Monday, October 03, 2005

There's gonna be a fight!

I was sitting here freezing reading blogs. Thinking how pitch black it is at 6:00. Now 6:15 and the sky is lightening a bit. And somebody starts up a freaking saw!!! I then hear a woman yell, "turn it off, it is only 6:00!" Finally somebody other that myself, is getting pissed about the contractors or homeowners who begin working so damn early! He is still sawing. She is probably getting her robe on and calling the cops! Yippee!

There were workers til about 8:00 Friday night at the house next door. Still not a permit in site. He has done about everything he can do, I would think. Every day, a saw, hammering, some kind of annoying noise coming from the house. Two guys with table saws right below me for the last two weeks. I cannot wait until he rebuilds the deck. He already jackhammered out all the concrete around the house and has since had the truck up here to fill it all back up and then some.

You know that is where the expression the whole nine yards comes from.....A cement truck can carry nine yards of concrete. At least most can. Coming up here, they can carry about half that amount to get up the hill. I make it a practice not to be behind one coming up the hill. It is a general practice really, I don't want a plop of concrete on the hood of my car! As long as those trucks are spinning, stay away.

Which brings me to my next point. We live on a private road. No street sweepers, no dog catchers, no street lights. I love that it is dark up here and therefore no light pollution. About two years ago a neighbor on the street below asked for money from all the homeowners to asphalt the road. We never use that road, but we paid anyhow. It used to be part dirt and rock and then asphalt. It just made sense to make it look nice for the neighborhood. About a year ago, somebody wanted to redo our other street, which is the entrance to our driveway. In front of our house the asphalt looked fine. But there was a big dip at the beginning of the street. We did agree to help pay and get that taken care of. The only two houses that were not done were ours and our neighbors, on the other side. Not the remodel dude. Now, with all the heavy trucks and trash trucks every other day replace the two dumpsters he has had for over a month, we have pot holes ourselves. We have to do something about that pretty soon. Really sucks to pay for the upkeep on the street and not have ours done, but it didn't need it then. He should have to pay for it, in my opinion. If he were putting up a new home, he would be required by the city to asphalt about three houses worth, in both directions. Of course, that person would have to have a permit and this dude has not had one inspection nor permit. So, chances of him fixing the street....Slim and slimmer!

A previous mayor lived across the street from us. He has since gotten a divorce, now only his ex and their daughter live there. Now we have the most recent mayor living up here. Just moved in last week. The hub met her at a Rotary Club luncheon the other day and mentioned this is a bone yard for ex mayors. Apparently she gave him a funny look and he told her he was not talking about her!

The other day we were coming home and a car was stopped on the hill before our street. Just stopped. He was signaling with his hand for us to go around. I could not go around on a blind hill. I could have been nailed by an oncoming car! So, I slipped onto the right of this guy and hub thought I was going to tell them off. I nicely explained to the man and his son, why I could not pass on the left into oncoming blind traffic....They understood and it was a good lesson for the kid who was learning to drive a stick on the hill! His father told us that he was just learning to drive. I commended him on doing it on a less traveled road, at least on a Sunday. Weekdays are full of cars coming up to the elementary school. And, I taught the new driver a very important lesson. We have lots of hills and it is good that he is learning to drive them, especially with a stick shift. Funny thing was that the next day, hub meets the father. Apparently they have offices in the same building in town. The guy remembers hub, hub didn't remember him until he mentioned the new driver. This man invited him to the Rotary Club meeting, trying to recruit him. But, I think hub did have fun and met some interesting people as well. Funny how things turn out sometimes!

Oh yeah, the guy has stopped sawing and I don't see any cops. I guess he heard the lady yell at him. So, I guess there is not going to be a fight!

9 comments:

Cathy said...

people are stupid. i live on a similar type of road; very quiet. last week i heard a god awful noise and stopped what i was doing; a trumpet; the kid that lives about 2km away is taking trumpet lessons. good for him, but will i survive?
p.s. found you on Heidi's site.

Grumpy Old Man said...

Did I tell you I was taking up the bagpipe?

for_the_lonely said...

Saw at 6 am?!?!?! What ever happened to roosters? LOL Hope that you are having a great day!

Love,
Sarah

PS If hubby is taking up the bagpipes, does that mean that he will be daunting an Irish skirt as well? LOL

Dr. Deb said...

Nancy,

I would be so steamed if at 6am ANYTHING other than the birds chirping was going on. I don't get how people think. I think your hubby taking up bagpipes is a fabulous solution!!!

~Deb

zbjernak said...

well...it must be hard for the people who renovate the house to come up the hill though...

but starting work at 6 is just too much..
i thought there were this rulling that jobs must start at about 8, and stop at evening and sunday shall not have any renovation job done?

wow...u indeed live in a very RICH neighbourhood...with the mayor as your neighbour..how cool...
but with the mayor in, isnt it easier to complain abt the nuisance?

Cindy said...

What a drag, that kind of noise, so early in the morning.

Karen said...

I am an early bird even on the weekends but I am considerate of people and do not start any noisy projects until 10am.
I find quieter things to do until it is later in the morning.
hope the neighbor is done with his remodel stuff soon.
hugs,
Karen

A Flowered Purse said...

using a saw at 6 am omg I would be so livid!!!
Id love to live on a quiet road! Thats good everyone chips in to ashphalt it and such.
Awesome
Hugs
Love
dianna

Just Jan said...

I know I would have marched my sleepy a** all the way over to the contruction site to give them a piece of my mind...how inconsiderate can they be just to make a $1....sheesh.