Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Hot Hot Hot

Even the birds are thirsty!


Somebody send me a breeze please! Man, it is so freaking hot here today. Out of the blue, we get our hotter then, well, HOT fall weather. Santa Ana's are blowing somewhere, but not here. Even a hot Santa Ana is better than no breeze at all.

Fire season is really here when the Santa Ana's get here. In October 1993, about four hundred homes were destroyed here in Laguna Beach. We didn't move here until 1997, but were close enough to see the flames and get ash all over our house and in the pool. Although, we did have and air conditioner then. It was horrible for the homeowners and city though. Many sold their lots and people bought them up and put huge concrete style houses up. Many modern homes, that personally, I dislike. I prefer older wooden homes or a different siding. Cape Cod, Bungalows, Victorian, Colonial styles. Although if a fire happens in the canyon below us, I know I would wish I lived in one of the concrete houses. Let's hope that doesn't happen here in our eucalyptus grove. Euc's explode and have a lot of oil in them.

I wonder sometimes what I would take. I wonder if I should have it all ready in one area if I did have to run like hell. I know the baby books, but we have albums and albums and boxes of photos from the last fifteen years. I suppose having those in a place in the garage would not be such a bad thing. Right now they are scattered about the house. I would definitely get the cat and dog first, put them in cages in the car and then fill it up. I think I would take some of the art work for sure. Clothes can be replaced, but I could always grab some on the way out, if I had the time.

I think it is a good idea to get a video of the whole house and the contents. I wanted to start a business doing just that, and never did. I believe that there is enough money in this town for people to pay for somebody to tape for them. I know people have recorders, but how many of us actually do it? Film all the jewelry, artwork, appliances, upgrades to the house. The outside with the $60,000 landscape. Just about everything of value frankly.

I think it would be handy to keep all the receipts from the remodel that we did when we bought this house eight years ago too. That is all in one file. And we each have a personal file with various documents & passports in them. They should be near the photos to grab quickly.

Last week we had thunder and lightening. This week hot dry weather. Typical for this time of year though.

Okay, that is all I have time for. Time for this mom to pick up a couple of kids from Chorus. The other, who is at reheasal will not be done til I get back up the hill guaranteed!

Update...It got under 90 degrees last night after 11:00. It is 82 degrees at six this morning! Although the Santa Ana's are not supposed to blow like they did inland yesterday. But, it is still going to be a hot day and the sun just came up! UGH...

I am jealous of all of you who have a real colorful fall....And the cool temps we had earlier in the year, when you were all sweltering.

A very hot sunrise

8 comments:

Carie said...

we have the whole video of our home just in case and I have all my pictures and special things in a big box that is in my room easily accesable...I have tried to think ahead, but its hard, I mean everything is special...I also bough cages for all of my animals except my big dog cause he just jumps into the car like a good boy...I hope you or anyone else ever has to go through a fire...

and I hope you get a breeze soon...and I love your pics

Dr. Deb said...

Nancy,

I love California and when I see your pictures it reminds me why. Sorry for the breeze-less weather though. I think it'd be great to tape all the precious material things we have, but you're right. Who does this?

~Deb

Just Jan said...

think I have your breeze over here today....it's only 52ยบ right now with a high wind advisory..up to 65mph and we have some rain with it. Yep..it's fall in ohio...hehehe.

A Flowered Purse said...

OMG the pic of that sunrise was beautiful! even if hot what a way to wake up to something as beautiful as that!
I wont tell you its 54 here right now LOL
Hugs and stay cool
Love
Dianna

Jaded said...

It's been so hot all summer here. Today a cold front is coming through so tomorrow will be about 70. By Saturday, back up to 80, which is well above average. Still feels like summer here, and not at all like fall...and fall is my absolute favorite season.

Sorry I've been so out of touch. It's been an busy week and a half here. UGH!!

Heidi said...

Nancy...I would love to send you some of our " Canadian Breeze" to cool things off....My electricty has gone off 3 times already today , winds will increase to 70 this evening..Crazy weather indeed.

zbjernak said...

nothing to compare with the heat ehre we are havinf 365days a year....
ahhahahaha...

taling about on emergency time...
i think i m not organized...
i love picture..but then i dont group them together..
i have priceless stamp collection, first day cover...memorial stamp...money collection...coins collection...my certs.... all of them...are at different aprt of the house..

purposely keep them seprately so that if there is a break in...i would not lost all... hahahhahahah

well...of course....wish and pray non of us will have tog o through fire ever..

Phoebe said...

Katrina has you thinking about losing it all. Just remember that stuff is just stuff. Yeah, we'd all hate to lose the photos or some family item filled with sentiment (personally I don't have many items worth a lot of money), but if you grab the kids, Grumpy and the pets and get away safely in an emergency, you've got it made. That's the 9/11 message. Oy. Can't we post on cheerier topics?