.

We must address this issue in our lives and in our society or we will never pull ourselves out of this sink hole.

As for laundry....I do love the Method laundry soap! Not cheap..but works nicely! LOL

STB

Playground In My Mind said...

The funny thing about Oprah was the week before she said, "It's much ado about nothing." Then the emails rolled into her studios and THAT is when her ire was raised, so I personally think that she is guilty of theatrics, too...but that is my opinion. ;) Renee