Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Nervous Wreck

That was me in a nutshell the since Friday. I went for an ultra sound and they found more cysts. Not just in my right ovary, but now my left as well.

They gave me the CA125 test. I asked, the cancer test? I was told yes, just as a precaution. But, they said the ultra sound looked like uncomplicated, run of the mill cysts...Great....

I was told to call a number, put in a code and the results would be there. NOT. I called the office today and the person who answered told me the test was within normal range, but she was not a nurse. Thank You! I said. She told me she would have the nurse practitioner call me this evening. I told her now that I knew that number, she could just leave it on the message and I would be fine with that...Of course, I did mention that I have been a fucking nervous wreck since Friday!

The doctor's office called this evening and told me the test was perfect! I could not be more thrilled.

The CA125 is basically a test to find out how a cancer treatment is working. I emailed Jaded, who was told not to take it, by her brother, a doctor. He told her it had false positives and it basically scared women. This, after I had the test. Then I read everything I could about it and not only was that written, but that IF the markers were high, it could be lung, pancreas, liver, breast, or even ovarian cancer. Oh boy! Great news to carry around for four days!

I have been popping Klonipin and Xanax, like crazy! I was trying to be on an even keel with the girls and the hub, I have been hiding the depths of my fear. So many things ran thru my head, constantly. Not being here to see my girls grow up. No being here for them, when they need me the most. Thinking about finances, what to give to whom. How to tell them. Complete and utter pity for myself, while maintaning a fractional positive attitude.

I don't know how women do this. Or men, who have cancer issues. It is so debilitating to even think of not living long enough to see my kids old and grey. There are so many things left that I have to teach them. So many years left that I need to be here to love them and their father.

Right now, I am just thankful that I will possibly get the chance. My birthday is Saturday and when the girls asked what I wanted, I just wanted to roll up into a ball and cry. I wanted to spare them from having no mother. Nothing and I mean NOTHING matters more. It is the greatest birthday gift I could have. To spend time with them and to see them grow into strong women and possibly have grandchildren. I promise here and now, I will be a wonderful, fun and loving grandmother, if given the chance!

I was looking at bras today, and thought, I might not need these! How awful that feeling was. To not need something for the near future was so sad.

Tomorrow, I get waxed and I get a cut and a color. I cannot tell you how excited I feel to know that I still need to get these things done!

Life is a gift. Live it. Love it. Embrace it. It happens all too fast. I wish for all of us to live to one hundred and be in good health!

UPDATE:
Jaded posted about this today. Her post if full of excellent advice and I hope every woman that reads this, will go to her blog and read what she has to say. It could save a life. The link is on my blog. Jaded&opinionated.blogspot.com.

12 comments:

Heidi said...

"told me the test was perfect!"

Phew!!!!! Nancy, That is great news to hear..I can only imagine what you must have went through waiting and worrying.

I agree..That is the best birthday gift you can have...Enjoy Sat to the fullest. < I'll be back on Sat to wish u a happy one" ;)

Cindy said...

What a relief! I can't stand waiting for test results. Exactly what are they planning to do to get rid of these pests?

Just Jan said...

you had me in tears this morning. I was feeling your pain in waiting for the results and all the thinking going on. I'm so happy for you that they are perfect.

hoping soon you can get some answers as to why you have the cysts and how they will remove them.

your family is blessed to have you.

live is precious and should never be taken for granted.

I went through some of this stress when my mother was diagnosed with colon cancer.

Jaded said...

I'm so relieved that the test was good. You inspired me to post about it on my blog today. Sheesh...I'm all typed out now, lol!

Cathy said...

I can't imagine that whole ordeal. Thank God for the good news.

Cathy said...

I can't imagine that whole ordeal. Thank God for the good news.

A Flowered Purse said...

OMG how freaking scary :( I wouldve been so freaked out like you were! So happy everything is perfect!
Love
Dianna

Playground In My Mind said...

Sigh and a deep breath. Good news! Mine was nothing to worry about. I wasn't even the least bit alarmed until they told me that I would have the results before I left the examination room. Radiologist had to immediately read the tests. All is well.
I understand all the worry and angst. You didn't deserve that. My dr. office has dropped the ball like that before. It is like they take on too many patients and don't have time to give the care that you really need, including a proper "bed-side" manner. It was better when drs. made house calls. they had to deal w/u and not a waiting room full of quotas and billings. Too bad it will never be that way again.
Three cheers for you! Good. Now just enjoy your family and your birthday. Don't look too far into the future. Just look at their faces this moment. Live it. :) God bless you, Renee

Anne said...

thank goodness you are fine and dandy! life is sweet, especially considering the alternative.
your birthday will be really great now, i bet. enjoy.

zbjernak said...

nancy...
my wished are with you...

do take care...

your post really touched me...

everything will be alright...
dont worry too much...

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...
i want to be the first to wish u
coz i will have the saturday before you

for_the_lonely said...

Oh such great news!!!! This post teared me up...and made me realize how wonderfully fragile our lives truly are. You are a blessing, my dear friend..and I cherish you greatly!

Love,
Sarah

author said...

Nancy, I'm so sorry I didn't know all this was going on.
I haven't been able to keep up with reading blogs.
Damn I feel bad for not visiting sooner.
I'm glad the result was good !