Sunday, May 29, 2005

In Other News........

Late night last night. Katharine's friend Daniella spent the night. They are both 12 and very very energetic. I am not sure who talks faster, Katharine or Daniella.

They emerged from Katharine's room about 11:00 last night. After hours of IMing and I don't know what else. They came upstairs where I was lying on the couch in darkness and quiet, catching up on Tivoed shows.

They started their talk and giggle fest. Gotta love 'em. I was not really in the mood to be bothered just then. I indulged them and listened to their stories and got to see all the small purchases they made at the mall. Anything pink for Katharine and anything orange for Daniella.

Finally, they get a drink, brush their teeth and head back downstairs with the movie Mean Girls in their hand. Only to emerge again to get a Rolaid for Daniella.

I see the light go off in Katharine's room and the tv was on, but they were quiet! Yippee. After midnight and now all is quiet and I continue with my Tivo stash.

Thinking the girls will definitely sleep in this morning....Wrong. Up at 7:00. Daniella woke up Katharine to ask what the noise she heard upstairs was. My response would have been, same noise you two made last night. But, Katharine told Daniella that it was Charlie the dog. Charlie was playing and doesn't know he is not a cat, and runs up and over the couch and leaps into the air and lands and the wood floor. The sound downstairs is elephant like.

Anyhow, the girls are up now and Katharine is tired, not accustomed to rising before ten on the weekends. Daniella is full of get up and go.

Hubby makes yummy pancakes for breakfast. Zoe finishes and grabs her computer. "We boring you?" asks hubby. "Yep," says Zoe.

Daniella, who's family has front row Angel tickets for today, doesn't want to go. She calls her mother and tells her so. I am thinking, her mother is going to hate me for telling Daniella she can stay if her mother says so.

I speak to her mother and she tells me that she wants Daniella to go with them, but if she will be miserable, then so will the rest of the family. So, can she stay with us. I say, "Yes, of course."

The girls decide they want to go to the ball park to watch little league. Katharine is weighing Daniella's options with her hands. Front row Angel tickets with professional ball players or little league. Daniella opts for little league.

It is not the game they are going to see.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Go figure!

Anne said...

my 13 year old went to her best pal's house last night. i wonder how much sleep her friend's poor parents have been denied?! oh well, we will get our turn again soon, since those 2 are inseperable! friends mean everything to them at this age~so amazing how it happens in flash, right?

author said...

My kids are pretty good about being quiet when they know we have to work the next day. But when we dont have to work.. all bets are off. Hilary (15) and her friends go IM and bot crazy too.
Stomping and laughing about half the night.

Thanks for the reply on my blog.
I have never and will never bad mouth their father in front of them.
He is taking care of it all
on his own. Sad but true.
I would love it if he was someone they will admire for their lifetime.
I don't think that is what is happening. Only he is to blame.

lightfeather said...

You're right...it's not the game. Smart mommie.

Jaded said...

I hope when mine is that age, she will be a chatterbox, and have her friends sleep over. I'd cherish every moment.

My daughter can't talk. She's got something called apraxia, which basically means that her brain doesn't communicate with her oral/motor muscles so she can't form speech. She does have a few words she can say, but communicates primarily with sign language. There's no way of knowing if she'll ever talk or not, and even if she does, it's a life-long communication disorder. (she's 3 now) I worry about the day she realizes that she's different, and that the other kids will pick on her because of it. For now, though, we just love her and love her and love her.

Thanks for stopping by. Come by anytime!