Sunday, November 13, 2005

Triscadecaphobia & Turkey

The fear of the number thirteen. Who knew? And no connection to the turkey! LOL

I was listening to a story on NPR (National Public Radio) just now and heard about this author name Nathaniel Lachenmeyer, who wrote a book called Curiously Enough, which attempts to uncover the history, psychology and evolution of the unlucky number 13.

He said it began in the 1700's and started with not having thirteen at dinner, because one of them would die within a year. A club sprang up in 1892, called the Thirteen Club. They set out to dispel the superstitions of the number thirteen. The author got hooked when he researched who the Thirteen Club were and what they did. He loved their macabre senses of humor. And I thought they were pretty funny too. LOL The club lasted until 1920.

He said the Thirteen Club planned a dinner with thirteen people to prove that none of them would die within a year. Then had the dinner in 1886 and they pulled out all the superstitions. People had to walk under ladders and past silhouettes of black cats. They had grave stones around and broken mirrors. They did prove that after a year nobody died. The only thing that died was the superstition of thirteen at the dinner table. The other superstitions seemed to have remained. I just thought this was interesting and wanted to share. Ther was more to it, but that was all I could remember to write here. You may read or even hear the story at npr.org . Under Weekend Edition Sunday.

Now, onto more important things, like my turkey dinner last night! Wow. It was fabulous. I used a cooking bag for the turkey. I put slits in the turkey and added some melted butter as well. It was the best turkey I have ever made. Right down to the moist white meat and the perfect color. It could have been a cover of a Thanksgiving Magazine edition. I am normally the worst with making turkey gravy. But the cooking bag enabled me to get all the juice and make a perfect gravy right in the disposable foil roasting pan on the stove. I even bought turkey gravy at Costco, because I know how my gravy turned out in previous years. I will forever use the oven bag! I use them occasionally for chicken, I don't know why I never tried one for the bigger bird. Anyhow, thought I would share that too.

Costco was fun. They had 50 sq. yards of wired ribbon for $7.95 a roll. Got some of those. Got everything on my list and didn't stray very much. They had beautiful, huge poinsettias, and I didn't buy even one. I figured that with a dog now, I would avoid poising him and they were too big to put on the rails of the decks. They would not have done well in the house either. Oh well. I did get one of my favorite things there, a Caesar salad with a turkey croissant for about $6. A great deal and yummy too. Funny that I had a turkey sandwich for lunch and then turkey for dinner. Oh well.

I will not have to go back for a very long time though. Which will be good on the wallet!

10 comments:

Shirley said...

Isn't any sandwich better when it's on a croissant? I love them!

Dr. Deb said...

I love stories like that...learning the origin of words, or legends, etc. This phobia is very vivid still today. No 13th floor on hotels or elevators!

I love Costco too.

~Deb

Carie said...

lol we spent both Friday and Saturday at Costco...we went to the one by my house got some stuff, then we went to the one by Kens house and got more stuff lol...tis the season, funny how each place has diffent things and they are only like 5 miles apart lol

A Flowered Purse said...

That was very interesting on the 13 i hadn't a clue! awesome!
Those cooking bags for turkey are awesome, the ones for roast are good too!
I can't wait for turkey!
Hugs and happy tuesday!
Love
dianna

lightfeather said...

I use those cooking bags too! The only way to fly (or cook)whatever the case may be! LOL!!

Just catching up with some reading. Shhhhhhhhhhhh...don't tell. I am at work!

for_the_lonely said...

Your salad and sandwich sounds delicuios! I am a salad freak! :)

The story about the number 13 is too cool...it is always interesting to know how things come about!

I hope that you are doing well, and hope to catch up with you soon!

Love you,
Sarah

PS I posted more pics on my blog, including the lake ones...just for you! :)

Jaded said...

The lunch AND the dinner sound delicious! I usually make my turkey in a clay baker that I have (roasting pan with a big lid) and it keeps the turkey (or chicken, or roast beef) very moist and juicy. I put butter and seasonings under the skin so that the meat gets some great flavor and not just the skin.

Thanksgiving is at my house this year, and there will be 13 of us with family and friends. The kids will sit at a different table, so there won't be 13 at one table, but technically it's dinner for 13. Glad to hear it's not a bad thing!

Phoebe said...

I went to Costco in lovely Wayne, NJ, and bought flank steaks which I normally use for a great Chinese dish called "Dry Fried Beef Shreds with Carrots and Celery". I actually just broiled half of one the other night and it was so delicious and tender.

Ran back to Costco today for carrots, cranberries (these giant Canadian crannies that I freeze so I can eat cranberry sauce all year) and AA batteries.

I heard the triskaidecaphobia (sp?) ("tris kai deka" is "three and ten" or "thirteen" in Greek) story too. The most compelling story of the week was about the guy who had a lobotomy in 1960 at age 12. If you haven't heard it, download it at NPR. It's amazing. Talk about evil stepmothers!

Phoebe said...

Did Patric get any turkey?

Karen said...

those cooking bags are great !
the 13 thing is pretty wild, huh?
funny how there are so many exclusions of that number in our daily lives still to this day.
hugs,
Karen