Saturday, June 25, 2005

Surely, I Jest.....

I have decided that being an Orthodontist would be a good thing for my children. At least something to fall back on since one wants to be an actress. The other wants to be a therapist...I suppose she will have to study for that profession, and a good choice at that. Everybody needs a therapist, some just don't know it yet!

Why can't the other one go to orthodontist school, while acting on the side...Just in case! So many actors will never make it. Not saying my daughter won't. She is rather obsessed and will probably be able to support herself on an actor's income. But there is no need to add waitressing to her resume...Right? Okay, not saying their is anything wrong with waitressing. Been there done that.....Don't be throwing hate balls at me.

Every other wait person in So Cal is a wanna be, waiting for their big break, part time or out of work actor. Would it be so bad if they were an orthodontist, waiting for their big break, part time, and out of work actor? I think not! I think it would be brilliant. Yes, it would be brilliant.

If my daughter became an orthodontist, she could act on the side til she gets her big break. Then she could sell her practice, if she marries the likes of Tom Cruise and gets her name on the big time map. Or, if she remains as smart as she is now, she will not marry the likes of Tom Cruise, but she can then let her associate do the work for a while. She can still own the practice. Just act instead. Good investment all the way around....In my motherly opinion.

If she decides she no longer wants to act, and say she is rich and famous. She can put her photos on the walls to get new business! Perhaps grace the office with her presence once in a while! She will not have to stick her fingers in any mouths. She owns the practice for heaven's sake! She didn't sell it, she kept it as an investment! Yes, I think I will suggest this to my seventh grader. She will of course say, "YUCK!" at first. But I have many years to work on her.....

I saw probably three hundred mouths with braces at school the other day. Just one of the four schools here in town. If I were one of the local orthodontists, and been to the school, I would be thinking, cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching, times one hundred at least! And I would have shown off my perfect teeth with a huge gratifying smile....Chachingarooni!!!

Let's do the math...The orthodontist has 1000 patients. She gets $3000 per mouth. That is $3,000,000! Okay, they have overhead too. But holy crap, with that kind of income, they can own everything they buy very quickly. And hire competent help as well. Let's face it, the help does the work and the orthodontist gets final approval. Not like it used to be where the orthodontist does the wiring herself. Perhaps in the beginning, she will have to stick her hands in the mouths of her patients. Surely the yuck factor will fade with the chaching factor!

And then the siblings would begin rolling in. Their turn....Never ending patients. With all the multiple births these days, even better! Crooked teeth will never go away. It would be important to be in a smallish town too. That way she can get a bigger piece of the pie.

I believe this is a well thought out plan. Of course my daughter will have to comply. But, if she doesn't want to, then I will still love her. She will be a great actress and everybody will love her. That would be a completely different post.....

I suppose I should mention that no matter what road my children choose, I hope they have happy, loving lives. This was an in jest post!~

2 comments:

Jaded said...

Just so you know...

I never once waited on a table while I was performing for a living. Going to college is what's important. I have a bachelor of music in music theatre/voice performance, and that is what saved me from waiting tables.

When I was trying to convince my father to pay for college even though I wasn't willing to major in business, he asked me why he should fund the conservatory. My response was "If I spend all my time worrying about what I'll fall back on when I fail, I'll fail." He told me that was the right answer, and so he supported my decision.

Also, my fall back career is now teaching voice and acting privately. I sit on my fat ass in my living room, drinking tea if I wanna, wearing slippers and sweats if I wanna, and I make 60 bucks an hour. Not such a bad "failure."

I know you were joking, but I also know that as a parent, you're worried. Don't be.

Nancy said...

Oh Jaded. I didn't mean to offend you! You have the best of both worlds. An education and doing what you love. Not to metion getting paid for it!
In no way are you a failure. Not in the least!