Wednesday, October 19, 2005

He's home, cell phones, solicitors

I picked up David this afternoon. He is better, but still weak from all the morphine and pain meds. It is nice to have him home. We missed him very much.

I spent a lot of time on the road today and I want to do a survey of how many people have cell phones glued to their ear. Not just anywhere, but at one corner in particular. I watched five or so cars round this corner with phones attached to their heads and not paying one bit of attention to stop at the freaking stop sign!

I was behind a woman who was changing lanes without enough room and just plain not paying any attention to the road. Of course I knew she had a cell phone before I noticed, just because of the way she was driving. David actually said he would like to give her a piece of his mind...Didn't happen.

I think we need to stop this insane cell phone and driving thing. People pay no attention to who's turn it is to go, they cannot slam on the brakes in time for pedestrians, especially in a school zone, where kids dart out from behind parked cars! What will it take for people to put down the damn phone and drive?

I know I have used the phone in the car, with the headset, but still, I need to be concentrating on what can happen and be prepared to react. Not to what is being said to me. I can get the information another time. Nothing critical, if it were, I would pull to the side of the road where it was safe. But it truly is not safe, cuz some asshole will be more involved in their conversation than the car stopped on the side of the road and slam into me. I am convinced that this happens on a daily basis.

Just messing with the radio or navigation system is not even okay anymore. You have to drive defensively against cell phone drivers. It is a very bad trend and I would vote to make it illegal to drive and talk on a cell, especially a hand held. I have seen people holding a phone, smoking a cigarette, and making a turn all at the same time and they probably drove a stick! All with two hands. Unbelievable to me. Is our time so valuable that we must talk while driving? What did we do for the last hundred years without cell phones...Only land lines. At home. No caller ID. No call waiting. How did we do it? We did just fine and all the new tech is great, so, wait til you get home to have that conversation or stay off the roads!

Even in my doctor's office this morning, a woman was talking very loudly to somebody about a problem, and it should not have been discussed in front of me. People use their wait time at a doctor's office for phone calls. Fine, just move it outside! I don't need to hear their personal crap. Same goes for restaurants. How many times have you seen a couple having dinner and each are talking to somebody else, on their phones? Or the all important person who wants all to hear how important they are by taking calls? Oh, so popular! Give me a break!

Speaking of phone calls. I received one last night. It sounded like a real person. This person worked for something call DOV. I have never been tricked by a recorded message before but this one got me for a minute. They asked if I have kids. I said, NO. Thinking they would hang up. Then I was told, OK then, are you tired of all the violence and sex in movies these days? I said, No. Then it said, wouldn't you like to see more family values in movies and as he is saying this I was thinking that there are a lot more family movies these days. Then I thought, this guy is not stopping...I asked, are you a real person???? You are not a real person, you are a machine, and I have to admit a pretty good one at that. Then I hung up. Zoe was laughing at me. She thought it was funny that I was talking back to the machine...It was pretty funny. The message started out by saying it wasn't a solicitation...Bullshit. So, I got the number off caller ID and went to the web site and placed a complaint against the number. I felt better!

It is rare for solicitors to get thru these days. When they do, I know they are reading from a script. I like to ask them a question and it throws them off. Some even restart the whole script from the beginning...The kids have gotten in on this and love to do it too. Sometimes when they ask for me, I tell them that I am the babysitter and Nancy isn't here. They ask what would be a good time to call her back? I tell them, how would I know!

15 comments:

Anne said...

i am so glad your husband is home, and i hope he feels better from all of this really soon. im also sorry for all you've had to contend with lately. you are one tough cookie.

i am totally in agreement about cell phones. i gave mine up about 3 years ago now. i keep planning to get another one, for emergencies, but i guess that subconsciouly i find reasons not to. my college kid definitely has one, and the 13 year old will probably need one in a few more years. but i see them as a road hazard, and just another device that distracts us humans from real life far too much. and also, i am a receptionist for a living. phones=blech!!!

take good care of yourself, nancy.
thanks for visiting!

