Saturday, November 12, 2005

Saturday Doings & Stuff

I have no reason to be up at 4:30 in the morning. I just woke up and you know how it is when you know you are done sleeping. Just done. Really drives me nuts too. Friday, no school, no reason to get up at 5:00 and I am wide awake. This morning I would have loved to sleep in, but I couldn't. So, I am balancing my checkbook, doing a load of laundry, paying a couple of bills online and typing this post! It is freezing too. 49 degrees. And yes, of course I am outside! I am wearing three layers. The pink sky is a sure sign that the sun is coming up and will warm things up very soon.

I am going to Costco today! I have not been to Costco since June, I think. I am not going to go crazy, but I am so excited. The girls are coming with me, that always costs us more. I have saved so much money by not going to Costco every couple of weeks or so. I actually used to do that. The smartest thing I did was move my prescriptions to a local pharmacy to eliminate the need to go there! And since digital, there has been no need for the photo department either. Although, I could use an eye examination....

I did the grocery shopping online the other day. I saved $82 in specials and the turkeys were a mere $5. I got two. I cleaned out the freezer of all items I could not remember purchasing, or recognize and had a nice lonely shelf for one of the turkeys. I am making the other turkey today. I may make the other one around March. I may get one more for around June too! Too cheap to pass up and I am not getting the enormous 20 lbs and up. I got one that weighed in at 17 lbs and one at 13 lbs. I had asked for the smaller 12-16 lbs, but got a bigger one. Guess they didn't care, they were all the same price. Anyhow, got the foil roasting pans too. No reason to rubadub scrub when I don't have to! We will not be here for Thanksgiving. We are going to Luke and Laura's! LOL Any good yam recipes, send them to me please. We just cook em like baked taters. I think I have to take a bowl of yams that are whipped or mixed. I will bring marshmallows, but I refuse to put them on top!

I have started my Christmas shopping. One year, I had it all done and wrapped by Thanksgiving. Hub mentions that often. I make sure he knows we had no kids then! I have told friends, we can do lunch instead of gifts this year. As for the extended family, well I still have a box of wrapped gifts for my brother's family from last year. They will be getting those, if I see them. My cousin's, we will do kids only. Makes it a lot less expensive. And, I told the kids to get me their lists. Thankfully, they are out of the toy phase and cannot point and click at all the Barbies and accessories they want. Now, they actually have to think about what they want. Zoe emailed her list to me. Katharine told me yesterday, she could not think of anything she wants. I said, what about those cowboy boots? Oh ya, she said. I don't think she lets her mind drift to clothing or accessories as being gifts! I have every intention to be done shopping and have all gifts wrapped by Thanksgiving. The race is on.

Not there was a single subject for this post, it is really rather all over the place, but, I thought I would finish with this. Last night I was sitting in the car behind a car who would not pull up to the car in front of it. I remembered in driver training that we were taught to stay back far enough that we could see the back tires of the car in front of us. So, I wondered if all the cars on the freeway did that, would they back up on the city streets? Just something to ponder.

9 comments:

Heidi said...

Nancy..I've been so used to getting up early that I was doing a wash at 7..ugh on the weekends..There should be a rule against that..lol

ps..can u buy me another Turkey while ur at it..Cook it and fed-ex it over..lol

I can't cook and wouldn't even attempt a Turkey..But I could boil a chicken.. ;)

Have a great weekend.

Dr. Deb said...

82$ in specials you saved? That is wonderful. I love getting the savings too!


~Deb

Cathy said...

4:30 a.m. Just because? OMG!!! I am awakened at that hous because of my 4 month old. Do you know what I would do to sleep in?? But, like you said, if you're done, you're done! Costco is a lot of fun; we let our membership go, and now we can no longer shop there...hmm maybe we'll get one again. You've got me thinking about it:)

Phoebe said...

Nancy, take whatever you would spend on a gift for me and give it to the charity of your choice. I'm giving $$$ to Katrina, etc. victims and for earthquake relief in Pakistan in the name of all our family members. Token items from the store will probably be forthcoming, but, even though as a retailer I shouldn't be saying this, there's too much need right now to spend the money on shopping.

author said...

I have a great recipe for a whipped yam topping which includes brown sugar and pecans. Let me know if you are interested.

I need to make a menu decision
for us too. Jan has to work Thanksgiving day, so we will have ours on Wednesday. The kids will go to their Dad's and grandparents on Thanksgiving.

I enjoy waking before everyone else and having some quiet time.
Now, that said, if they sleep too long I just think they are lazy cusses... LOL

Playground In My Mind said...

I loved this post. So much fun. I start Christmas shopping in July. I hit the summer sales and invariably, after all the gifts are opened and the tree is put away, I find another "stash" that was meant for gift giving. I love this time of year.
Good luck on being done with your shopping and wrapping everything by Turkey day:) I would miss the fun of wrapping during December;) Renee

for_the_lonely said...

Wow...I don't think that we have ever saved $82.00 EVER with groceries..even with double coupon days! LOL that is great!

Since Jenn works at a turkey plant, the LAST thing she wants to eat for Thanksgiving is turkey! LOL I think that maybe we'll do a seafood dinner..like shrimp scampi, etc...sounds yummy!

Christmas presents...I only have a few people more to shop for..including Jennifer..what the heck do you buy for someone that has everything ( my grandpa)? LOL

Have a great Sunday!

Love,
Sarah

BonnyT said...

49 degrees and it's "freezing"?? Hmm...

Well, since you're now hanging out with (cyberly only,of course) a couple of weathered Canuckies (Heidi and moi), we'll have to teach you that until the mercury dips below 0, then it's still "really nice out"....

;) right Heidi?

zbjernak said...

ours is not the tyre...

here...they said

pick 1 object in front ( a tree, signboard)... when the car in front of you pass by it... start counting...

1, 2, 3, 4 before you reach the object... then u r in safe distant