Monday, November 28, 2005

A day of errands

Not much to write about tonight. I had a day of running errands, cleaning, doing laundry and paying some bills. Fun stuff huh?

I stopped at the grocery store before I picked up Zoe from school. I had plenty of time to pick up the few items I needed. Or so I thought. Two cashiers open. Finally another one opens up and a nice old lady moves over. Fair enough, she is next in line. I waited while this other woman pushing her own small cart got in front of me as well. She said, "You don't mind if I go ahead of you, do you?" I told her no problem, looking in her cart. Then she tells me that she cannot put the stuff up onto the counter because she is trying to avoid back surgery. Hmm. I told her I would put her stuff up. There was already a bag full of items, which I thought she had already purchased. Wrong. When I put the bag on the counter, she dumped it out and gave the bag to the box person to throw away. The woman behind me was already huffing and puffing because she was in a hurry. At this point, so was I. The old woman in front of me also has a case of wine, a gallon of vodka, and six eggs, which was all I thought she had originally. She finally got done and gave the cashier her credit card and then signed her name with what must have been her middle and all her hyphenated names as well. Finally, she turns to me and says, "Thank you for your help." I told her no problem and was finally able to pay for the six items I had.

I was ten minutes late picking up Zoe. She understood. If it is not a woman in the grocery store, it is a trash truck or a bus coming down from the top of the hill that I inevitably get behind. Just another day in paradise!

I believe this is the shortest post I have ever written....

9 comments:

for_the_lonely said...

Hey, at least the old lady was nice enough to say thank you..some people do not even do that after you let them go ahead of you! Usually Jenn and I will let people go ahead of us if we have a lot of stuff, adn they don't...or if we are at the gas station and need money orders for bills...we'll let people go ahead of us then too, as that takes up some time...

This camera is wonderful! As you saw on my blog, I took a lot of pics of the snow...before and after...and I took a vidwo of Jenn sweeping the stairs before checking the mail! LOL I think I smell an oscar in my future! LOL!!!!

Hope that you are doing well!

Love you,
Sarah

Dr. Deb said...

For me, it's the dreaded school bus that I get stuck behind!


~Deb

lightfeather said...

I have a "bad habit" of letting other folks go ahead of me in the line especially if they look harried or if they have fewer items than I do.

Yesterday my mom told me that she had tried to do a little shopping for the holidays after her radiation treatment. She has a tradition of buying everyone underware (go figure) and had picked up the packages at Kohls. While waiting in the line she bagan to tire so she put her items on the counter and found a place to sit near by close to a mannequin and observed the woman ahead of her making her progress towards completion. She stood up to make her way back to the line only to observe the woman behind her, removing her items from the counter and putting them behind her in the line because she was in a "hurry." My mom didn't make a fuss. She does so much want to be independent in spite of the chemo and radiation treatments.

I guess we often do not know what is going on in someone else's world so when in doubt, it is always best to choose kind. You did. Your kiddo understood. It is a lesson being passed on. You're a great mom!

Love to you,
Lighty

Carie said...

I think things like that happen to moms world wide...when ever you are in a hurry to pick up your kids...someone or something has to make it difficult lol

zbjernak said...

life is a paradise itself... no?
hahahahhahahaha...

well.... perhaps that old lady slow u down..
but on the other side of the story...your help perhaps brighten up her day and save her form goin to the doctors...

shortest post...hhmmm nope...
Three Things Thursday's post is shorter...

for_the_lonely said...

Just stopping by to say hello, and hope tha tyou had a good day, and a sunnier tomorrow!

Love you,
Sarah

A Flowered Purse said...

Running late drives me insane!
Esp when its due to others!
Hugs and look forward to catching back up on your posts!
love
dianna

Phoebe said...

So we have a line of paying customers (yay!) at the counter on Sunday and an older man who is paying with a debit card and has to do his pin 3 times before he gets it right. Whatcha gonna do? Everyone was very nice although you could see some people shifting on their feet. Holiday shopping!

Karen said...

I hear you on this one.
in my case it is usually traffic that makes me late but it is always something isn't it? LOL
atleast our kids are used to it and understand that is how it goes.
hugs,
Karen