Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Phishing via US Mail

I received a bill in the mail over the weekend that set me off. I am not sure if I should call Time Magazine and talk to one of the operators there, as if that would get me anywhere, or let the post office know that I received what I believe to be a blatant attempt at getting financial information from me, by fraudulent means.

The bill looks official. Similar to the phishing bills I have received through emails. I once received one from a fake AOL, which asked for me to fill in my name, credit card numbers, ATM numbers, pins, mother's maiden name, social security number, and of course the one thing that AOL says it will never ask for....My password. I didn't fall for this, but I suspect a pretty large percentage of people do fill out this kind of thing and end up being victims of identity theft, or credit card fraud. If they send out enough, they are bound to get some hits.

The bill I received this weekend was called an INVOICE at the top of the bill, telling me I owed $52.08 for 56 issues of Time Magazine. Pretty cheap, in my opinion. The bottom of the bill was headed with DEMAND FOR DELINQUENT PAYMENT. Here is what it said;

Dear Ms Epstein:
PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS REQUEST FOR YOUR OVERDUE BALANCE.

We have spent months trying to collect the amount you owe regarding your TIME subscription. Your outstanding debt totals $52.08. Send your OVERDUE BALANCE with the INVOICE no later than 11/12/05.

If your bill is in error YOU MUST CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY AT 1-800-BLABLAH.

Otherwise, return your INVOICE with the TOTAL AMOUNT DUE today.


I have never heard of a business that writes, we have spent months trying to collect the amount, et al. I knew it was bogus. Not only because of that sentence, but because I let our subscription to Time expire about six months ago. We simply had no time to read it every week.

I called the 800 number and put in the account number on the INVOICE and of course it couldn't recognize the number and I was prompted to put in the credit card number I had used to originally subscribed to the magazine! Like that was going to happen!

I waited for an operator to assist me for about four minutes. A man comes on and asks my account number. He tells me that I am delinquent and I need to pay the bill. I told him I have not received the magazine in about six months. He told me it was in June. Okay, five months then. I asked him why I was receiving a bill at all. He told me that I was signed up for auto renewal. I told him if I was signed up for auto renewal, then it would have automatically done so, with my credit card. He asked me to hold on. He comes back on the line and asks me what I would like him to do. I told him to cancel my supposed subscription immediately. He told me he would and told me if I got another INVOICE, to disregard it!

So, I have this bogus bill. I suppose I could attempt to contact somebody higher up than an operator at Time to let them know this is going on. I also suppose they already know. I could contact the USPS and tell them that I was sent a bogus bill through the mail, which I believe is illegal. I could be wrong. But, I will probably do what I am doing now and just tell you all to be careful and watch out for these kinds of things.

Since we have become so high tech, with pins and credit cards, a new word has come into play. It is called phishing. It is an attempt to get personal information out of us. We should all know by now, what to look for, but just in case, here are a few things to keep in mind.

Never give out your password or pin number to anybody.
Never give out your credit card or ATM numbers to anybody you don't know as reputable.
Make sure you take your copy and that the business does not show all the numbers on even their receipt.
Never give out your social security number or mother's maiden name. If you do, make sure you know who you are giving the info to. Like the DMV, when buying a car or house! Not to Joe Schmo off the street, in a phone call, or even on the internet.
Pay attention to the wording. Many of these phishing emails come from other countries. English is not their first language and they make grammatical errors. Look for them.
And finally, always verify. This could save you a lot of major grief down the line.

13 comments:

Dr. Deb said...

I get these all the time because I am a dr and I get all kinds of magazine bills from subsciptions I've NEVER completed. I'd call the BBB and the Attorney General of CAlifornia consumer bureau and file a complaint...oh and let TIME have it too.

~Deb

Cathy said...

Definitely contact the BBB and keep it up. I finally got to the root of one of these in the state of Florida, and I actually got a personl thank you letter from the BBB and the state. Supposedly my claim helped them get the culprit...go after them!!!

maceydoo said...

Glad to hear you were not fooled! You were so smart to ask him, if I am on automatic renewel why was my credit card not used?
Smart woman ROCK!
Lisa

A Flowered Purse said...

I get alot of those phishing scames from ebay. UGH people need to get unbored.
Hugs
Love
Dianna

Heidi said...

100% make a complaint...Oh this would put me on such a mission...In situations like this I get so determined until it's completed or I feel like I did enough...is this even making sense..lol

for_the_lonely said...

I have received bills in the mail like this as well. Bills for magazines that I only wanted a free offer, and then immediately cancelled with no obligation.

Within the last month, I have been bombarded with fake e-mails from eBay and PayPal...they both stated that someone had tried to get into my account, and that I had a certain time and deadline to change the password, and update checking information, or else my account would be closed. I hate to say it, but I fell for it the first time. Then, I got worried, and e-mailed eBay and Paypal. I received a quick response telling me that the info was bogus. I went and changed all of my passwords ....on e-mail accounts, eBay, as well as Paypal...just to be on the safe side. Every e-mail that I receive is reported as spam, and the company is immediately notified. I hope that they catch the buttheads soon, before anyone is greatly effected by this!

Love,
Sarah

PS I, too, would file a formal complaint. Creating hoaxes and scams through the mail is not only illegal, but is a FEDERAL offense!

CrackerLilo said...

Glad you weren't taken in, honey.

I hate those damn people! *hugs*

author said...

Smart woman you are !
Good for you.
Excellent advise for everyone
thanks !

Jaded said...

BBB definitely! And I've been getting the eBay and PayPal scams alot lately, as well as AOL scams. I'm always amazed that people who would go to such great lengths to create an official looking document from an already existing company can't just put their abilities to good use and get a freakin job. Sheesh.

BonnyT said...

Go Nance...this kind of stuff burns my ass.

I once received one that said if I didn't call in 24 hours, I would be summoned to go to court within 48 hours.

That was last November. The summons-boy must have gotten lost.

Good tips, Nance.

TheMommason said...

Hey This is actually a long time scam and Publishers Clearing house lost a big class action lawsuit because of it. They send what is a bill for a subscription but it is actually an attempt to get you to subscribe. Oh and yes it is illegal it is called mail fraud and is punishable by a $5,000 - $10,000 fine PER incident. Remember the Firm and how Tom (before he went insaine) Cruise nailed the Firm with like 1 million cases of Mail Fraud because of the over billing of clients being sent through the mail instead of givign the Feds what they really wanted.

Call Time and ask for the Vice President of Legal then expline to them the fact that you find this very distrubing and they have two options correct the way they do business or deal with the Postal inspectors. Have them send a free subscription to all the units deployed oveseas as peniance ;-)

for_the_lonely said...

Hey Nancy...just sending you love and hugs and happy weekend wishes!

Love ya,
Sarah

Clandestine said...

how the heck did you know it was fake?!?!