Saturday, June 04, 2005

My 13 year old's wise poem

The Tears that Flow

You ask me why I weep?
You wish to know what makes my tears?
Well, while I hide in my mind’s keep,
through my eyes flow out my fears.

Maybe you should find a mirror,
maybe there you’ll find the cause.
For the society into which I peer,
makes me sadder than I once was.

I cry because you’re how you are,
a slave to others, who are slaves to you.
The words you say can eternally scar,
I cry due to the things you do.

You may mean it just in passing,
you may consider yourself kind.
But the kindness isn’t everlasting,
and I’ve seen the workings of your judgmental mind.

You judge them by the way they look,
you don’t consider other’s thoughts.
The people with a different outlook,
the good ones who’s happiness, society clots.

I cry due to the world I live in,
I weep for the innocent days of bliss.
Tears flow for the world that could have been,
but now it’s unfairness in this world, so amiss.

I weep because I remember times,
when the young were really kids.
And distant from this world that grinds,
individuality down to all but what 'cool' forbids.

This is a melancholy time,
where we should be united.
So why is it, that sadly I’m,
or rather we’re, still undecided.

So if you wish to know the source itself,
and why I feel so grim.
Then take a good look at yourself,
and look past just a whim.

So if you dare to ask me why,
as if you’re unrelated.
Then I’ll reply with a big sigh,
“for the world that those like you've so desecrated.”

-- Zoë Epstein


Here's a new poem for you all to examine. Think about it.

9 comments:

Anne said...

really powerful, and timely.
well done, zoe. thanks for sharing that with us, nancy!

Cindy said...

Very powerful, it could be a song!
Keep writing Zoe.

lightfeather said...

An indigo, this child. Wise beyond her years. Knowledge of a many lifetimes. You are blessed.

BonnyT said...

Have you got an old soul on your hands, Nancy?

Enjoyable :)

the bright one said...

Thanks for your compliments, I try to know something about everything.

author said...

wow Zoe, as an avid poetry buff I can say that this is simply amazing.
Not considering your age.. with no thought to age at all.
It is just good.

Heidi said...

Ok this is strange..I remember posting a comment and now it's gone..I wonder if by mistake my comments to Zoe landed on someone elses blog..lol oops.

Anywayyy..let me say again..Zoe that was fantastic..13 wow!

for_the_lonely said...

Wowzers, Zoe!!! That was awesome...you write like someone who is three times your age. You have a lot of wisdom..always keep that close to your heart. Best wishes to you, hun.

Sarah

rachelcunigham said...

wow this actually discribes eexactly how i feel wish i could sum it up as well as u zoe realy great!