Monday, July 04, 2005

Home for the 4th of July

I am home for the 4th of July this year. For the last three years I have not been in America for her birthday.

Three years ago we were in Italy. My husband had gotten there a week before us so he could ride his bike in the mountains. He loved it. I will post about this trip another day.

Two years ago the family and I went with friends to Huahine. One of Tahiti's Islands. You may have seen her on my blog. The mountain range looks like a pregnant woman on her back. The island of fertility...Luckily not for me! It was a wonderful trip and I will post about that another day as well.

The tall ship, GOM (my husband) in the kyack and the photo of my girls and myself are in Huahine as well. The other shot is here, Laguna Beach, sunrise from our home, when it isn't foggy! And Pat the cat with Charlie the pup in Dec. Charlie was our new addition.

Today, I want to write about my trip to Huahine without my family, with my friends last year. It was a vacation unlike any other. As much as I love my family, it was truly a vacation for me...

I read Sweet Potato Queen books and Patricia Cornwell. I didn't have to worry about where the kids were. I didn't have to worry about making meals or not... I got up when I wanted, I went to sleep when I wanted, I did what I wanted. I didn't have to worry about who's feelings were hurt. Not being pulled in different directions or mediating arguments with kids.

I went to Huahine with my very good friend Jami and her family. They introduced us to Huahine a few years ago. We fell in love with the place. Nature, unspoiled, the people, local life, very small island, the place where Tahitian's go for their vacations. Out of the loop of most Tahitian trips for honeymooners and others. There is a ship that comes in, but from my experience, the folks who get off the boat talk smack about the little island. As they have just left luxury for the reality of the island. They may get off the ship for lying on the beach or scuba, fishing, snorkeling or surfing off a world class reef. But not for the shopping. Paraeos (sarongs) and postcards are just about all you can get there!

We stayed at a house on the water. My family and I had stayed there before. My friends had not. They have a little house there, not on the water, but perfectly nice for their frequent trips to Huahine. It's just that in Huahine, people share things, whether you like it or not! And my friend's house is no exception. This trip they decided to rent the big house on the water and not stay in their house. They invited me along. Sweet huh?

Since my friends know everybody, I have gotten to know so many people as well. Wonderful, fun people. Who will always take care of us! We bring things down from the states to give them. Everything is so highly priced there. They are so appreciative. They usually email us a list of things they need! My friend Jami just left Saturday for a trip there and I will miss her, but I will miss the fun that goes with being there too.

Our friends Marty and Moe own Chez Guynette, a boarding house and dorm, with a little restaurant that is on the water. Outside and friendly. They know everything. She helps people rent homes on the island as well as gets them to town from the tiny airport. Moe is from Huahine and has a long family line there. He runs a taxi business now. Marty is from NJ, but sailed the Cook Islands for years, in her former life.

Dorothy knows everybody as well. Jim Croce's widow, many other famous people, but many more non famous (to most). She is the person people seek out for the history of the island. She was the love of Bobby, a singer who died too young. She has the rights to his name. She has fabulous stories and loves to tell them. She owns a bar at the tiny airport. She shuts down the bar when the airport closes, which is until another plane is scheduled to land and at night. Landing there we are treated like royalty...So many come to greet us and help us schlep our haul to the house. But, Dorothy and Marty are always among our welcoming committee.

Both Dorothy and Marty would come by the house to swim with my Jami and me everyday. We would drink Tahiti drink and hang out in the water for hours on end. People were always dropping by when we were there. Everybody was welcome and it was one big party.

Dorothy told us some old friends of hers were coming last year, when we were there. Her friends turned out to be Timothy Bottoms and his wife Marcia and their kids. Listen to these great names. Buckeye, Bodi, Bridget and I am drawing a blank on the youngest boy's name. It started with a B too.

Dorothy and Marty introduced us to them. Once that was done, we saw them daily. It was a blast. They were very nice people and they were staying on the island for a month. And they came prepared with bikes, boogie board, surf boards, and everything else to keep them busy for a month...Except Tim forgot the charger to his MAC...I always took my laptop with me and used it for movies at night. I had known from prior visits to come with more than one converter and charger for my computer so I could watch movies in bed and not drain the power. My bedroom was air-conditioned, by the way...Two bedrooms in the house had a/c with king beds...

Anyhow, Tim had planned on working while he was there, but his computer was dead. He brought over his computer and I charged it for him and sent him home that night with a converter so his cord would work! Saved the day, yes I did...

As always, we and our local friends have a luau while we are there. Coconut milk from the trees, breadfruit from the trees and fresh fish from the local fishermen. We invited the Bottoms family to join us. It was a perfect day. Long, hot, lots of swimming, lots of laughing with friends and wonderful food and drink. At the end of the luau, Tim started picking up plates and heads to the kitchen with them. I tell Marcia she has done well in training him. Tim is getting teased by all of the women. He tells us, "Hey, you have a movie star doing dishes in your kitchen!" We all laugh and I tell him he would look better with an apron...Marcia thinks this is funny. Nobody cares what you do in your real life in Huahine....

It is always sad to leave Huahine. Life is so simple there. We don't watch television, cell phones are new there, but we don't use them. We just swim, walk to town, visit, enjoy our short time with our friends. It is such a wonderful place and I will miss it this year. When I got off the plane in LA last year, I cried when I saw my family. I did miss them in the nearly three weeks I was away. And one thing that always happens when I leave there, is that I don't care what people think about me. I feel refreshed and happy. That feeling lasts for a long time. I may not look good in a bathing suit or tank tops and before I go, I am uneasy to wear them here. But, when I get back, I have a great tan and wear whatever I like...I feel good about myself and only wish that could happen right here in my own little town.

This year I want to see fireworks. I don't want to go downtown where people are already homesteading spots for the show at nine tonight. From our home we can see at least three displays. From the park down the road, five displays. No crowds...That is what I like. Now if the fog stays away long enough, we will have some beautiful sights in the night sky tonight....

Happy 4th to you all and Happy Birthday America.

5 comments:

lightfeather said...

Ahhhhhhhh...I feel better about myself and refreshed too, just reading.

Thanks for the mini vacation!

Anne said...

good day! nice thoughts you shared about huahine-lucky woman,you.
joyce leaves on wed., the 6th. also a lucky woman. things just did not work for a visit to so. cal. to see her, due to the timing and all the family stuff happening here. sigh. so, she is now pushing very hard for me to go there(tahiti) and see her. says that i can get a great price on a flight during the low-season. somehow, some way, i will. getting away as moms is always so complicated, even when the kids are big kids! nice to be needed, but a break will be most welcomed by me, one fine day. have a lovely day.

majamom said...

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for sharing the island story. I WANNA GOOOOOO!
What I would give for some cool fog...111 today In Palm Springs. My post menopausal self can only seek highly air conditioned shelter untill the coolness of evening comes.
Enjoy the fireworks show with the kids.
Namaste,
MB

Cindy said...

Nancy,
Thanks for that story, yeah, I could live like that! We're laying low today, the only thing we did was go to the grocery store.
Enough of my neighbors do fireworks that we don't have to leave our front porch!
Have a great day!

Heidi said...

As lightfeather said, thanx for the mini vacation...And it's free..lol Sounds beautitful, I'm jealous.

Happy 4th to my American Blogger Friends :)