Friday, January 13, 2006

Friday the 13th and My Brother Turns 50!

I grew up hearing how wonderful Friday the 13th is because my brother was born on this day, a half century ago! My friends always had their superstitious feelings about this day. I suppose that is why I am not bothered by a black cat crossing my path either. I had a black cat and now there are two in the neighborhood. What kind of day would I have if every time I saw those kitties, I thought it was bad luck?

I walk on cracks, although I don't allow my children to! Not really. I don't mind walking under a ladder (provided it is tall enough) or opening an umbrella inside either. I am not fond of those emails that say I will have bad luck if I don't foward them. In fact, I dislike the ones that say something good will happen to me if I forward it to ten or so people, just as much.

My brother is not real happy about turning 50. Can't say that I blame him, I will be there in four years myself. I am hoping that I will be happy to turn 50! 30 was hard, 40 was a piece of cake. Yes, literally and lots of gifts cuz I threw myself a big shindig.

Of course, hitting 50 is better than the alternative. He is healthy, he has a wonderful loving family and is generally happy. Who can complain about that?

My brother and I are closer now than when we were growing up. I mean, he is four years older. He did have some cute friends though.

Happy Birthday Clark and Happy Friday the 13th to everyone else!

10 comments:

alan said...

Hmmmmm. I just turned 50, my "little" sister turned 46 in August. Curiouser and curiouser!

I love 50! I'm in the best shape of my life physically, have a wonderful family, a good job, and a lot of wonderful friends "out in the world". Yes, if I dwell on the news I can become disillusioned, but that's going to change soon as well!

Give your brother a hug for me, tell him congratulations, we're halfway. A thousand years ago you died by 40 because your teeth were gone and either you couldn't eat, or got an infection; that was if you made it that far!

90 is the new 50!

alan

CrackerLilo said...

Black kitties are beautiful! :-)

I hope your brother has a happy birthday, and I'm glad you have happy associations with Friday the 13th! Have a great one!

Grumpy Old Man said...

Fifty is nothing.

I'm thinking about ninety.

A Minha Sombra said...

hello, hello, how are you?

Heidi said...

I hope your brother is having a wonderful birthday!

I bought a lotto ticket today for a 10 mill draw tonight..Ya never know, Fri the 13th could be my lucky day.

Have a great weekend Nancy~

for_the_lonely said...

Happy birthday to your brother!!! Jenn is turning 30 this year...she is freaked...lol...then I remind her how 40 is only 10 years away...hahaha...sometimes it is fun being the younger one..LOL.

Love you, and have a great weekend!

Love,
Sarah

Green tea said...

Ahhh, 50 I remember it well....GiGi

sttropezbutler said...

50? What's that?

I cruised by so quickly I've forgotten.....

STB

A Flowered Purse said...

I am not real superstitous either.
Happy birthday to your brother Happy 50! thats a big birthday!
Have a great weekend
Love
dianna

Karen said...

happy belated to your brother :)

good thing you didn't grow up in my home LOL ! my Mom was super duper superstitous ! like:
walking round the wrong side of the pole and having to say "bread and butter", opening an umbrella in the house, walking under a ladder, crossing the path of a black cat, spilling salt, finding a pin or penny on the ground and reciting the poem for luck, wishing on hay trucks, wishbones, stars, coins thrown in a fountain,
your necklace turned towards the front, your palm itches so money is on the way and so many more I can't write them all !
I admit that even to this day I still do these things and people tease me to no end ! LOL
hugs,
Karen