Friday, June 17, 2005

Hodgepodge

I have many things running through my head and decided to just blog them all down today. No order. No reason.

Yesterday, I picked up my daughters from school and a gave a friend a lift up the hill, not too far from the school. She is a tiny thing and struggles carrying her backpack and oh so cute purse to her house. Only 7 or so houses from the school, but uphill, on the way home. Anyhow, she always has trouble with the door of my car, as she is on a hill and it is heavy. Yesterday, she had no trouble with the door and it seemed lighter to her. She said, "Did you, like take all the mechanisms out of this door?" I said, "No, I didn't take anything out of the door, like or otherwise." She just stared at me and didn't get what I said at all. If she can use the word, mechanism, to describe the inside of a car door, she sounds like a pretty smart sixth grader. Now add the word like to the sentence and she doesn't sound very smart anymore. And she is a very bright girl.

As are my daughters. When they tell stories, I silently count the number of times they say like. When the story is over, I say, "Do you realize you just used the word like seven times?" Instead of commenting on the story first. It really bugs me that even the brightest kids and adults alike, use the word like inappropriately, in nearly every sentence. No matter what their IQ is, it simply drops by at least twenty points every time the word is used. I am determined to rid my daughters of the habit of saying, like in every sentence they utter!


Backpacks. I hate seeing all those kids bogged down with heavy backpacks. Lost long ago are the lockers of yesteryear. Too much trouble to keep drugs and weapons out? There were locker checks when I was in school. Why can they not do it now? Oh, lawsuits and reasonable cause to search lockers....Unbelievable. Think students cannot carry drugs and/or weapons in their backpacks? Can't search those either, so put the damn lockers back in!

Business plan....Start Chiropractic practice.

I wish I knew how to do the HTML. I could ask my daughter, but she is getting ready to spend the day at Knott's Berry Farm, with her eighth grade class. And from what I understand, all are graduating! LOL

The eighth graders are taking a school bus to Knott's. About twenty miles away. I wonder about safety belts. Should the bus have them so the kids are buckled safely in their seats? Or, should they not be buckled in and be able to escape quickly? My answer is, they should be buckled in for safety… Seems like a no brainer. We know it saves lives in auto crashes, why would it not save mass quantities on a bus?


I just read that Tom proposed to Katie. No surprise. What is a surprise, is how quickly he turned her in to a Scientologist. In the name of love? It's good enough for Kirsty, John T and his wife Kelly P and of course, Tommy, right? C'est la vie....


Birthday presents. How much to spend? Seems to be a rush on to get all the birthday parties in before school ends next Thursday. Three upcoming. How much is appropriate to spend on each girl? Twenty, forty bucks? It can get very expensive.
Gift certificates or a present to open and make much over? Movie gift certs are good. Cost more than a cute outfit these days these days.

Graduation gifts. If I have a graduating eighth grader and my friend has one as well, should we just take the kids to lunch? Should I give her daughter $20 and she give my daughter $20? Unless there is a card coming and going, what is the point of that? Seems moot.


Strange occurrence last night. I looked on site meter and there had been more than twenty visits to my blog in the last hour. This baffles me. Why or what would make all those people come to my blog all of a sudden? People from around the world as well. This has happened before. Very strange and even stranger referral sites. Don't want to click them though. Not sure what is hiding behind those links. I am not listed with any blog webs that I know of...My husband is jealous of the number of hits I get. I think it is funny. I get a lot of hits, but not a lot of comments. That's probably a good thing, I visit enough blogs already. Not looking to add to this time consuming hobby.

Fact. If you google my blog title, Wifebear, google asks, Do you mean Wife Beater? Maybe that is why so many people came to my blog last evening!

7 comments:

Anne said...

the whole concept of "blog popularity" continues to crack me up. some days it feels almost like high school bullshit again! we humans are always seeking external gratification, even in the online world. i figure that there are blogs-for-all-types. some want to read the lighthearted, everyday stuff. some want to go a bit deeper. i too am anxious to get html knowledge under my belt, so i can post some of the links i like. sure, some of them might frighten a few republicans and religious zealots away, but they are not my target audience. congratulations on getting your first born through middle school... now the real fun begins! another decent-sized quake north of us last evening. like i said in a recent blog post, i think that mama earth must be really pissed off at our overall disrespect of her, and she rules!
sorry for the confounded blathering here in your comments window...!!

Nancy said...

Jana, thanks!

Annie, you can comment at your will, anytime and for as long as you like! LOL
And, I certainly don't have a target audience. That would require a theme...I like mixin it up! For myself.
Although, the people who comment here are all fun and friendly and I like you all. So far.....LOL

Jaded said...

It always shocks me that people find my blog at all. I never really thought anyone would actually READ it!

Wife beater. Too funny.

I always enjoy your posts!

Cindy said...

Like I only send $10 for a gift and make my own card. American greetings is like the best.
Tom and Katie, did you see David Letterman ask Nicole about his Oprah appearance, the look on her face!

Heidi said...

Nancy..Thankyou so much for the sitemeter lesson..You have alot of paitence..More than I do. :)

Nancy said...

It was fun! No problem at all!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I need a site meter lesson too! How did I find your blog? Ummmmm...like, I'm not sure...just clicked on your link from someone elses blog I think! LOL Peace.