Saturday, July 16, 2005

Blogging

I am having so much fun blogging. I have made some really terrific blog friends.

I am now getting some from other countries (other than England and Canada that is) and it is very nice to learn their cultures as well.
Two, are from Klang in Malaysia. No coincidence. One clicked me from the other's comment section.
Both are young men and they know English well. One I talk to about our cultures and the other is very funny.
Not saying the one I talk to about our cultures is not funny, he is.

Another lives in Portugal. He seems to want to make friends thru blogging and is also very nice.
He speaks English and Portuguese. As does my husband, and they now converse in Portuguese.

I have several Canadian friends. Heidi for one. Just love her.
Heidi reminds me a bit of Mary Tyler Moore from her throwing her hat in the air days. Or even "That Girl."
Bonn for another, she is very witty and has a very smart two year old.
Seems most people I meet blogging have good senses of humor.

American friends as well. Inspirational, like Lightfeather, who is always kind.
Tells it like it is, is very smart and has a huge heart is Jaded. I love our emails.
Cindy is my blog sister separated at birth. Our pasts are similar in many ways.
There is Anne, who I have a six degrees of separation story with. Although I did rant last night on her blog.
And Hollie the mom, whom I call Pong. She is just the best mother, and very loving.
Sarah, who gives us a safe place to hang, writes beautiful poetry and has a warm loving heart.
Misty and Gina crack me up, and I miss them lately.

New friends too. Others whom I visit daily and have respect for, but don't know well.
I cannot mention them all and I may have left some out. But, it is four in the morning.
It is great fun to learn about people and what makes them tick or laugh.

This kind of post is difficult because when I say something about one person, I want to use a different description for the next person. Then I want to add, not that it is not true of the person above, etc., as I did in the first paragraph. Which would be an endless post. It would be a very short post to just say all the adjectives in one line and then put a list of names below them.

The other reason is that if I say, "some are people I know," is that true? Not to some. Because I only know what they want me to know. Therefore, I don't know them very well, if at all. I know I would be called on this too.

I live in a family that calls everybody on grammatical or speaking errors, almost before the error is mouthed, and most certainly before I can correct myself. It is rather a game with us. Then I hear my children correcting their friend's grammar and I have to tell them, it is impolite to do that. Even the kindergarten teacher got hers. Don't piss off the teacher either! We have certain words we promise not to say. Whatever, the kind with an attitude. Duh, drops the IQ, unless used sarcastically, then it is funny. Actually, duh has been okay of late, since it is funny. Lately, my disdain of the phrase "My bad" has taken on a life of its own. I have never liked it since the first time I heard it. One day last week my daughter used it in front of me for the first time. I said, "Oh no you don't! You will not be using that lame phrase!" She asked why and I told her those are the dumbest words I have heard since anyways. She got it right away. And she may say among her peers, but I seriously doubt she will say it in front of me again.

And I am going back to sleep now, at least I hope I am!

Maybe later when I have my coffee, I will do another post!

10 comments:

lightfeather said...

I like you too! And you know what? I think that folks on blogs are more real than real folks. I think more honest. Anything goes in blogs so folks speak from their souls, their real and higher self. In the real world, we may hide behind our jobs, our clothes, in our houses. Not in blogs. Everything is out there! Granny panties, bazoombas and all!

And BTW...I am a grammar freak too. My kiddo once criticized a teacher as well. She didn't think it funny in the least or appropriate. I really don't like that whole "my bad" thing at all. Somehow doesn't make sense to me. Or "likey" either for that matter. I am still wondering when the word "free" changed to "for free" and now it is accepted as common language even on the news and commercials. Still don't like that one.

Anne said...

good day! hey, never worry about ranting on my blog, especially when my very post invites it! the whole online friends thing is so... surreal, yet it feels comletely real. in 10 years of being , i am still unable to accurately describe it. as eeyore said, "thanks for noticin' me...!"

Cindy said...

I woke up early this morning but forced myself back to sleep. It's just so humid outside and still no air conditioner in my room. Vanessa stopped by yesterday and went up to use the bathroom, came back downstairs and said that she had to get Steve off of his ass and get that air-conditioner over here for me.
She called this morning to tell me her toilet broke and now they have to rip the floor out of the bathroom and the ceiling out of the kitchen. I'm thinking the air-conditioner is on hold again.

Anne said...

my above comment lacks the word "online", when i wrote..."in ten years of being" doh!

Heidi said...

A Canadian Hug to you {{Nancy}}..That was very kind of you to say..I have to laugh at the MTM comment for 2 reasons..#1 You are the second person who mentioned that about me..and #2 I can't get that song out of my head now..lol

I consider you my blog friend as well, with alot of patience .. ;)

Jaded said...

Knowing only what people show you is no different here than in real life. Although here, I think people shed their inhibitions more readily than in person. There's a certain degree of anonymity that makes it easier to just "be" as opposed to being someone or something in particular. My hub will tell you that who you see on my blog is only part of me...the part I don't often get to show in real life. Oh, he knows that part, but really...can I have a political rant with a 16 year old student? I think not.

As for grammar, well, I write the way I speak for the most part. My father is a former English teacher, so spelling and grammar were a big part of our lives! I'm also worried about this "duh" situation because I say it alot, ususally with sarcasm. My IQ is 146, so, would it be higher if I stopped saying it?

I love our emails too. Chatty fingers and whatnot. I've met people through my blog that I now consider real friends, whether we've met face to face or not. Here's a little info for ya...I met Mr. Jaded online and we were married 10 months later. We'll be married 10 years in December. When all you have are words on a screen, you get to really see the person to whom you are talking.

author said...

Hi Nancy,
I love this post.
I feel so much of what you do too
about this blogging world.

When I tell people I know that I blog
and that there is a whole lovely on
line community of bloggers they are stunned.
I encourage them all to get on line.
I am sure they must think I have no
life outside of computers as I also
design web sites and manitain mailing
lists for varous causes.

I too met my spouse on line and yes it
is the "from the carolinas..." Jan
that I am married to. All this time I
thought that you knew that.
Too funny.

I'm glad you read and reply there.
She is an amazingly compassionate friend. So is Camille and will welcome
you to her heart just as easily.

(I have to say it is about time for another exquisite Zoe poem.)

Have a great Sunday.

King of Helview said...

Lightfeather is right

Blogging is a very true represntation of a person. Shows how boring and stupid everyone else is compared to me

Phoebe said...

Once Grumpy was telling me a story about Katharine who was 4 at the time. He said, "Then Katharine said, 'If I were...,'" and I said, "Stop right there. Katharine uses the subjunctive?" "Oh, yes," said Grumpy.

EngLee said...

Glad to have you mentioned about me! I'm enjoying blogging as much as you do!