Sunday, July 24, 2005

Pink Eye and Goodbye, Etc.

Well, David's daughter Daniela and family just left for the airport. Home to Houston. Wonderful to see them.

David and Phoebe are watching Lance capture his seventh Tour de France title. Leaving on top and nice of him to let others have a go at winning next year! I suppose he will be a commentator next year. One woman on NPR has been giving reports and said there are flags from many countries. She said one fan was dressed in bike clothing and wearing a cowboy hat and cowboy boots holding an American flag. Not that the French would think him a crazy American. That would be redundant.

Katharine climbed into bed with David and me last night. She has been sleeping with Zoe and Zoe was watching Anime, which Katharine hates. I felt bad for her. No country to go to. She slept with us and I don't know when she left. But, tonight, she will have her room back and that will be good to be "home" again. She very graciously gave her room to her big sister and brother in law and nephews....

We played Loaded Questions, the game, without the board, last night. Hard not to answer without puns. Fun though. For example, What is your favorite kind of dog? Daniela says, "Hotdog!" That kind of thing...

I had a suspicion I was getting a cold last night. I woke up with pink eye. I looked it up and it seems I have the viral kind...No clue where I got it. Itches and is red and unsightly! Pun intended. I can't remember the last time I had it. I know it is highly contagious though. David said, "We better not eat anything you cook then!" That would be the good side effect! I just remembered Zoe asking me if I was okay last night because my eye was red and she thought I had been crying. I told her I was just tired. Hope nobody else gets it...I should stay in my room and watch movies all day, just in case! LOL

It is going to be cooler again today. Yesterday was perfect weather. Today we have cloud cover and I am wearing a sweater. I think we are in for a few days of beautiful weather. I have a superstition about putting away the fans in October or November. I think if I put them away, the hot weather will stay. So, as silly as it is, I leave them out til I put up Christmas decorations!

So far, we have been fortunate not to have fires. Last year we were surrounded by fires. Not our house, but the areas in all directions. The smoke was thick and mixed with the heat, very ugly. I just heard about the seventy-thousand acre fire in Arizona...I know that fires are part of nature, and necessary, but not the man made kind...The idiots who toss cigarettes out a car window or start a fire while camping or the pyro who wants to see his handiwork, while watching the destruction of people's lives.

There was a fire here in October 1993. We lived in an adjoining city then. Over three hundred homes were destroyed. Santa Ana winds and very high temperatures. I don't think they ever figured out what started the fire. However, very devastating.

Well, they stopped the clock due to the weather in the Tour de France. Just waiting for Lance to cross the finish line. And on that note....I shall bid you adieu.

6 comments:

Puffer said...

I am glad u are having fun
with ur company
I had pink eye before it
sucks
A few years ago Kelowna
a town in the lower
mainland was on fire
it was unreal.

Cindy said...

Did you get medicine for your pink eye? It's nasty stuff, and yes very contageous.

Heidi said...

Nancy, sorry about your pink eye..Hope u have a speedy recovery...Lock yourself in the room and watch all the movies..lol /just kidding ;)

Anne said...

hope you feel better soon

Just Jan said...

I had pink eye back in February...it was bad and I had to take 3 days off of work since I work around food. If you haven't already, get the meds.

Karen said...

get it checked out just in case it is the contagious kind--the meds will clear it up pretty fast.

I would still rent several movies and plan on hiding out with a bag of popcorn and a cold drink--I heard it helps you heal faster :)
hee hee.
take care and get better soon,
Karen