Wednesday, November 30, 2005

On My MInd, Things To Do

The sunrise this morning was so spectacular that I had to show you....



Friday night is Hospitality Night here in town. The town is all lit up. They light a spectacular Monkey Tree (sp?) in front of City hall and Santa will be there, of course. The hub and his chorus will be singing. The scouts will be giving out coats to those less fortunate. We gave two bags of jackets and sweaters to the program called One Warm Coat. Katharine will not be working the booth though. Only four of our troop will be doing it for forty-five minutes. Then it is handed off to other troops. I suppose Zoe and I will head down there and check out the sales. All the stores in town will have sales that night. Katharine and some friends will be doing Hospitality night as a group this year.



The Winter Sawdust Festival has opened. It is so beautiful. Especially at night. Local artists displaying their wares. Our troop will be caroling there one night. There is even snow that is brought in for the kids to play in. It is pretty awesome. Better than the summer one, just because it is such a magical time of year. Still, the location is so quaint. It is in the canyon coming into town, located in a eucalyptus grove. It stays cool in the summer, so it gets quite cold, by California standards, this time of year.

I think Saturday the troop has a meeting to make up baskets for one family who lost everything in the Bluebird Canyon slide last summer. Each troop is helping a family. On the following Saturday, they are caroling inland. And the best thing they are doing is feeding the homeless a warm breakfast on the 18th. These are the good things that the Girl Scouts do.

We have much to do this month. As do all of you, I am sure. The tree definitely goes up this weekend. The lights on the house too! Which usually involves my neighbor and tequila! All I have left to buy are a few stocking stuffers. I want everything wrapped and under the tree this weekend too. The Thanksgiving deadline I set for myself, came and went, but I do have most things here already, so I am way ahead of last year. I still have Christmas cards to do too. Yes, I said Christmas cards. Even though some are "holiday cards" for the Jewish contingent. I have been doing this for fifteen years. The first year I sent out Christmas cards to everybody. Hub told me that some of those people were Jewish. So, now I get cards for Hanukkah and Christmas.

7 comments:

zbjernak said...

seems like i m not the only one who missed the datelines ...
u too
ahhahaahaha

hmmm...very nice... to do some charity work for christmas...

is time to share and time to give...

the pic is beautiful...
loves the ray of sun peeking through those holes from the clouds...
very nice

for_the_lonely said...

What a beautiful sunrise, Nancy! Thanks for sharing!

I was once a Girl Scout too..I was a Brownie, actually..I remember all the fun that I used to have, and all the good things that my troops and other troops did for our community. The Girl Scouts is a wonderful organization, and you are truly blessed to be able to be a leader with both of your children! Awesome! :)

I know what you mean about the Jewish cards..as you may know, my mother's side of the family is Jewish...so my Aunt and her two boys celebrate Channukah...of course, there is not one place here in this town that sells Channukah cards ( trust me, I looked last year! LOL). I wish that more companies offered Channukah goodies, but they seem very hard to come by! Either way, I am sure that my Aunt and cousins will appreciate some Channukah gelt! Chocolate is the best! LOL

Love ya,
Sarah

Carie said...

beautiful sky :o) and that sounds like an amazing family night...we are going to what our town calls the childrens festival of lights...a small parade, all the floats will be lit up....I love things like this :o)

Cathy said...

Beautiful photos, Nancy.
YOu have reminded me that I need to get onto the Christmas card writing (I refuse to call them Holiday cards) I like your idea of having separate cards for Jewish friends., etc. Maybe I'll buy some Kwanza cards this year too!

SassyFemme said...

Beautiful pictures! We do cards appropriate for both the Hanukkah and Christmas sides of our family, too. Fran's family is Jewish, mine is mainly Catholic.

Nancy said...

Z...It is a good time to share. We should do it year round!

Sarah...I find cards that are non Christmas. Holiday cards that I can attach a photo of the girls too. Which is what we do yearly. Even though I have a last name that is Jewish, my kids are not Jewish, because I am not Jewish. The mother has to be Jewish, for the kids to be. We have done the menorah and the tree a couple of times. The girls really have the best of both worlds!

Carie...Thanks about the photos. I think the Childrens Festival sounds like so much fun! Enjoy!

Cathy...I try not to call them Holiday Cards either. This does not offend me as much as a Christmas tree being called a holiday tree. It is a Christmas tree! Jewish folks light candles of the menorah. And good for them!

Sassy...We do both. I learned my lesson. And I respect other faiths. How do you have time for that when you are moving???

Karen said...

I love the pic !
just beautiful.
love all the special things that the scouts do.
as for the cards, I always try to find ones that speak of love and peace and that would be a greeting appropriate for all of my family and friends. some years I have made them on the computer but this year I just wont have the time.
take care.
hugs,
Karen