Monday, May 30, 2005

Resting the Broken (?) Toe

Last night I was making dinner and I got out the Stretch Wrap to nuke something. Somebody had ripped the cardboard container and the whole roll came flying out and landed on my big toe.

For those of you who don't know about Stretch Wrap, it is cellophane, from Costco and comes on a roll with 500 sq ft.

When it landed on my toe, I made loud writhen sounds, and then started crying. I am pretty sure my toe is broken and I will lose the nail.

I didn't go to Doc in the Box, as I know they can do nothing for fractured toes....Been there, done that.

I don't cry much when I get hurt. My husband knows my real pain cry. He was there the second time I broke my ankle. Shattered it and needed pins and and plates. Then the time I shut the Volvo door on my thumb. Had to open the door to get my thumb out. My husband said he knew immediately that I broke it by the way I cried. With two little ones to get in the house, I got to drive myself to Doc in the Box. Yep, broken....Sunday night and he had to find an open pharmacy to get me pain meds once the girls were tucked in.

Last night, I thought I was fine, until the tears started. I hate crying in front of my daughters. I didn't want to scare them and apologized. They asked me why I was apologizing.....

My husband helped me to a chair and got ice for my injury. The three of them kindly finished preparing our dinner.

My husband also said he didn't know that cellophane could be so heavy. Dropped from five feet up and multiply that by 500 sq feet and then think about that again!

Needless to say, I will have my foot up and down for the duration of today at least!

11 comments:

BonnyT said...

All I can say is YOUCH. Things like that are always happening to me....

Hope you're feeling better.

When my daughter hurts her toe, my husband always says to her:

"Uh oh. You have Toe-lio. Guess we have to call the toe-truck"

;) Did that make you feel better?

lightfeather said...

Oh man! Now that's a downer! But an interesting story always makes something like this ever so much more enjoyable somewhere down the road. Once on my way into work I thought I would take the "short cut" up the grassy hill. Wearing a pair of little sandals and carrying my laptop, I didn't realize they had just watered and down I went! Front first! Grass stained, I thought I had only strained my ego a bit. Everyone sort of laughed it off including myself saying that these giant bazoombas of mine broke my fall. Day goes by. Still in pain. Go to the doctor only to find out that BECAUSE of these giant bazoombas of mine, I had caused myself whiplash! Now there's a story!

Hope it makes you laugh! Rest up!

Nancy said...

You both made me laugh! Thanks!

Toe-lio and Bazoombas!

Is it laugh until it hurts, or hurts to make me laugh?

Either way, I laughed!

Anne said...

man, those domestic injuries can be just awful, no doubt about it.and i know that cry-of-pain. i hope it doesn't cause you too much agony, nancy.

i know about those HEAVY-ass volvo doors, because i drive one too. great for safety's sake, but hellish on one's digits!
take good care, and feel better.

Anonymous said...

Luckily we don't have cellophane in the home! Thanks for the reminder that they are a death trap!!

Heidi said...

I call these " maxx moments"...I'm sorry about ur toe..Hope you feel a little better this evening..I was going to say , atleast it's not the winter time where u have to wear boots..But i realized your in California..Sandals and open " toe" ;)

Heidi said...

Ps..Just wanted to thankyou for your suggestion on my blog..Very much appreciated.

Puffer said...

Oucharoos. Thanks for stopping in to my blog. I did it once to my toe and the bone cracked all the way down. It sucks big time!
Christine a.k.a bighair

Cindy said...

Owie, funny the pain that can be caused by household items. For instance, a small bar off soap. Ice and elevate, pretty much all you can do. Hope it feels better soon!

Phoebe said...

Maybe the message is to do meal preparation in closed shoes. (Yeah, right.) An old boyfriend of mine, a great cook, was sautéing in nothing but running shorts. The hot fat went right through the nylon shorts and landed on a very sensitive area. Since then he only cooks wearing jeans!

for_the_lonely said...

Owie!!!! How is it doing now???

Sarah