Friday, October 21, 2005

Something I noticed

I saw a new trend that worries me. All the nurses that I saw in the hospital were using Purell on their hands instead of a good old fashioned hand washing.

I didn't see them use the sink and a couple of times I noticed them rubbing their hands as if they were putting on lotion. I even mentioned to one that she must use a lot of lotion due to washing her hands all the time.

Later, when I realized that each and every room had Purell dispensers on the wall, the lotion thing clicked. It was not lotion at all. It was Purell.

I should buy some stock in the company that owns it. But, I am not happy to see nurses or anybody else substitute soap and water with rubbing on an antibacterial product.

In other news...I was asked tonight why I call plastic bags, baggies. Funny thing is I never thought about it before. I explained that when plastic bags were first introduced, the brand was called Baggies. I guess it stuck. Just like all zipper type bags are called Ziploc Bags. Ordinarily, I call things by what they are and not by brand names. Maybe Bandaids is an exception. But Kleenex is called tissue. And spa is called spa, not Jacuzzi. I suppose petroleum jelly is still Vaseline. I actually call pain relievers by their ingredients, like acetaminophen, because I rarely buy the real Tylenol. Ibuprophen, because I rarely by Advil or Motrin. Q-tips, are cotton swabs...Coke is soda pop. So is Pepsi.
You get the drift.

7 comments:

Grumpy Old Man said...

They did wash their hands, too, but not always consistently, and used a lot of latex gloves.

But the Purell thing was new to me.

Dr. Deb said...

I have read that the purell vs hand washing isn't as controversial as first reported. I have to find the source and I'll get it to you. A few news mags have shown this too.

~Deb

Karen said...

I keep a little bottle of purell in my purse for times when hand washing isn't an option. it helps during the cold season while being out and about--shopping etc. I think in a medical setting it should be the old fashioned way--soap, water and gloves.

the whole brand name thing --
I use some of the names too instead of what the product actually is. like baggie, q-tip, saran wrap, ziplock, advil, pop tarts, cool whip, jello, band-aid, vasilene, well you get the picture. it is from growing up with those product brands.
funny how we do that, huh?
hugs,
Karen

Jan said...

I found an article from the CDC about Purell antibacterial and thought I would share it with you.
I use the Purell very often in the ER while in a patients room. I use it before leaving a patients room then when I get to the nursing desk I use soap and water.
It's an alcohol based hand rub.
Here is the article:

http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/pressrel/fs021025.htm

Nancy said...

Thank you for the article Jan!
I am glad that soap and water have not been replaced in hospitals.
It is a good addition to hand washing and gloves for you and for the patients.

A Flowered Purse said...

Yeah I love the Purell things, when we go to the ER i use that religiously! I carry Germ X in my purse too LOL I have even put it on a paper towel to clean a toilet seat with!
I call them baggies also!!
Love
Dianna

Phoebe said...

There are trademarked names that have moved into the language. Brassiere is one! I have to say that I use Xerox as a verb. This drives the Xerox company wild since they want to protect their trademark. They insist you call it "photocopying".

Of course, the British "hoover" the carpet. A friend of mine bought a Dyson vacuum and tells me proudly, "We don't vacuum anymore. We Dyson!"