Monday, June 20, 2005

The Adoption

Today is a very bittersweet day for me. If you have read my Choices story, then you know about Lilly. Lilly was me.

I got pregnant at fourteen, by a nineteen year old guy. I saw him for a while before I actually went to his apartment. When I left his apartment, I was no longer a virgin. I never saw the loser guy again either.

When I realized I was pregnant, I became a very terrified fourteen year old. I was deathly afraid to tell my parents, so I didn't. I told no friends either. I continued going to school, most of the time, at least through the first two terms of the pregnancy. My mother put me on a diet. I wore smock tops and sweatshirts to hide my growing belly.

Three days before I had the baby, my mother asked me if I was pregnant. I told her yes. She asked if the baby was moving. I said, yes. I asked her if she was going to tell my father, and she said, yes. There it was the day I dreaded for nine months. I stayed in my room for hours. I finally went downstairs to get a drink in the darkened kitchen. I turned around with my glass of water in my hand and my father was standing there. He hugged me. I cried. This was not the way I thought it would be. The sky did not fall, the earth didn't open up and swallow me, I got a much needed hug.

My mother and I spent the next couple of days preparing for the baby. I had to get a pregnancy test, ridiculous as that sounds. I had to see a social worker because I had decided to give my baby up for adoption. If my mother had not come to me when she had, who knows what I would have resorted to. Having a baby in my bedroom? Luckily, I never had to find out.

The next day I began having contractions. I didn't know what they were though. Nobody told me anything about how I would feel or what to expect. Finally, very late that night, I woke my brother to get my mother. She and my father drove me to the hospital. The pain was unbearable. The nurses asked me who my doctor was. I told them I didn't have one. The were very unhappy with me, to say the least. I asked for something for the pain. They would not give me anything and told me they were worried about the baby.

I had a boy, he weighed nearly twelve pounds. Due to being on a diet and filling my purse with candy, no doubt had something to do with his size. The nurses took my beautiful little baby to another room and would not let me hold him, since I was giving him up for adoption. At fifteen, I didn't know enough to argue with them.

I was put on a floor away from maternity. It seemed like the longest two days of my life being in that hospital. My parents had told family and friends that I had an appendectomy. I started getting cards and flowers.

One day the social service woman called and told me she needed to get the father's signature on the relinquishment papers. Unless I wanted to list the father as unknown on the birth certificate. I didn't want that. I also told her if he didn't sign the papers, I would not be giving my child up. There was no way, loser guy was getting my child. He signed them, quickly and quietly, from what I was told.

When my baby was eight weeks old, I finally got to hold him. My mother and I went to the social services office so I could sign the relinquishment papers. I remember asking my mother if I wanted to keep him, could I. She said, of course, and that they would raise him as my brother. I didn't want that for my son. I wanted him to have a loving home and be raised by a real mother and father. Not for him to be raised as my brother. And certainly not by his grandparents, whom he would think were his actual parents.

I got non identifying information about the adoptive parents. They already had one son who was adopted. They said they would let their kids know they were adopted. I liked that. Not that I expected a knock on my door one day, but because it was honest. I signed the papers and kissed baby Michael Paul goodbye. I was sure his parents would rename him. He was on his way to a new loving home and I was going to be a regular fifteen year old again.

I have never regretted that decision. I was so unprepared to be a mother. I was so young. But, I will forever remember the day.
June 20, 1975. Today, is Michael Paul's 30th birthday.

11 comments:

Cindy said...

Another earthquake!
Yes, 14 is too young to have to deal with these things. A hug to you on this special day. 1975, I graduated high school.

Heidi said...

{{{Nancy}}} a hug to you and a Happy Birthday to your son Michael Paul.

Puffer said...

Wow what a story. My close friend gave up her baby too. I think adoption is such a beautiful story but it always has a sad story too. To me to give a baby another chance at a different life is amazing.
Your amazing.
I have just gotten up and started my day but this will be on my mind.
Christine

Anne said...

about 3 years ago up here on the coast, i was working with a woman about my age, mother of 3, the eldest had just finished her senior year of h.s. this girl was pregnant, and never told her folks, and somehow they never caught on, which still amazes me...one morning after everyone left the house, she/daughter climbed into the bathtub and went into labor, delivering that baby boy all alone. her mom came back to the house right after this happened, called an ambulance. both were okay, luckily. but i still wonder about how that was able to happen. i mean, i understand that poor girls reluctance to tell them, but how did they not know that their baby was having a baby? it solidified my pact with myself as a mother, to work my ass off to be "in the loop" of my kid's lives, so they will never be afraid to tell me ANYTHING. so far, they do. this was a sad tale with a lovely end to it, nancy. you made the choice to give him a life of security and love. and i bet he loves you for that. thanks for a beautiful story to start my work week.

TheMommason said...

What a great tribute to you and your son and his adoptive family. I was given a miricle since I was not suposed to be able to have children and if I had not had that gift I would hope that God would have given me a child through adoption. Always remember you gave someone like me that cried and wondered "Why me" miscarriage after miscarriage the most wonderful gift they could ever be given!

Bless you sweety! And Happy Birthday Michael Paul!

Nancy said...

You are all very kind. Thanks for the comments.

Anne, you bring up a couple of things that I want to comment about. The fact that you want to be involved in your kids lives and be in the loop is how I feel too. As, most mothers would, I hope. I over obsess sometimes when talking to my girls about certain issues. Because I didn't learn from my parents, I pound it into their beautiful heads.

The other thing, is a story about my grandmother's housekeeper. The housekeeper had a cousin who nobody knew was pregnant and she too had her child alone. Her family found out as well. But, I will never forget the look on my mother's face when my grandmother said, "How can your child be pregnant and you not know it?" I saw such pain in my mother's face. It had to haunt her for the rest of her life. Although, she never mentioned anything to me about it.

I told my hubby, tomorrow I will post something cheery. He told me he reread today's post and got all verklempt again. I asked him why he reread it if he felt that way the first time. He just wanted to reread it. He felt the same way on Sunday with my Father's Day post. Which is why it is time to write something cheery and maybe even funny!

Anne said...

hey nancy~ you know you never have to apologize for verklempt posts to me, of all people. ;) to quote a joan armatrading song: "show some emotion... light up if you're feelin' happy, but if it's sad then let those tears roll down" i like your stories, both the happy and sad ones.

lightfeather said...

I know that I have told you before, but I thank god and all of the Lilly's in the world for bringing me life's greatest gift. My daughter. If not for another Lilly, I would have been lost in this world.Never quite whole. So thank you. Thank you.

Jaded said...

What a story of love, compassion, selflessness and bravery. Happy
Birthday to your son, Michael Paul.

CrackerLilo said...

You did a wonderful thing for yourself and the little one you were entrusted with.

Happy Birthday to Michael Paul.

And *hugs* to you.

Blessed be!

for_the_lonely said...

You are loved, Nancy.

Happy Birthday wishes for your son.

Love,
Sarah