Carie said...

I am so with you on the cell phone thing...I have talked on my cell while driving, only to say hey I am driving and hang up (few people call me lol) but where I live everyone does it and there are wrecks all the time, especially at my corner, and the police man yesterday after on accident said 80% are due to cell phones lol its crazy...

Ken yells at people who drive crazy...only with the windows up and hand gextures lol he cracks me up, I bet the people drive worse afterwards trying to escape the crazy man ;o)

I am also very glad your husband is home and all is ok...I hate being in the hospital...I will keep you in my thoughts

EngLee said...

I'll do the same as well. "I AM DRIVING!" and hang up. I guess that's the best thing to do rather than driving dangerously.

zbjernak said...

englee-> to do tht..u still need to answer the phone..so still same..


anyway..in malaysia...it is illegal to hold the phone and talk to it while driving....
handsfree device is ok..but not the phone...
holding a handphone without calling is also an offence...

so ehehhe...englee... u r busted.

though it is officially illegal... but people still talk while driving...tht including me.. sometime i even use my phone to text messages to my fren

hehehehe....dangerous..yes

for_the_lonely said...

That annoys me to no end as well. I used to have a friend that would drive while talking on the phone..we actually got into arguments over it! Go figure!

I am glad that David is home and all is well. Take care of yourself!

Love,
Sarah

Cindy said...

I always mess with phone solicitors. It really is kind of fun.

author said...

glad the hubby is home !
You make him be good now...
I am one to talk, I do too much too soon too.

I agree on the cell phone issue.
I thought some laws had been
passed in CA ? not so I guess.
Not in GA either,
I see the same stuff.
It's very scary.

Just Jan said...

Glad to see Hubby is home. Don't let him be doing too much. (they love to be babied now and then).

I hate phone soliciting. I hang up or generally just never answer since I do have caller ID.

Thanks for all the email and support.

lightfeather said...

I am so glad your husband is doing better! Yeah!!!

I love the convenience of the cell phone and how I am able to communicate with my kiddo so much more frequently than I could with my family when I was in college, but you know? They are a hinderance too...lots of talk, talk, talking go on in this world!

Dr. Deb said...

So glad GOM is home. What an ordeal.

I agree that the cell phone thing is way outta control. It is against the law here where I live, but people still drive like maniacs with the phone out.

I have a cell phone but never use it. I should go with a prepaid one because I'm paying for not even using it now. How silly!

Send regards to GOM that I wish him well.
~Deb

Heidi said...

I'm glad David is home..I hope he rests and taks it easy this weekend.


I use prepaid for my cell..And only use for emerg and checking messages < not while driving>.

Jaded said...

Glad the hub is home, safe and sound!

NJ has a law against talking on a hand-held cell phone while driving BUT they can't pull you over for it. It has to be another reason that pulls you over, but generally the cops say you had some moving violation due to the cell phone. It's helped, but not enough. I hardly ever turn mine on, and the only people who have the number are my hub, my parents and my sister. I put it on the babysitter list of emergency numbers too. I gave up my regular cell phone for a pre-paid one from T-Mobile. I figured out I was paying 41 bucks a month for something like 3500 minutes, and I never used more than 60 minutes a month in the 3 years I had it. I hate them, but they're good to have when you're away from home in case of an emergency.

maceydoo said...

Good News about your hubby! I hope his recovery will go smoothly now and he takes it easy!!!!!

Hand held cells are illegal to drive with here in my part of the world. Hand sets worn or hands free is what they call them are legal, but I still see people using their phones and driving ALL the time! It is a hefty fine if you get caught though...
Have a great weekend!
Lisa

A Flowered Purse said...

I am happy to hear that he is home!!
LOL On the cell phone drivers, it is so true, I have been almost hit by a many. I have done it a couple of times but never ever make it a habit
Love
dianna

Karen said...

if my cell phone rings while I am driving I don't answer it--I pull off the road into a parking lot and call the person back.

glad your hubby is doing better:)
tell him to take it easy so he can heal.

hugs,
Karen