Thursday, September 08, 2005

Update on Back and Grocer

Spent the day in the ER. Back pain and abdominal pain scared me enough to go! I thought it could be a kidney infection or something easily cured with an antibiotic...It was the worst. The nurse had the worst attitude I have ever seen. The doctor was not very comforting. First they took blood and gave me an IV. Gave me pain med called Diloted (sp?) and it gave me a horrible headache as it began to work. Felt like my head was in a vice. The headache started to go away and the pain subsided. But, I think it was an allergic reaction. After I am nice and mellow, they want me to pee in a cup. No assistance to or from the bathroom, I could have easily fallen. They wanted to make sure I was not preggers...

I get back in the room and somebody came to take me for a catscan. I told him they were supposed to make sure I was not pregnant first. He told me they did that. I told him I just brought in the cup...He said they checked thru my blood. So, that was good news...Holding my breath four times til I thought I would explode was no fun during the scan though.

I get back to my room, and I have a drug addict room mate in next to me behind the curtain. Coughing up who knows what. Finally three hours of listening to him, in an unairconditioned room, with the sides up so I could not move, the pain med had worn off and I wanted to scream. I was so hot and in so much pain and nobody came to see me once. The doctor came in to talk to him and finally I got her attention. I had been there since 9AM and it was 1:45. I asked if I could go. She said the radiologist was looking over my catscan again because he thought I may have a kidney stone...She promised to come back in ten minutes. She came back in thirty. Told me that there is a cyst on my right ovary and that the pain was from Siaticia (sp?) and radiating around to the front. Finally gives me prescriptions for meds and leaves. I was crying when trying to get out of bed by myself and get dressed. The nurse came in and I asked for some water. None had been offered all day. She gives me lukewarm tapwater. I took a sip and put it down. Walked out and waited for my very kind neighbor to come pick me up. Dropped of the script, picked up Zoe and came home.

Just a horrible day, still in pain. The doctor told me to follow up with my doctor or one she suggested. I disliked her so much that I would never use somebody she recommended. I told her I had taken Vicodin three times and mentioned six pills and she thought she caught me in a lie...After talking to the guy next door I suppose I can somewhat understand where she was coming from. But, I told her I took two pills three times and stopped. I felt like the Vicodin was masking the pain. She said that is what it is supposed to do and I should have kept taking it...I got no points for putting ice on my back for days and using meds wisely. Instead she made me feel bad for coming there in the first place!

I just got a call from Vons.com and they guy said he had my food from yesterday...I asked how that happened and he said they filled my order and were bringing it to me...Good news since I had not made it to the store today. Don't know why this happened, but I will be glad to get the groceries I had ordered! Dinner tonight, yeah....

10 comments:

Heidi said...

{{{{{{ Nancy}}}}}}} omg what a day!

I'm sorry u were in such pain...I hope your feeling a little better this evening.

Just Jan said...

Nancy, I'll be sure to "whisper" an extra prayer for you tonight. I hope to hear a good report as soon as you follow up with your physician. Hospital staff members can be so heartless at times. To their defense I guess you can get that way from the thousands of people in a days time and dealing with the ones that "waste" their time. Guess after saying that, that sounds like a pretty stupid excuse. Hope you get treatment soon and have a speedy recovery. Keep us updated please.

good news about your grocery order atleast.

zbjernak said...

nancy...so sorry to hear that...
a cyst... you had better treat it as soon as possible...dont drag..or else it willg et worse...sorry to scare you... but do take care of yourself

thought that only the hospital in malaysia are bad...guess bad hospital staff are just everywhere...including the states and UK...

anyhow...glad everything is over...and hings are picking up...

cheers and my best wihses goes to u

Anne said...

sorry to hear you are ailing, nancy. that sucks.

for_the_lonely said...

Good heavens! I should read this before I e-mail you and ask how your day was! I can't believe that they treated you the way they did in the ER..how horrible!!! I sure hope that you get to feeling a heck of a lot better..soon!!! So glad that Vons delivered your groceries...finally!

Love you,
Sarah

Cindy said...

I'm sorry that you were in so much pain, and that you were treated like a dog in the emergency room. Things like that should NOT happen, EVER.

Jaded said...

Oh my God, Nancy...I am so sorry you've had to go through this. I so hate to hear hospital horror stories. I won't share mine, because this isn't about me. One day I will.

Right now I hope that you can go see your family doctor and find some relief. If it truly is the sciatica, a chiropractor can help. But a cyst on the ovary can sometimes be so painful as to mimic the pain felt in apendicitis, especially if it ruptures, or if it's infected. (as someone with polycystic ovaries, I say this from personal experience) Sometimes they cause no pain at all. I would just have a doctor take a look at the tests to make sure he or she comes up with the same diagnosis. When you have that much pain, there's a reason, and while the cause really could be something rather benign, you need to make sure the diagnosis is accurate... just in case. You will be in my toughts and prayers.

Dr. Deb said...

A cyst on the ovary can be VERY painful until it resolves on its own via rupture, etc. Add to that sciatica pain, holy moly, you are one hurting puppy. Rest and the meds should will help. So make sure all your family members take care of you and that grumpy old man, isn't grumpy!

Carie said...

I absolutely hate the hospital...I am so so sorry you had to go through all that...those people are just horrible in there...

I had kidney stones (9th attack) and I told them (as I always do) that its very very hard to give me an IV as due to my other medical problems I am severely dyhydrated all the darn time and my veins collapse...they proceded to stab me 14 times...I was screaming in pain...I was begging Ken to take me home...he told them they couldn't touch me anymore...the pain was horrible and I was mad and scared and just blah, when she came at me with another needle my trucker language was flying as I explained where she could put it and how I would help...another doc came in and gave me4 shots in my butt for pain lol and Ken rushed me out of there to a different hospital...

I hate when I hear that others get treated like that as well, I know they have a hard job and are taken for granted, I do understand, my mom was a nurse for 20 years, but I did nothing wrong and I even tried to be helpful explaining docs always have to give me a IV in my feet....

I will be thinking of you and sending you gentle hugs

author said...

I ditto everyone's horror at what you endured.
Filing a complaint is an option, once you are feeling better.

Hope that is soon.