Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Snoring

Snoring. I do it. I hate it. It is very common and annoying. More annoying to those who have to hear it!

I listen to NPR every morning and this morning I found myself laughing at a story about snoring. Not that snoring is funny, because it can be serious. But laughing at the thought of doing this woman's exercises....

There is an English woman who wrote a book called Singing for Snorers. She said her exercises won't help everybody, but it will help those with un-toned soft palates.

One of the exercises she explained today was, to sing umm-garr...umm where the back of your palate touches the back of your tongue and gar where your mouth opens. She sang a version and fortunately none of you will hear me sing this. She reminded me of Eliza Dolittle singing dialect. The author says to go around all day and just sing umm-garr. She said this will strengthen the soft palate and will eliminate snoring in some!

When asked how she came up with this therapy, she said, she had a friend who mimicked how he sounded when he snores. Apparently, he or somebody taped this snore, because it would be difficult to hear your own snore. And since she is a singer, it came to her that it was a soft palate sound....Hence the book.

Haven't the time this morning to give more details, but you may find her book on NPR.org, it was on Morning Edition. I am going to give it a try and sing umm-garr all day today. It should be interesting and provoke a few questions or at least weird looks! This is going to be fun....This may be in my how to embarrass your teenager post some day!

Jaded probably understands this method. And can sing it much better than I. To sing it, the umm is more like ohm sounding and the garr is more operatic and sounds several notes higher. Jaded, help me out here. How do I explain how to sing this in words???

8 comments:

BonnyT said...

I sleep with a snorer.
I gave birth to a snorer.
I AM a snorer.

Nice, peaceful evenings around here...;)

Cindy said...

I'm a snorer too. A couple years ago we went to Disney. I slept in the same room with Anthony and his friend. Every single day, I had to hear imitations of my snoring. Quite humiliating.

Just Jan said...

omg...this is so funny...I snore as well. My sinuses are horrible and I had some surgery 5 years ago and now it just seems to be worse. I only sleep with the dog and he snores to so it's not so bad. My Bob tells me I have a little girlie snore when I go stay with him or he comes here...but I know it's louder than that...lol. If I tried this little exersize, I'd be the laughing of stock everywhere I was...but it does seem to sound like it might work. Never know unless we try right?..lol

Cindy said...

Jan, I guess I snore pretty loud, according to the kids I sound like an old man. Seriously, I've woke myself up sometimes when I fall alseep on the couch!

Jaded said...

Your soft palate is very important in singing so it must be toned. It controls range and pitch. A lazy soft palate makes for a very flat singer. It would take way more space than I should ever use in a comment to explain vocal chord adduction to you, but trust me, it's necessary.

Here's an easier soft palate exercise for you... whine like a puppy dog. Y'know, like a little puppy whining to go out or something. Really concentrate on the movement in the back of your throat. Your soft palate is the part of your throat that the uvula is hanging on...only I call it the punching bag, 'cause that's what it looks like. In any case, usually, when it lifts, it triggers the yawning mechanism. Think about it...just close your mouth and try to lift the punching bag, and you'll yawn.

Another exercise is to breathe in through your nose like you're smelling a really beautiful flower. Then on one big "ahhh" sound, squeek as high as you can and trail down to as low as you can... sounds sort of like a siren descending. Both of these really stretch and strengthen the soft palate, and every one of my students starts with these exercises as part of their initial technique lessons. They work.

The only thing I disagree with in respect to the snoring is that when you're asleep, your muscles are relaxed, so even singers snore, myself included sometimes. And trust me when I tell you that my soft palate is very strong. My hub is a TERRIBLE snorer to the point that I've contemplated smothering him (not really) and Breathe Right strips help him. Just a thought.

Nancy said...

Thank you Jaded. I knew you would be the perfect person to know about this. Even though you could have taught us a lot more, I am sure. I know this is what you do! Not the snoring part, but the voice lessons.

You were so much more eloquent than I was with umm-garr...LOL

Thanks for the lesson...I will check into the Breathe Right strips at Costco tomorrow!

elsa @ help stop snoring said...

Singing can really help stop snoring. I've even heard that you should sing 20 minutes/day to cure it.

Makes sense..

Richard C. Lambert said...

because it would be difficult to hear your own snore. And since she is a singer, it came to her that it was a soft palate sound....Hence the book. best snoring device