Saturday, October 15, 2005

The Internet and The Sound of Music

Yesterday the internet was down and I checked all the wires and rebooted several times, before I called the cable company. There was an outage in our area and technicians had been dispatched. I am fully addicted to the internet! I admit it. But, it has also become a huge source of where I get my information necessary to schedule on my calendar. I finally got out the dreaded phone line and was able to check mail and make a couple of comments! I was kicked off line several times! I called the cable company in the afternoon and got the same message. Then the phone was dead as well as the TV. All through cable! May need to rethink that if it becomes a habit. Frankly, it has not happened to this extent before. We had DSL a couple of times and the first company went belly up and we were stuck with none. After several months, we relinquished the line, waited more than a week and started with Verizon. It was a disaster. Every night it would go down for hours. Finally I call to cancel it, to once again relinquish the line and wait the week again. I was told that we were too far from the routing station and never should have been sold DSL from Verizon and we were lucky it worked at all! HA, lucky? Cable has been great since they got the kinks out from when we first had it, when it was new! Funny thing was they must have had several calls, cuz the Angel game was on.

I was not watching the Angel's get their collective butts kicked last night, or at least that was the last score I heard while they were in the fifth inning. We went to see Katharine/Brigitta in The Sound of Music. Well the rest of the cast as well! They misspelled her name. Not just her first name, but our last name was wrong as well.

The play was so much fun! It was interactive with the audience. We had paper bags with bubbles, a little wine glass, tiny flowers for corsages, an Austrian flag, little flashlights. Items for the wedding and for when the Von Trapps leave at the end of the play. Some people were approached by "nuns" during wine hour before the show. Asked to mini audition, if anybody wanted to be in the play. People got on stage or just did their thing from their seat. The words were projected onto the wall and the whole audience sang along.

I have to say, Katharine was terrific. Well, I don't have to say that, but she was! The child can really act! We had a group of about 15 of us. First row. Katharine was hugged and told how well she did and got a couple of bouquets too. Of course you are probably thinking, I am her mother and the others were friends, but she was good. And the costumes were so cute. Her entrance was walking, while reading a book and bumping into the Captain. And she had a lot more lines than I thought she would.

The smallest child was four. We knew thru rehearsals that there would be some fun with this cutie pie! She delivered some wonderful laughs. During the scene where all the kids were off to bed, the little girl (Gretel) was supposed to put her head down and fall asleep on the stairs. She tried, really hard to do it, her head kept getting close to the stairs and then would sit back up! Finally, after all the loving laughs, she was scooped up and taken upstairs.

The wedding scene cracked us all up. Apparently it was not supposed to be funny! But it was. The priest was chewing gum! And when they exchanged rings, the made the motions, but there were no rings!

Anyhow, it was a blast. The kids were asked during rehearsals to bring in some of their nice clothes to choose from for the play. Katharine took a pile of Cotillion dresses, most too small. I told her to let somebody have them and not to bring them home! She wore one of her Cotillion dresses in the play. A sheer all white dress that she looked so beautiful in.

It is funny, even though it is a small local production, after the show every flocks around the actors and they really feel like stars...My friends and her friends told her how good she was and she got lots of hugs. I wanted everybody to know that she was my daughter and I was very proud of her. But, she belonged to her public! It was great to see after all the weeks of rehearsals.

During the wine hour, a friend of ours, who was actually our Realtor when we bought our home eight years ago, was there. I asked him how it was going selling the 26.5 million dollar estate he has listed. We joked and asked if we could book it for the weekend. He said he had been there for parties and just recently had one for Realtors. Then he told my friend and me that he was having another on November 3rd and he would send me two tickets. My other friend walked up and asked, "tickets to what?" He is sending me three. It is a sunset party, with food and wine. And he said, we get to see Ricky Nelson's estate which is also on the market for 31 million....It is on the beach as well, about a block away! How fun is this going to be? Oh, and our husbands were standing there. My friend's husband said, "oh, I don't want to go anyway." I told him I didn't invite my husband either and we laughed! That little invite was icing on the cake to a very nice night.

The show was very long. It started at 8:00 and lasted til 11:00. Two shows today, one tomorrow and that is it! Then she wants to audition for Narnia. UGH and good for her! Kudos to my darling little actress, Katharine Epstein!

8 comments:

Jaded said...

Yay for Katharine! And Break A Leg for the rest of the performances.

All I've managed so far today is to buy tickets to see Wicked in NY in January. Haven't seen a show on Broadway since April and I'm going through withdrawal. Sheesh.

The rest of the day involves buying paint and lighting fixtures... tomorrow painting commences!

maceydoo said...

Oh that sounds like so much fun! I have gone to one play, Joey and Maria's Wedding where you get to interact with them and what a hoot! I have never gone to one converted to be like that, sounds great!
Did you take any pics?
Lisa

Heidi said...

Congrats to Katherine..Your such a proud mom and you should be. :)

It would have cool to see some video footage..Can that be done since your a computer whiz ;)

A Flowered Purse said...

YAY For Katharine! Did you snap any pics of her? If so i hope you share!
Good luck to her for the rest of the preformances!
Love
dianna

Cindy said...

Nancy,

I'm glad that things went well for Katharine, and that everyone had fun. Can't even remember the last time I went to a play.

author said...

oh I do love love theatre !!
Congrats Katharine !

Karen said...

that sounds like a fantastic evening and BRAVO BRAVO to your little star in the making :)
any pics from the show?
hugs,
Karen

lightfeather said...

Life sounds terrific! The only way to be. So happy for you and for your family!

Love to you,
Lighty