Friday, November 25, 2005

Shopping Before Dawn is Fun!

First let me say that Thanksgiving day was wonderful. More food than anybody could eat. All kinds too. And bread from a store in San Francisco! OMG.... Cuzbro Ron made a turkey on the bbq and it was unbelievable! Yummy smoked flavor. His sister, also my cousin, LOL, brought a spiral ham from her home in Mesa, AZ. Her son 14 now and so tall. A great kid too. And my cuzsis Pam had her sister and husband and their kids and one of her brothers, who brought the bread! You can order this wonderful bread in the shape of a turkey or rolls. I have not looked at the catalog out of fear of liking everything in there! Pammy worked her tail off all day and it was a wonderful time. All the love in the preparation and the eating was evident. And the desserts! Holy moly. David made an apple pie and cranberry bread. Yummy. There were other pies and Pam's sister made a cake too! I made Annie's sweet potatoes and they were very good. I even liked them! Thanks Annie.

I woke up at one this morning and decided to plan my before dawn shopping trip. I got the ads out and then thought, hmm, if I can do a couple of these stores online, I don't need to go to all of them. Target was noncompliant! The things I needed were not all on their website. However, Kohl's rocked and I did get what I needed there. Of course I cannot tell you what I purchased, for obvious reasons!

Then I had planned to be at Target when they opened at 6:00. It took me a long time to go back to sleep after shopping in the middle of the night and I woke up at 5:50. I jumped up. Gave the dog his chicken jerky, brushed my teeth, washed my face, got dressed and I was out of here! No traffic on the roads near me, but lots of fog. Luckily, I know the roads, but I did drive safely. We have deer and coyotes around here and I would not want road kill on my conscience!

I got to Target by 6:20. The parking lot was overflowing. I found a spot where somebody was coming out and a great spot too! I got one of the few carts remaining. I got the things on my list. I was not shopping for toys and electronics, so I just had to dodge the carts of the crazed parents! I got Christmas cards for our annual photos of the girls, which I should take today. I got lots of lights for the house. Cool colored icicle lights for the house and soft blue for the fence and decks. I had never seen these before. Selection was great and not many others were looking at them. Too busy in other departments! I got two rolls of wrapping paper that will go with the wired ribbon I bought at Costco a few weeks back. I bought 5 huge rawhide bones for the dog. He gets so excited when he gets one and he stays pretty much to himself while chewing. I also got some cds for myself. It has been a long time since I have done this. I used to have 2000 songs on my computer from our collection and some purchased. I lost all of them when I got a new hard drive on my computer. Better to have to replace the music than the hard drive and my computer will last and last now. I got IL Divo *The Christmas Collection* I am importing it onto my computer right now. Man, not only are these men handsome, but I think they have lovely voices. I got Joe Nichols III. I love love love him! If you like country and have never heard of him, give him a try. His voice changes. Sometimes I hear Merle Haggard, George Jones, Keith Whitley and others in his voice. I like that he is versatile and cute too! And for a blast from the past, I got Culture Club greatest hits! HAHAHA. I love them. Check out was a breeze. Target was running the cashiers and customers like a well oiled machine. I have to admit, I was impressed.

I stopped by Staples on the way home. Actually, I was passing when I noticed they were open. I got a couple of stocking stuffers and some good photo paper. Prices at Target for photo paper are way over priced.

I have been shopping online for years, almost exclusively. This year has been no exception, but I did the Black Friday thing and it was fun. I think more stores should be open earlier, on normal days. I am almost done shopping now, a couple more stocking items and a couple more gifts and I am done!

Now, onto the decorations!

9 comments:

Dr. Deb said...

I know many love doing this, but I LOATHE it. I love to shop, and enjoy the experience of it, but not now. Where I live, shopping is ruthless, aggressive and no joy at all. I do all my shopping online or before the season starts. For those who brave the terrain, I tip my hat to ya!

~Deb

lightfeather said...

For many years my kiddo and I made a ritual of doing just that! Today I am at work (at least my body is) and my kiddo is at job interviews for part time jobs. Guess it was not meant to be. Things change and this year is one of them. Sigh...

Think I will sneak a peek at a few more blogs and then see if I can find my way to Black Friday on my way home. Full of giggles and turkey too!

Sounds like your Thanksgiving and shopping was wonderful!

Love to you,
Lighty

for_the_lonely said...

That is great that you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving! All of the foods you ate sounded so yummy!!!

I have done online shopping this year ( last year a did a little combination of stores, and online). Let me tell you, online shopping is the best!!! LOL I only have a few more gifts to buy for Jenny, and I am all done! Gotta love that! LOL It sounds like you had a good time shopping during Black Friday...good for you! I saw people being trampled on during stampedes...scarry! Glad to hear that you were in and out of the store! Whew!

Hugs to you, and have a great weekend!

Love you,
Sarah

Phoebe said...

AJ, the kid who works for me, has a girlfriend who manages a Quiksilver store in Woodbury Common, the huge, upscale outlet mall in upstate New York. They opened at midnight last night and will be open 24 hours. She caught a pair of shoplifters using a booster bag and had them arrested. You go, Trisha! (Trisha is a little thing of about 90 lbs. but don't mess with her!)

My store had traffic, but nothing out of the ordinary. I need those holiday crowds big time!

Babs said...

Oh Nancy, I laugh at cuzsis....My friend's brother's ex-wife (follow me here) married their cousin and had two little girls in addition to the little boys my friend's brother had with her...my friend dubbed them scuzzins. LOL
I did a Wal-mart Black friday thing a few years back...nope, not for me...a $40 TV just isn't worth it...! My sis started at 7 this morning and got home a 5 with just about all her shopping done. While I envy her enthusiasm for shopping, I didn't inherit that gene and will probably finish my shopping around 8 pm the day before christmas eve or possibly even on christmas eve day....I'm loving QVC this year and the on-line shopping.

Just Jan said...

I don't get up before the butt-crack of dawn unless I have to go to work. I have never and will never go shopping that early in the morning with 50,000 people all pushing and shoving for the same item. (I don't do crowds well as it is).

Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving and oh my the food you describe.(apple cranberry bread sounds so yummy) I still say if more families got together more often and gave thanks for what they have, that we'd be a better society.

Heidi said...

No Target in Canada..I am so jelous! ;)

Where do u get your energy from..lol

Have a great weekend Nancy.

BonnyT said...

I KNEW you were one of THOSE people, Nance.. ;)

If I had of been there, I would have been right there with you.

Although today I hit the mall HERE (remember: no sales, no nothing) and it was jam-packed. I got my stuff and got the hell out. That's what I get for hitting the stores on a Saturday...I usually avoid it.

So maybe I wouldn't be so good with Black Friday shopping...LOL.

Karen said...

I am so impressed !
I lack the shopping gene and really get stressed around the holidays because of it.
last year I did almost all of my shopping online and I was so much happier ! speaking of which, I better get on the ball here--it's around the corner now !

sounds like you all had a wonderful time and that the food was yummy :)
hugs,
Karen