Monday, September 26, 2005

Busy Bee

I have been a very busy bee today and tonight. I have been doing things that needed to be done for months! Like cleaning clutter piles. Three very heavy brown bags have gone to the paper recycling bin. One to go, but I will wait til it is light out in the morning. Raccoons like to pop up and I don't like that very much.

I am amazed at the amounts of junk that come to our house. I am sure yours as well! I threw away so much crap. I try to throw out the junk mail before it comes into the house. But I have had piles of junk mail and other paperwork that needed to be filed just piling up. When that pile got to high, I started a new one...It is very cleansing to do this...I cannot remember the last time I saw the end of my kitchen counter.

We gave our expresso maker to my stepdaughter's husband to use in his office and I thought how nice it would be to have the extra counter space. Boy, that was a joke! I just filled it with more piles....

I put things where they actually belong too. Not just dumping them into my clean garage. Well semi-clean. I need to get to a few things that are misplaced, put away and I don't ever want to clean it out again! That took two solid days. I like walking thru it when it is clean and not in a path that we made by pushing everything to the side. And I like to see the top of my pool table without any clothes on it!

I did little things like voting absentee and it is ready to mail. I registered Katharine's computer with the added warranty that was purchased when she got it on July 30th!!! That didn't take long. But it was just another thing to do.

A friend gave me a bouquet of lavender that she got for me near Monterey this past summer. She said when she got it, the bouquet was very purple. It is may be less purple, but it is beautiful, very fragrant and my favorite smell. I got it three days ago and just put it into a vase tonight. Zoe took the pieces that fell onto the table for her room. Not too much, just enough to make her room smell like lavender.

It is the little things that take up so much time. Paying bills, having the correct tool to repair the towel holder that fell down again, reading emails from troops that want to do booth sales, and actually saving the email, putting it in a file and writing the information in a notebook I have. Quickly perusing magazines and tossing them or adding them to the basket for future reading! Returning phone calls. Adding times and events to my calendar. Finding out that we are out of snacks again, and I just went to the store yesterday. Which means I will have to go tomorrow for lunches on Wednesday. I might order online later tonight though. It is very convenient. If they don't screw up the order, that is. All easy enough stuff to do, just time consuming.

But what a difference. When the kitchen looks good and is uncluttered, it makes me what to spend more time in there and actually enjoy cooking. I detest thinking about what to prepare for dinner nightly. It is not easy to prepare something all four of us like. In which case, I add something for whomever it is that doesn't like what I am making that night. I am a short order cook basically. Even breakfasts are short order. Eggs over easy, scrambled, omelets, poached. Pancakes usually do pretty well. On school mornings, it is cereal, fruit, bagel or a muffin. Something fast. The girls have to be to school by 7:30.

Anyhow, that is all for now. Just feeling better about doing some stuff on my to do list! It will never end, but at least I can chip away at it and make it shorter.

9 comments:

zbjernak said...

are you a full-time mom?
or u do work?
coz occasionally i do read abt ur work.....and not forgeting your sun-deck office!

but full-time mom has the toughestjob...read an entry from 'musings of a mommy' and was shocked at the packed schedule she has...

talking abt rubbish...i m a rubbish collector....i had my primary year one text book until university text books with me... i m known as the "antique collector" ahhahahahah

i just dont like to throw things away

Carie said...

I need to do that as well...everything seems to goto my room lol...and the garage is a sad sorry state...maybe I will go do it when the weather turns again, not fun in the rain...sad thing is it stops raining and goes to 90 degrees plus and only 80 when its raining so its muggy and I am just making excuses lol...I will do it tomorrow after Ashley gets home

Dr. Deb said...

Nancy,
So glad you are feeling better. I thought uncluttered counterspace was an urban legend!

Take care,
Deb

Blogzie said...

I'm so jealous...

But you have inspired me to take action.

The contents of my kitchen counter always end up on the office floor when someone stops by.

Paying bills is like a scavenger hunt.

BonnyT said...

We must be on the same road, Nance...we spent all of Sunday going through the basement (gasp!)...

The back of the van was COMPLETELY full with stuff for charity...it will be another van-load to go to the dump...

A Flowered Purse said...

LOL thats what fly lady calls hot spots! i have several of those where stuff just accumulates!
So glad you got it all clean, it is a nice feeling to declutter!
Have a great week
Love
di

Heidi said...

Good for you Nancy! It takes my pms energy spurt to " clean up my clutter" only if I'm in the mood..Unfort that doesn't happen very often. :X

Karen said...

well now that it is getting cool enough to think about digging out the garage I am actually looking forward to it !
I hate to clean but I do love to purge and this house has become Clutter City USA.
this weekend will be the start of it. YAY !
hugs,
Karen

for_the_lonely said...

It IS such a wonderful feeling when you can clean the clutter. I did that the other day, with our magazines. I was suprised when a huge Target bag was full of magazines to chunk into the trash!!! Clutter free is the way to be!

Love,
Sarah