Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Where Is Fall?

It has been way too hot here. The past few weeks have been hot and ugly. Very dry. Can you hear the cracking? That's my nails and hands. Not enough moisture and if I am not careful I could round a corner and get caught by a hangnail! My lips are perpetually chapped. Now I have a freaking cold sore. Sinus headaches. We haven't had humidity higher than 20% in weeks! It is up to about 28% right now, but once the sun comes up, that will change.

You know those new cloths. Dust free types? Have you ever used them with dry hands? It is the worst feeling. My hands feel like velcro with those things! I clean and then have to unattach them from my hands. I have been slathering on lotion too. I should be using udder or hoof cream. Those two items work well on my feet and then I put on a pair of socks all night. That feels so great. I could never use them on my hands and then wear gloves all night though. Every time I wash my hands, I would have to re-apply. Not like I use my feet for very many things, you know?

I just heard that it is only supposed to be in the high seventies today with a slight chance of rain. Well, you can bet that means I still have to water. Even the dog has been drinking two bowls of water a day.

Okay, enough of that now. I got my hair colored and cut yesterday and I love it. Same as last time, but with a tiny bit more red for the holidays. Not too noticeable unless I am in the sunshine. I try to avoid that, because it fades! Got the eyebrows waxed too. I hate getting it done, but I love the results.

I turned in all the final reports and paperwork to the Girl Scout Council yesterday. Huge job. Tons of hours. Lots of ink and paper. Those who get us to volunteer are no dummies! I will probably do it again next year though. I did enjoy it, most of the time.

Made the final decision about Katharine and her acting manager. I called her yesterday and told her we are going to go for it. She seemed genuinely excited. I heard her tell somebody else who she was talking about. When I told her that we were going to go for it though, she seemed surprised. She said, "Reeeeally?" I guess when we were talking on Saturday about all the driving and work involved, we didn't seem too excited. Cuz, we weren't. We were excited for Katharine though.

I gave Katharine the cutest hand made card. No, not by me. Had a woman on it with velvet pants and a furry scarf, and the shirt said, "You are fabulous." I told Katharine to reach for the stars and we would do our best to help her. And that it would be a team (family) effort. Needless to say, Katharine is oh so excited!

I desperately need to go grocery shopping today. I cannot believe that Thanksgiving is in two days! I have been shopping though. In fact, I got maybe two hours sleep last night, so I did some shopping online. I am almost done. It will not all be wrapped by Thanksgiving, but most things should be here by the first of December and then the wrapping. I suppose that means it will be time to put up the tree and decorations too. I got a fake tree with lights that we have used the last two years. Although I love the smell of a real tree, they dry out so damn fast here that they are huge fire hazards. The fake tree looks real, and all the lights are already on it! Hopefully, I can get that done and just enjoy the rest before Christmas. Once the new year begins, we are off and running, more than ever before. I should say driving!

Don't know if I will make another post tomorrow or Thursday. Just in case I don't, I want to take a moment to tell you all to have a happy and safe Thanksgiving! That didn't take a minute, but Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

7 comments:

Cathy said...

I know exactly what you're talking about with the dust cloths...my hands are doing the same thing and my hair is getting very wispy in this weather; but wait a minute; you;re in California and I'm in Canada!...

Puffer said...

Happy Thanksgiving Nancy
I am glad you like your hair and stuff
It is so nice to have a treat
Puffer is one of my nicknames that is why I
changed it
Chris

A Flowered Purse said...

Fall and winter are here, Ill send them your way if you send me some nice weather for moving!
Glad you like your hair color!
I won't be by for awhile we are moving and I wont have any dsl access, so Ill try to get back soon
Have a wonderful and blessed thanksgiving
Love
Dianna

for_the_lonely said...

That is wonderful that you all decided to go with it for Katherine! How exciting!!!

I hope that your hands get better..that can really hurt!

I hope that you have a super great Thanksgiving! You are loved!

Love,
Sarah

Heidi said...

The heat has been turned on for a few weeks now..My hands, nose , skin, everything is dry..I still haven't found the perfect mosturizer. Nancy have u tried using a humidifier?

Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving Nancy.

Keep us posted on katherine's happenings.

Just Jan said...

I'll trade you weather any time your ready...LOL

Fab news about Katherine...she's blessed to have a family like yours. She'll do great.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.
(I got roped into cooking so mY Mom and Daughter & Grand daughter will be here....and I wish my Bob was too...But I have tons to be thankful for).

Karen said...

it is so dry here we have come to use the term "slather" for anything involving lotion or chap stick type products.
like "I slathered my lips 10 minutes ago but they are dry already" etc.
I even keep a variety of "slather" in every room of the house, in my purse, at work and in the car. a friend visiting from back east laughed when she saw I had a bowl on the coffee table with several flavors of lip slather--like it was a candy dish or something ! LOL

such wonderful news about Katherine. I am sure she knows how blessed she is to have such a supportive family there for her. I know she will be great !

hugs,
Karen