Monday, May 23, 2005

The Younger Years, Final

I started dating this man and thought I was going to marry him. Some nights at the bar, the old boyfriend and the new man were at the bar. It was pretty funny. They knew who each other were and were cordial. Old boyfriend and I parted on friendly terms and remained friends.

New man and I would go out to dinner and if going back to the bar, had to bring something to Susie. It was customary. If somebody goes out to eat, they are supposed to bring something back. We humored her.

New man took me to his house and it was lovely and sparsely furnished. One Saturday he came by the bar to see me and told me he was getting some chemicals for his pool. I asked, "You have a pool?" The blinds were closed. I had no idea. Just shows how much I didn't know about him, but I was crazy about him.

I invited new man to come to dinner with my family at Christmas. He came by the bar one day before and gave me a beautiful pair of earrings. Diamond and sapphire. Susie finally liked new man! "Oh, these are nice," she says. Then tells me that he is a good man and will treat me right! I asked new man why he gave the earrings to me early and he told me he didn't want to give me something that personal in front of my family. He bought me perfume to unwrap in front of my family.

New man asked me to go on a vacation. Anywhere I wanted to go. I said, "Paris." We had the tickets and passports and then I broke my ankle. Bad break, second time, same break, pins and plates to put it all back together again. When I was released from the hospital. I moved in with him. He brought a bed downstairs for me. He was so sweet. I loved him and loved how funny he was. We laughed all the time. Never made it to Paris.

On the day we were to go to Paris, we went to Vegas and got married. Me with my leg up in the back seat of the car. Nobody knew. We just did it and then told everybody. Eight weeks after we met.

We did go to Roatan in Honduras after my ankle healed. It was so beautiful and only the second time I had ever been out of the country. I will write about that another time.

We have been married for 15 years.

7 comments:

lightfeather said...

Oh I am such a sucker for romance. Do go on. More, more, more!

Heidi said...

Yet another easy read ..Thanx for sharing this one.


Looking forward to more.

author said...

I agree... tell more.
Love a ood love story.
What a great guy you have there !

Grumpy Old Man said...

You need to tell the story of the jitney to Coxen Hole.

And the hermit crab.

lightfeather said...

I came back for me. Now I will act out like a spoiled brat. I wanted to read more. wah! wah! wah!

Nancy said...

Grumpy is the man!

Anne said...

hey, thanks nancy! that stephen b has been a thorn in our collective side for far too long. enough already, and i wish he go away and leave rosie and her blog alone. nice stories you write here!